News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Don Mills

Thanks. I visited the new plaza in May, and absolutely hated everything about it except for Jack Astor's and the Metro store.

GE Davenport Worls

Oops! Did I make a n error in my previous post of this item?

I wonder if anyone who is in this neighbourhood will show us a "Now" photo of this scene. I haven't been back in 57 years!

Attachments

• GE Davenport.jpg
    GE Davenport.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 435
Oops! Did I make a n error in my previous post of this item?

I wonder if anyone who is in this neighbourhood will show us a "Now" photo of this scene. I haven't been back in 57 years!

Goldie, your photo was taken by 'George Dunbar' in 1952 - 57 years ago.. Would you be George Dunbar?

Anyways, I'll get there in the next few days and the photo will be up in a couple of weeks. If anyone beats me to it,.. no prob from me.

I've been having a grand time at the Toronto Archives website looking at photos of McCaul/Dundas and McCaul/College. If I'd found this site before I went to Toronto in May, I would have taken some "after shots" in the area.

Well what a coincidence.;) June 14 addition.

fo12575Cser10575Cf1257_s1057_it0396.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

Goldie,

I'll try and get a photo in a day or two, as I live in the area. There's been a few changes, but the buildings are recognizable.

June 15 addition.

Front and Simcoe, looking NE across the SE corner.

ser71_s0071_it8060.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

Here is a another view of that corner before it was cleared for the loop.

fo1244_f1244_it1171.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

Last edited:
I had a look back in time from the 1930 Front & Simcoe loop picture. Goad's Maps of 1910(http://ohqdigit.tpl.toronto.on.ca/OHQ_Maps/image/189.sid) show the Grand Union Hotel on the ne corner of Front & Simcoe, followed by "R Simpson & Co's Wrehse". The building with the signage is not named, but the lower building is H S Howland & Sons & Co who were in business in 1860.
In 1860 John Strachan was still living in the Bishop's Palace at the east end of that block.

I had a look back in time from the 1930 Front & Simcoe loop picture. Goad's Maps of 1910(http://ohqdigit.tpl.toronto.on.ca/OHQ_Maps/image/189.sid) show the Grand Union Hotel on the ne corner of Front & Simcoe, followed by "R Simpson & Co's Wrehse". The building with the signage is not named, but the lower building is H S Howland & Sons & Co who were in business in 1860.
In 1860 John Strachan was still living in the Bishop's Palace at the east end of that block.

The Grand Union eventually became the 'Barclay'.

June 16 addition.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0149.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

Goldie, Aladone, I see lots of recent updates at your site. Wonderful. The postcard collection is something else.

http://torontobefore.blogspot.com/search/label/Before and After

x0

Last edited:
front & simcoe loop

Re: Front & Simcoe loop photo (1930)

Faintly visible in the background is the Royal York Hotel.

before the bridge - 1912

Here's one of my favourites (attached).
The photographer, in 1912, must have been standing at the very edge if the Don Valley ravine.

Attachments

• TN Danforth at Broadview 1 1912-2009.jpg
    TN Danforth at Broadview 1 1912-2009.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 399
And then there were the towers...

3632882406_b3baee4b6c_o.jpg

3632882392_0267c2a49f_o.jpg

Photo by Sweetone on Flickr​

Thanks Mustapha! I will try to add to this thread as much as I can as well, do some cross posting. Amazing stuff! Keep it up.....

Thanks Mustapha. You're challenging me here with a vertical and horizontal shot to work with.

Thanks Andrew. I wonder whatever became of the little girl? She would be in her late 60s now.

I have to insert some friends into now pics, 'Waldo' style.. or, myself, Alfred Hitchcock style.:)

Here's one of my favourites (attached).
The photographer, in 1912, must have been standing at the very edge if the Don Valley ravine.

You can imagine how quiet the 'Danforth' must have been prior to the viaduct.

My grandfather walked over it on opening day and he told me there was no fuss like it until the CN tower, for him anyways.

Thanks Mustapha! I will try to add to this thread as much as I can as well, do some cross posting. Amazing stuff! Keep it up.....

Nice to see you and Goldie here on a regular basis. Thank YOU.

June 17 addition. Thanks adma and rusty for id'ing this location a couple months ago. In the old picture they are digging the Parkdale Pumping Station, which is still there - pumping.

ser372_ss0025_s0372_ss0025_it0071.jpg

The Now picture ... I did NOT take the pic from the middle of the rail corridor as the photog did in the Then pic, hence you can't see the choochoo tracks. Those GO trains come pounding down this line and my hearing and reflexes aren't what they used to be. It would have been a less than senseless death.:eek: And, the old walkup apartment house only appears to be farther away: I was shooting wide angle.

DSCF0776.jpg

This sign is sited where the fourplex was in the Then pic.

DSCF0777-1.jpg

No PC access tommorrow, so here are June 18 and 19 additions. See you all Friday night.

King looking ESE towards Bay.

ser715Cs0071_it7219.jpg

DSCF0670.jpg

Front looking ESE toward Scott.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0109.jpg

DSCF1789.jpg

Back