News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks wwwebster and k10ery for the bios.

JT, that is an interesting link. Imagine; underground rivers undermining St. Mikes - who knew? :)

The weekend is here; so time for some non-Then-and-Now content.

We go to 357 Bay street.

DSC_0328.jpg

CSC_0333.jpg

CSC_0331.jpg

How about I turn these doors into a Then and Now? The plaque says that the doors graced the main entrance. Looks like in the archival pics they weren't actually the "front" doors:

f1244_it2057.jpg

Last edited:
Some great, simply breathtaking pictures of New York architecture and street life here by Berenice Abbott:

http://collections.mcny.org/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult_VPage&VBID=24UP1GTRW1DR&SMLS=1&RW=1185&RH=743

And then when you have scoured the website above; check out the Berenice Abbott exhibit at our AGO. I went; very worthwhile. Nice selection of photobooks in the gift shop. :)

http://www.ago.net/berenice-abbott-photographs

I've always admired the work of Berenice Abbott.
Her photo of the 'gunsmith' sign recalls the image of Weegee attempting a similar photo:

BereniceAbbott1937-gunsmith.jpg

Weegee-gunsmith.jpg

How about I turn these doors into a Then and Now? The plaque says that the doors graced the main entrance. Looks like in the archival pics they weren't actually the "front" doors:

f1244_it2057.jpg

thecharioteer, I will print your post and append it to the plaque.

Somebody's a gunna-get-fired. :)

I've always admired the work of Berenice Abbott.
Her photo of the 'gunsmith' sign recalls the image of Weegee attempting a similar photo:

BereniceAbbott1937-gunsmith.jpg

Weegee-gunsmith.jpg

How did you know of these coincidental photographs? Wonderful. Thank you Goldie. :)

How did you know of these coincidental photographs? Wonderful. Thank you Goldie. :)

I've been a fan of both Abbott and Weegee (Arthur Fellig) for many years and have studied a few of their books.
Dozens of their GREAT photos can be seen these days by a simple name search on Google.

Then and Now for Jun 18.

Heya, tonite we completed our 4th anniversary for this thread. :)

Then. 52 Poplar Plains Rd. c1910. F.S. Baker, Architect.

62052PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

621.jpg

The brick looks yellow to me, the original picture also looks lighter than red brick. Minor detail I guess.

Then and Now for Jun 18.

Heya, tonite we completed our 4th anniversary for this thread. :)

Then. 52 Poplar Plains Rd. c1910. F.S. Baker, Architect.

62052PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

621.jpg

Exhibition at City of Toronto Archives

Found in today's issue of OGS Toronto Branch Electronic Bulletin:

New exhibition at the City of Toronto Archives

Picturing Immigrants in the Ward: How photography shaped ideas about Central and Eastern European immigrants in early 20th-century Toronto. Toronto's City Hall is built on land with a long and fascinating history. Explore the Ward like never before through historic photographs and new work from contemporary photographer Susan Dobson. Curated by Sarah Bassnett and Patrick Mahon

Admission: FREE!

Where: City of Toronto Archives, 255 Spadina Road, toronto.ca/archives

When: Opens to the public Friday June 22, 2012
Hours: M to F 9:00 to 4:30

Found in today's issue of OGS Toronto Branch Electronic Bulletin:

New exhibition at the City of Toronto Archives

Picturing Immigrants in the Ward: How photography shaped ideas about Central and Eastern European immigrants in early 20th-century Toronto. Toronto's City Hall is built on land with a long and fascinating history. Explore the Ward like never before through historic photographs and new work from contemporary photographer Susan Dobson. Curated by Sarah Bassnett and Patrick Mahon

Admission: FREE!

Where: City of Toronto Archives, 255 Spadina Road, toronto.ca/archives

When: Opens to the public Friday June 22, 2012
Hours: M to F 9:00 to 4:30

Amazingly I've visited only once. The large, quiet and somewhat lush lobby area had a display at the time of photographs not available online.

Then and Now for June 19.

Then. 56 Poplar Plains Rd. c1910. F.S. Baker, Architect.

62256PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

623.jpg

"My knowledge of 1812 for better or worse came from Pierre Berton's books "
QUOTE Mustapha.

I was having a fine day (the rain aside) until you mentioned that man's name.

Regards,
J T

What... you don't like his writing style? :) He was certainly productive - a book a year. He also wrote '1967 - The Last Good Year'. It was indeed.

Back