News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This isn't the most exciting one ever and I could have done much better to match the angles, but here's 55 Strachan, the former John B Smith and Sons lumber company, looking north up Strachan.

Good grief clash. Have you been saving these up for us?

I think I can take a sabbatical.:)

*laugh*

No! Please don't!

Honest. That's all I got. For now.

See, I had this idea a couple of weeks ago to take old pictures from the Toronto archives, find the location of where it was taken, and then take a picture of the same location as it stands now...and yeah. Let's just say I found this thread and it saved me a lot of work. :)

Oh! Unless these count? (How old do the "then" pictures have to be, exactly?)

AR Williams:

East down East Liberty Street, the former Irwin Toy Factory on the left:

(Then pictures originally found here: http://www.cydonian.com/photos/cat12.htm)

I certainly prefer the Modernist street lamps they had then to the faux historical ones there now.

As one of the rare sorts to be a guarded skeptic of the de-wiring of Dundas in the Junction, I can see your opinion on the uprise...

I think I found it
s0381_fl0319_id12641-14.jpg

There's something about fur storage and Moderne streamlining that goes together like corned beef and cabbage (also cf. Creeds at Dav + Bedford)

Or to take a counter-view, more cliche Moderne. Somehow, it seems even more extraordinary with the pre-Confederation roughcast workers' row aesthetic intact up above. And what motivated *everything* in that row to go orgasmically Moderne? It's like each is trying to one-up the other. One wonders if there was a common landlord and what said character was like...

^ What an odd, incongruous block that is. I love the ground floor but a flat roof on top would have made this block spectacular.

A year earlier
s0372_ss0033_it0229.jpg

It looks like the roof is being re-shingled after the de-gabling(?).
s0372_ss0033_it0391.jpg

A year earlier
s0372_ss0033_it0229.jpg

It looks like the roof is being re-shingled after the de-gabling(?).
s0372_ss0033_it0391.jpg

Ah, so that's even weirder--it was Victorian, not neo-Georgian. The reno made the old parts look even older than they were (in a stucco = roughcast way)

interesting story in the Globe. the then and now are only 25 years apart

Excellent! Thanks for the heads-up. I'm one of those people who needs numbered photgraphs in order to understand (and remember) how much this city has changed over the past couple of decades.

Back