News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have found the pop culture aesthetics of the early 70's at the Uptown and the Imperial theatres to be ugly.

But not unworthy of cherishing, had they survived to this day. (And the Uptown nearly did: incredible that the 1970-style supergraphic concept lasted past Y2K.)

The Uptown was definitely a case where, t/w the end, the rear had more aesthetic worth than the front. (And I'm not even talking about the big barn of the theatre proper.)

Sorry if this ruffles any feathers, but I'll take the Pantages as it looks now over the Imperial and Imperial Six appearance any day. Those garish colours do nothing for me AT ALL!

Well, I'll take the Pantages/Canon only from a present-day marketing standpoint, i.e. you're not going to pitch to the Andrew Lloyd Webber crowd with a humongous 40s/50s-pop sign pylon or with a 70s-Pop sleek portholed cube.

Though it also says something about the crowd in question, i.e. theatrical-musical Chedingtonistas...

July 17 addition.

July 20th - Correct 'Now' picture has been posted.

Thanks Anna for id'ing this location. This was a couple of months ago and I only recently managed to get to the location.

Adelaide and York SE corner.

adelaidebuilding.jpg

DSCF0936.jpg

Last edited:
July 17 addition.

Thanks Anna for id'ing this location. This was a couple of months ago and I only recently managed to get to the location.

Adelaide and York SE corner.

adelaidebuilding.jpg

DSCF0858.jpg

I wonder whether this really is the SE corner of Adelaide and York. Though by the cars, it seems from the 1920's (and the Globe and Mail Building, which would have been to the right, wasn't built until the 1930's) it doesn't seem right. York street looks too narrow and we know that the SE corner of King and York at this point was the Hotel Metropole (formerly the Rossin House) which doesn't match the building peaked in the distance.

I wonder whether this really is the SE corner of Adelaide and York. Though by the cars, it seems from the 1920's (and the Globe and Mail Building, which would have been to the right, wasn't built until the 1930's) it doesn't seem right. York street looks too narrow and we know that the SE corner of King and York at this point was the Hotel Metropole (formerly the Rossin House) which doesn't match the building peaked in the distance.

I refound (is that a word?) :) the photo notes from the archives:

"Title Adelaide Building

Date(s) of creation of record(s) [ca. 192-?]

Physical description of record(s) 1 photonegative : glass, b & w ; 14 x 19 cm

Form of material Photographs - buildings - exterior views

Forms part of Fonds 1257; Alexandra Studio fonds

Series 1057; Alexandra Studio commissioned photographs

Scope and content Item is an image of an office building located on the south east corner of Adelaide St. West and York St. Building includes Premier Engraving Company Ltd., Central Scientific Company of Canada Ltd., and National Stationers Ltd."

Yes, on second consideration it doesn't appear right. I used the search term "adelaide york' in the archives search engine and came back with no photos showing this intersection from other angles or distances; which would have helped solve this.

Was it on the NW corner? That substantial building in the distance behind it would have been on King or Richmond then.

Can any UTers help?

Last edited:
Is it possible that it is the NE corner of Adelaide and York with the former Canada Permanent Building in the background?

I think I may have solved the mystery: this building was on the SE corner of Adelaide and York but the view is looking NE! The street to the right is Pearl Street which no longer exists east of York. I think Jaborandi is correct and that is the Canada Permanent Building. The picture below seems to show this building in the centre, behind that church spire:

CN005897.jpg

I think I may have solved the mystery: this building was on the SE corner of Adelaide and York but the view is looking NE! The street to the right is Pearl Street which no longer exists east of York. I think Jaborandi is correct and that is the Canada Permanent Building. The picture below seems to show this building in the centre, behind that church spire:

CN005897.jpg

I'll go back and redo the Now pic. Thanks everyone.

Here is a picture of the parking garage/gas station on the n/e corner of York & Adelaide. You can see it in the background of the picture of the Adelaide Building - the decoration over the windows is the same
f0124_fl0002_id0102.jpg

While searching, I also found this one of a parking lot at the corner of Adelaide & University in 1967. I thought I would post it because of the rates.
f1257_s1057_it5671.jpg

Last edited:
Mystery street sign

Does anyone care to guess the location of this Yonge St. sign (attached)?

It was revealed during renovations to a building 28 years ago (the building still exists!).

Attachments

• Yonge St sign.jpg
    Yonge St sign.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 369

Back