• City Morgue.jpg
    City Morgue.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 100 Lombard copy.jpg
    100 Lombard copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 880
"City Morgue and now ? 100 Lombard."
QUOTE: DSC.

There are at the least two other pics of the exterior of The Morgue, (The Coroner's Office) one being taken as a similar view

but from farther east, showing the dumping of snow into a street sewer, (warm water running within the sewerage line.)

and an other during a "no snow" period captured with a n/w shot. There is an other pic of the Viewing Area,

s/w corner, left of the main door, and could be an other of the Examination Room. The office

to the right of the main door was the Attendant's Office. One of the men within

during the late 1960's was Chris; he was found murdered

in an Eastern Ontario lakeside town.

RIP.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Parliament just south of Queen. Question: I assume these were "Public Conveniences" - are they still below the street?

Parliament and Queen.jpg
Parliament and Queen-Google copy.jpg

Attachments

• Parliament and Queen.jpg
    Parliament and Queen.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 919
  • Parliament and Queen-Google copy.jpg
    Parliament and Queen-Google copy.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 861
House for Dr. G. R. McDonagh, 329 Church Street, south of Gerrard. One of E. J. Lennox's finest residential designs, built in 1888, demolished in 1970.

From Eric Arthur's No Mean City:

On this very nice town house of a well-to-do doctor the architect for the City Hall lavished a good deal of care. The Richardsonian manner of the City Hall shows in the basket weave brickwork,carving and the very handsome dormer.

View attachment 16089

The irony. Replaced by Ryerson's (ironic in itself) Architecture Building.

gee, my dad had a chop suey restaurant for 35 years in east york. recently talked to the owner of hong kong bean sprout and says that bean sprouts which is the main ingredient in chop suey is not what it used to be. wayyyyyy down from it's hay day.
I really don't see how anyone can eat a whole order of that.... but to each his own.

btw, with lows and quans, are you a lung konger?

Hi Koolgreen,

My parents are lung kongers; I attend the occasional dinner when they've bought a table, can't find friends to fill it and don't want to see food wasted. At my age, it's no longer a novelty to make the schlepp across town for a free Chinese banquet dinner. :)

UT-ers: Lung Kong is a Chinese 'family association'...

Hi everyone.

I'm no longer underwater and am back on an occasional basis.

The posts over my past month's absence really bring into contrast how things have improved here haven't they? :)

Thank you for everyone's kind comments.

Back on July 13 I was minding my own business when I saw that the Westwood Theatre was finally coming down.

http://www.buildtoronto.ca/sites/default/files/MEDIA RELEASE WestwoodDemolition June 17 2013.pdf

So I took some pictures; enjoy.

CSC_6391_zps08660e97.jpg

CSC_6393_zps6dc3f355.jpg

CSC_6395_zps802e2b09.jpg

DSC_6406_zpsf9f24ca6.jpg

DSC_6400_zpse47953b5.jpg

There was no light in the interior, save for a bit through an open door falling on the lower right, the place was otherwise pitch black to the eye. So this is a long exposure, that's why it looks a bit odd.

CSC_6417_zps9fe68815.jpg

CSC_6412_zpsc038795d.jpg

Last edited:
It's taken a long time for motion picture theatres to die out - since the introduction of TV in the 1950s.

Are we seeing the 'final days?'

There are now only three film-houses in all of Scarborough.

Hi everyone.

I'm no longer underwater and am back on an occasional basis.

The posts over my past month's absence really bring into contrast how things have improved here haven't they? :)

Thank you for everyone's kind comments.

Back on July 13 I was minding my own business when I saw that the Westwood Theatre was finally coming down.

http://www.buildtoronto.ca/sites/default/files/MEDIA RELEASE WestwoodDemolition June 17 2013.pdf

So I took some pictures; enjoy.

Welcome back

Where the heck's the then?:rolleyes:
s0065_fl0150_it0007.jpg

s0065_fl0150_it0039.jpg

Discernable here to the right of the iconic WESTWOOD sign is a scripted "Theatre" sign (I think that vanished about 1970)

I was a delivery boy for Brisbois Pharmacy back in the early 90s. Never knew the Pharmacy went so far back. My grandparents also lived on Bedford Park Avenue.

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0239_id0012.jpg

Here I am replying to a two year old post...

'The Little Pie Shoppe' in this picture: A few days ago I met Mrs. Keurble, who with her husband owned this place in the 50s thru 1990 or so. She just had her 90th and is well.

Is everyone enjoying the cooler weather this week? Here is an old (1998) article about the days (1927) when there was no air conditioning; written by someone who was there.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1998/06/22/1998_06_22_144_TNY_LIBRY_000015831?mobify=0

DSCF0480.jpg

Hi,
Dropped in and registered because I am interested particularly in genealogy and also in urban photography. I was looking for pictures of old King Street West (113-115 to be precise) via Google and stumbled upon this forum and thread...delightful!

The reason I am replying to THIS particular post is because I jumped to the beginning of the thread and noticed these pictures. The two children (heads) in the store window are known as Max and Moritz, two extremely naughty comic book characters from one of the first comic books ever created (Max Und Moritz, 1865, by Wilhelm Busch). These characters also were the inspiration for the American comic strip (and movies), The Katzenjammer Kids.

Just a bit of trivia, but I thought you might be interested. Love the forum and threads so far. I don't live in Toronto (I did from 1984-1997, now live in Kitchener-Waterloo) but do visit there from time-to-time and, as I said, I am doing genealogical research, some of which pertains to Toronto from 1851 to 1880 or thereabouts.

Thanks for the photos and I hope to participate in a meaningful way going forward.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back