News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Awesome thankyou, I was hoping to see a street level view, but this is the only picture I have ever seen
Thankyou so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two views from the 1950's:

POSTCARD - TORONTO -  BAY STREET - LOOKING NORTH - AERIAL - RED ROCKET - NICE- 1950s.jpg

postcard-toronto-bay-street-aerial-from-king-streetcars-crowds-store-signs-early-1950s.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO -  BAY STREET - LOOKING NORTH - AERIAL - RED ROCKET - NICE- 1950s.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - BAY STREET - LOOKING NORTH - AERIAL - RED ROCKET - NICE- 1950s.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 991
  • postcard-toronto-bay-street-aerial-from-king-streetcars-crowds-store-signs-early-1950s.jpg
    postcard-toronto-bay-street-aerial-from-king-streetcars-crowds-store-signs-early-1950s.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 949
Nice, I've seen the bigger one before, thanks again, funny I'm not sure street level closeups of the east side
exist. I've been looking for 2 years

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a total mistake. I was driving my daughter to the bus terminal and pulled over at Yonge & Edward to take one photo at Yonge & Dundas looking south. When I got home I realized I shot this in monochrome. Turns out I liked it , kind of like a reverse Then & Now.

I took this photo from the patio of Milestones at Yonge & Dundas. The reason was I was trying to put together a Then & Now of the same view I have seen from a 1950's or so Toronto Archives photo. I can't seem to track down the original photo , any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone else think Dundas Square would look better without the canopies? Are they really necessary? I especially dislike how there are two separate portions; the smaller one seems especially useless.

Danforth at Don Mills Rd. (now Broadview), N/W corner 1913

s0372_ss0010_it0168_zps6cc04a4c.jpg

Danforth at Don Mills Rd., N/W corner 1915

DanforthDonMills1915_zpsafcc6b63.jpg

Gas station N/W corner, 1919

BroadviewDanforthNWc1919gasstation_zpsd01e302e.jpg

Same N/W corner, original 1/2 building, c.1960

Broadviewdanforthunknownsmall_zps281b55fc.jpg

Danforth at Broadview 2014

DanforthatBroadviewlokingNW_zpsc58b5d0c.jpg

Last edited:
Playter's Society Hall 1911, S/E corner Danforth at Don Mills Rd. (now Broadview)

PlaytersSocietyHall1911_zpsf06cb324.jpg

Playter's Society Hall 1912

PlaytersSocietyHall1912_zpse49ca22d.jpg

Danforth at Broadview 2014

BroadviewatDanforthSWcorner_zps7619fa4f.jpg

The addition on top of Playters Society Hall is weird and remarkably ugly - I seem to remember adverts on top of the metal (?) poles but ... (BTW Who or what was/were/are the Playters Society and why did they have a Hall"?) Edit: A Google search reveals that a "Loyal Orange Lodge" met in the Hall in the 1920s - is there still an actual "hall" inside the building?

Last edited:
More like they started an addition and never finished--but made ad hoc use of the half-finished extra penthouse level, anyway.

And judging from the gross state of the rear service courtyard when I ventured in a year or so ago, I really *don't* know how the landlordship is going there currently.

Allen's Danforth Theatre, built 1919

AllensDanforth1919_zps348749c4.jpg

Danforth Music Hall, 2014 - formerly Allen's and later known as the Century Cinema

DanforthMusicHall2014_zpsc1832d88.jpg

The addition on top of Playters Society Hall is weird and remarkably ugly - I seem to remember adverts on top of the metal (?) poles but ... (BTW Who or what was/were/are the Playters Society and why did they have a Hall"?) Edit: A Google search reveals that a "Loyal Orange Lodge" met in the Hall in the 1920s - is there still an actual "hall" inside the building?

Some info on the Playter family at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playter_Estates

Back