News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

3325 Danforth Ave. 1936-2013

TN3325DanforthAve1936-2013_zpsf313aea1.jpg

Correct you are Torontopoika. I wasn't sure about using a Shorpy photo for that then and now. Would anybody know their copyright regulations ?

Lineup for streetcars - Danforth Ave. east of Broadview - 1920

TNDanforthatBroadview1920lineupforstreetcar_zps5ec71e37.jpg

TNDanforthlookingWtowardsBroadview1920_zpsfb222206.jpg

Nice photos of that area Goldie , I have never seen those views of Broadview & Danforth. Are they from the Toronto Archives ? My wife's grandfather owned a restaurant called Andrews Fish'n'Chips around there in the 1930's but I have never been able to figure out where exactly.

Nice photos of that area Goldie , I have never seen those views of Broadview & Danforth. Are they from the Toronto Archives ? My wife's grandfather owned a restaurant called Andrews Fish'n'Chips around there in the 1930's but I have never been able to figure out where exactly.

I believe those Danforth/Broadview photos were located at Library and Archives Canada's web site.

I remember a "Fish'nChips" place on the north side of Danforth, one or two blocks east of Broadview.
When I was taken there in the 1940s, I always got chips in a cone fashioned from newspaper.

"I remember a "Fish'nChips" place on the north side of Danforth, one or two blocks east of Broadview."
Prof Goldie.

That would probably be Model Fish & Chips. - At the least 1933 through to 1942. (and beyond?)
414 Danforth Ave. (Just west of Arundel.)
Albert Leggett - 1933.
John Dennis - 1942.

Regards,
J T

Thanks for that address J T.

Here's a recent view of 414 Danforth (Andrews/Model Fish'n'Chips?).

414danforth_zps96c8721a.jpg

Greetings!

I have another question for the sleuthier UT'ers amongst you, seeing as you were lightning fast the last time. I have been trying to find an image of the south side of Queen between Spadina and Cameron, but to no avail. In fact, the closest view I have from the Toronto archives is this west facing view through the intersection of Queen/Spadina.

s0071_it9966.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had ever stumbled across an image of the south side, just west of that intersection. There's also an east-facing view from someone that stood on the north sidewalk. If that photographer would have turned 90 degrees clockwise, it would have been EXACTLY the view I'm looking for.

Yes, I know this is a 7 year old post. :)

Just wanted to see if anyone's stumbled across any photos from this area since then (south looking view from Cameron/Queen). Cheers.

I went to the Yonge Eglinton area between Christmas and New Years to help out my parents with a few things. They bought a house in this area 60 years ago this year. They're still independent too; which is kind of neat.

So then, please accompany me on a little North Toronto historical walk. I'm on cold meds and can hardly type, so I'll keep it kind of breezy, ok? :) Feel free to Google any of my talking points; lot's of info out there on everything.

Below - Then. 1903. Toronto Archive pic: 'St. Clements Ave. looking w from Yonge St. to St. Clements Church. 1903. Shows l to r, Church, Canon Henry B. Osler's house, and Woodley's house; later the rectory.'

Of interest here - the radial railway tracks - were covered eventually at some point - when people decided they didn't want a dirt Yonge St anymore - and uncovered again around 1968 when they did a major re-pave of Yonge. They removed the rails at that point. I know; I was there, and remember being precociously fascinated...

StClementsAvelookingwfromYongeSttoStClementsChurch1903ShowsltorChurchCanonHenryBOslershouseWoodleyshouselaterrectory_zps76430b43.jpg

Below - Now. December 2015.

On the left of the pic we can see a bit of the former Consumers Gas Showroom. It was/is quite the looker and was renovated a couple years ago; it's now a furniture store. In the centre of the pic we now have a paved, not a grass landing strip of a St. Clements Ave. On the right is the former Eglinton Presbyterian Church [1909]. It was later - dunno how later - the St. Clements branch of the TPL until about 1974 when the Northern District branch on Orchard View opened. It's a day care centre now.

PC271365_zpsf662c9a7.jpg

Below: So, let's go for a walk west along St Clements Ave shall we?

Here on the SE corner of St. Clements and Duplex we see that Canon Osler's house is still in good original shape. In fact, it's tough to find a run down house in this area. Quite the opposite actually.

As for 'Woodley's' house: Looking at the 1903 pic again I'm guessing it was on the SW corner of present day Duplex and Briar Hill Aves. There isn't anything there now, only the park/grounds of the church. I'm just guessing that it came down when the church addition of 1929 went up.

PC271366_zpsa6efce20.jpg

Below: Here we are looking NW towards the modern St. Clements church from the intersection of St. Clements and Duplex Aves. You can see the old church back there surrounded by the 1929 addition.

PC301368_zpsda8787d6.jpg

Below: Here we are looking NW from Roselawn and Duplex Aves. That building is actually a bit of local industrial history. That building bore a sign up until recently that read: 'North Toronto Upholstery Company'. You can see the spot on the wall where it was removed. To the right is a small building that has a steel pipe chimney. That my friends [that's my Doug Ford impression :( ] local lore supposedly has it - has within a stove that was originally from 'Castlefield'; a local manor house of sorts from which present day Castlefield Ave is named.

This is an interesting lot - it's deeper than anything else on the block. I imagine developers have made an offer already. You could fit 4 town homes - sorry - luxury town homes onto it.

PC301373_zps88a58d5b.jpg

Below: Here we are in the middle of a 'Green P' parking lot at Castlefield and Duplex looking NE. Behind the row of trees we see what was the Orange Hall; it's one of the outbuildings of St. Clements Girls School now. It fronted onto Yonge street back in it's day; that's the way the entrance is oriented.

PC301372_zps62045b07.jpg

Below two pictures: Hey, what's this? A house for sale. No ordinary house. No less than the Snider House [1828]. 744 Duplex Ave. No less than the original farm property that was sold and divided into the original lots that make up a good part of this neighbourhood today. It's a private home of course. Were it mine I would invite my fellow UT-ers to party here. I would pay for the beer by renting it out for tv productions; i.e., Murdoch Mysteries. There is also no swimming pool but that can be rectified. I'm imagining a modern glass pool pavilion attached to the side of the house. Sure to impress the kind of people that I hang out with - 'Mustapha has done awright don'cha know'. Cue female shrieks and a cannonball whump. :)

That driveway is sublime. All in all, a classy bit of 'Olde' Upper Canada in the middle of North Toronto.

PC301371_zps10938c10.jpg

PC301370_zpsd952d01d.jpg

A nice TPL pic:

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMDC-PICTURES-R-4892&R=DC-PICTURES-R-4892

Our walk is over. Thanks for coming along. Time for coffee at the Yonge and Albertus Second Cup.

A Happy New Year to all.

Last edited:
"Time for coffee at the Yonge and Albertus Second Cup."
Mustapha.

I presume that the coffee is better at Second Cup, but do bear in mind that the company at The St Lawrence Sunday Market far exceeds

anything/one you could hope to ever meet at The Cup as far as Old Toronto goods and information is concerned.

Will we expect your presence two Sundays hence?

Good health for the New year, is all that really matters.

Regards,
J T

"Time for coffee at the Yonge and Albertus Second Cup."
Mustapha.

I presume that the coffee is better at Second Cup, but do bear in mind that the company at The St Lawrence Sunday Market far exceeds

anything/one you could hope to ever meet at The Cup as far as Old Toronto goods and information is concerned.

Will we expect your presence two Sundays hence?

Good health for the New year, is all that really matters.

Regards,
J T[/QUOTE

...the company far exceeds...". Yes, yes indeed it does JT. I will try to be there on the 18th.

Back