News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Great stuff!

Great presentation, glad to see that 'visual history' is a 'family business" :)

I liked it too. You know what they say: 'Power corrupts and Powerpoint corrupts absolutely'.

It was interesting to discover the source of these unusual pieces at the Guild.
See attached photo:

Another one! George, you are now on the hook to document every single piece out at the Guild. :)

I was bored at work

Alden, it happens to the best of us.

Last edited:
re: Orange Hall

Mustapha,

The Orange Hall was called Victoria Hall, at 53-59 Queen Street East.

http://roughian.tripod.com/index-19.html [excerpt:]

"Toronto had 1,828 Orangemen in 1874 and they started planning for a County Orange Hall. It was completed in 1886 and named 'Victoria Hall' on Queen Street East."

Attached image is from the 1890 Goad's

Attachments

• 1890q.jpg
    1890q.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 337
Mustapha,

The Orange Hall was called Victoria Hall, at 53-59 Queen Street East.

http://roughian.tripod.com/index-19.html [excerpt:]

"Toronto had 1,828 Orangemen in 1874 and they started planning for a County Orange Hall. It was completed in 1886 and named 'Victoria Hall' on Queen Street East."

Attached image is from the 1890 Goad's

Ah, I see, thanks. There is a rather nondescript 50s era small office building there now...

Agreed. I'd quite almost forgotten about it.

thecharioteer: in one of your pictures above you mention "view from the roof of the Orange Hall on Queen street". Where was this Hall?

The Orange Hall was another building designed by EJ Lennox on Queen at Berti, halfway between Church and Victoria. An elegant building, it was demolished in the 1970's. Here's a pic probably late 60's, it's the building behind the Public Optical sign, looking extremely rundown:

ttc013.jpg

Mods, hope this ok. This is a link to an interesting powerpoint presentation about Toronto's Chinese and Chinatown history. Lots of then and now pictures... the creator works at City Hall and is my kid brother.

http://www.ccnctoronto.ca/history/Toronto_Chinese_Presentation_Harvey_Low.pdf

This is great stuff!! It kept me busy all day at work; so Thanks!! :)

I'm assuming you took the Now of the Now & Then photos as per usual? Great job... congrats to your lil bro!

The Orange Hall was another building designed by EJ Lennox on Queen at Berti, halfway between Church and Victoria. An elegant building, it was demolished in the 1970's. Here's a pic probably late 60's, it's the building behind the Public Optical sign, looking extremely rundown:

ttc013.jpg

Thank you; in colour too.

By the way, one of those old PCC cars is in service on the Spadina line on Sundays in regular service.
http://www3.ttc.ca/News/2009/May/Historic_TTC_PCC_Streetcar_back_on_track.jsp

This is great stuff!! It kept me busy all day at work; so Thanks!! :)

I'm assuming you took the Now of the Now & Then photos as per usual? Great job... congrats to your lil bro!

No, my lil bro took the pics. He's funny like that.:)

He's a Ryerson urban planning grad so powerpoint and piecharts comes naturally.

Ryerson is a great school. lil bro was taken on by the City as soon as he graduated. My daughter graduated from there too and was whisked away to the Excited States within weeks.

Here's an amazing pic I just found on www.trainweb.org. Sorry, it's just the "before" without an "after". Note the absence of the Gardiner Expressway as well as the presence of Loretto Abbey west of Spadina at Front. I would guess the date at 1951, the year the Bank of Nova Scotia Building was completed as it looks gleaming white in this photo.

aerial_Toronto.jpg

Last edited:
August 8 addition.

Front looking W from just E of Church.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0094.jpg

DSCF0933.jpg

Wow!!! I had no idea that the European Bound store section was a remake - and such a good one too. Does anyone know when it was carried out? Thanks for posting Mustapha.

at the Guild

Here's another Guild Inn connection
See attached photos:

Attachments

• Registry Guild.jpg
    Registry Guild.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 354
  • city hall constr registrar bldg 1964.jpg
    city hall constr registrar bldg 1964.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 366
Wow!!! I had no idea that the European Bound store section was a remake - and such a good one too. Does anyone know when it was carried out? Thanks for posting Mustapha.

Perhaps it was an 'unmake' - the old building facade was there all along - and was simply uncovered.

August 9 addition.

Lichee Gardens.

Elizabeth Street, W side, just S of Dundas.

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0218-1.jpg

DSCF1037.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

DSCF1042.jpg

DSCF1043.jpg

DSCF1014.jpg

DSCF1015.jpg

DSCF1016.jpg

DSCF1017.jpg

DSCF1018.jpg

DSCF1019.jpg

Thanks for a fascinating glimpse into our culinary past. Looks to be early Sixties, no? That menu still stands up today, and I was glad to see a healthy selection of chop suey.

Also wouldn't mind quaffing a bit of that Parkdale champagne.

Back