News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Streetcars return to Lake Shore Blvd. in Etobicoke.

tyrr-mimico-excursion-sacred-heart-orphanage-1900.jpg

Oops. A little too far back in time. From link. This one is "A Toronto & York Radial Railway open car operates on an excursion on the MIMICO line past the Sacred Heart Orphanage on Lake Shore Road between Parkside Drive and Sunnyside Avenue in this 1900 shot courtesy the Toronto Archives."

Someone post a more current photo, please?

King Edward VII statue moved to Queens Park 1969-from India
King Edward VII statue moved to Queens Park 1969-from India .jpg

horse-play Queen's Park 2012.jpg

Attachments

• King Edward VII statue moved to Queens Park 1969-from India .jpg
    King Edward VII statue moved to Queens Park 1969-from India .jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 623
  • horse-play Queen's Park 2012.jpg
    horse-play Queen's Park 2012.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 712
An ELECTRIC streetcar in 1900? Is that possible?

The first electric streetcar in Toronto ran in 1892, fully electrifying in 1894. Though the St. Catharines, Merritton & Thorold Street Railway (a predecessor to the NS&T) was even earlier than that, starting electric operation in 1887.

Oops! I neglected to add the date of "earliest photo"...1840...it's now been edited.

If that is to be believed, the rate of erosion is quite high. We should have a close look because the falls are visibly different in our lifetimes.
Though notice the difference btw/ 1764 and 1886, versus 1886 and 2011. Same approx. period of time; yet the erosion's slower--that's where control dams and likeminded measures play a part...

At the rate shown by W.K. Lis's diagram, the famous runaway sand scow (barge) that got lodged above the Falls in 1918 will soon take a magnificent plunge.

Niagara scow from 1918.jpg

Attachments

• Niagara scow from 1918.jpg
    Niagara scow from 1918.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 773
If that is to be believed, the rate of erosion is quite high. We should have a close look because the falls are visibly different in our lifetimes.

Actually there is less erosion in the past few decades because the river water gets diverted for hydro electricity generation. At night, the water flowing over the falls is less intense.

Actually there is less erosion in the past few decades because the river water gets diverted for hydro electricity generation. At night, the water flowing over the falls is less intense.
I am totally familiar with the pumping generating station and Sir Adam Beck. I had overlooked that in my thoughts.

Back