News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What’s amazing is the engineering that allows tall buildings to be “anchored” on land that used to be water. Yes, I know they go down to bedrock, but still, can you imagine what the Indigenous would think, or the first colonial settlers if they were to have known what would happen on their waterfront?
I moved to TO in 2001 and I am amazed at how the waterfront has changed in the last 20 years. There may not have been much (any?) additional land reclamation but ....

I most recent and large landfill may be the Leslie Street spit, now "TOMMY THOMPSON PARK".

Reactions: DSC
The Ford Motor Company built a Canadian assembly plant (c.1923) on Danforth Ave. at Victoria Park when the area was still rural and undeveloped. Ford products were built there until 1953 when Ford moved to new facilities in Oakville.
Ford Plant, Danforth at Victoria Park 1923  CTA.jpg

The buildings were redeveloped in 1962 into a mall, "Shoppers World" that continues to this day.
The roof-lines of the original structure are visible above modern additions.
Ford:Shoppers W.jpg

The Ford Motor Company built a Canadian assembly plant (c.1923) on Danforth Ave. at Victoria Park when the area was still rural and undeveloped. Ford products were built there until 1953 when Ford moved to new facilities in Oakville.
View attachment 248331

The buildings were redeveloped in 1962 into a mall, "Shoppers World" that continues to this day.
The roof-lines of the original structure are visible above modern additions.
View attachment 248332
Don't forget that Nash which merged with Hudson and later became AMC briefly made cars such as the Nash Rambler there after Ford left. Then came the shopping center.

Don't forget that Nash which merged with Hudson and later became AMC briefly made cars such as the Nash Rambler there after Ford left. Then came the shopping center.

The number of active automobile manufacturers dropped from 253 in 1908 to only 44 in 1929, with about 80 percent of the industry’s output accounted for by Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler, formed from Maxwell in 1925 by Walter P. Chrysler.

From link.

The time of the electrics:
It's been reported that, by 1900, one-third of all automobiles on the road were electric. In the early years. a total of 33,842 electric cars were registered in the United States.
TESLA, where are you?

If this were part of a common photo series, would the Union Jacks by the Chatsworth corner store entrance have been likewise motivated?

Very observant of you, adma.
Yes, that flag display was most likely for the same reason.

The gas station at Chatsworth closed about 2 years ago. A long run.

The Chatsworth Manor has a well maintained original courtyard.

Yonge and Chatsworth...went there on lunch hours from Highschool to get cigarettes in the late 60’s, and a bottle of coke.
Yes, it was a drugstore then.

During prohibition in Ontario, anyone could acquire alcohol from doctors' offices and drugstores (by prescription please). Not just cigarettes or sugar-filled coke.

Back