News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That's a pretty sad row of town houses (yes, I realise it's the rear) and makes one wonder why they bothered to demolish the plaza. Ugh!

TN CNE Peace Memorial 1930.jpg

Attachments

• TN CNE Peace Memorial 1930.jpg
    TN CNE Peace Memorial 1930.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 1,701
During alterations c.1960

CNE Peace Memorial during alterations C.1960.jpg

Attachments

• CNE Peace Memorial during alterations C.1960.jpg
    CNE Peace Memorial during alterations C.1960.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,710
All, we just got back from researching the history of our home at the Archives yesterday. I am wondering if anyone would have old photos of our home (built around 1884). We are located on Richmond Street West (formerly Farley Avenue pre-1910), between Bathurst and Tecumseth. Any photos or advice on how to search for some would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Google Street View shows some very interesting homes in that area -- which one is yours?

See: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...2!3m1!1s0x882b34db9fecdaa3:0x9bec1d1937335e2d

The one on the right side of the laneway (right behind the parked dark hatchback). The "closest" photo I was able to find is 214 Farley Avenue (which would've been right across the street): http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/toronto-barnardo-homes.html. This would've been pre-1910 when Farley was renamed Richmond St W.

I love the caption to the 1910 photo. "214 Farley Ave, Toronto Boy's Home, Receiving and Distributing 1887 to 1908. A. B. Owen Manager" Barnardo's Boys as 'merchandise"!

Is this location recognizable today?

Caption: Weston car, Toronto Junction. May 4, 1906, photo by Joseph Burr Tyrrell

Heintzman Pianos building can be seen in background.

We need an identical viewpoint to complete a "Then & Now" set.

View attachment 59472

My guess is that it's Keele looking north from Dundas to the rail underpass but none of the current buildings seem to match. The Heintzman factory would have been just east of Keele, between Keele and what is now ... Heintzman St.

Thanks, the lemur. Good sleuthing!
I took a look at Google Street View and your description seems logical
Now we need a photo to match the 1906 view.

Back