39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

954 King Street W, 1980s vs now.

2011823-king-west-80s-s1465_fl0058_id0071.jpg

BlogTo Image
01_954KingStreetWest_King_West_Village_Lofts_Exterior-2000.jpg

Truelofts Image

Palais Royale Ballroom, Lake Shore Boulevard W., south side, east of Marine Drive. 1955 TPL
Palais Royale Ballroom, Lake Shore Boulevard W., south side, east of Marine Drive. 1955  TPL.jpg

Lake Shore Blvd.jpg

Yes, this was a time when the City thought ahead (and , to be fair, it was a new street). Think of Bloor Viaduct built to accommodate a subway, many years later. Now we are the opposite, building (or not!) long after the need is there - think QQ east streetcar!

Yes, they used to spend a nickel now to save a quarter later. Now.....the councils of the 80's and 90's should be ashamed of themselves for not building transit, but hey, no property tax increases!

Hi UT-ers. Fire [and Police] Call Box. I saw this in New York. a year ago. Such a neat antique thing, still in use. I can't remember Toronto having them but we must have. Call boxes were used when folks didn't have even a landline in every house.

DSC02612 - Copy.JPG

Hi UT-ers. Fire [and Police] Call Box. I saw this in New York. a year ago. Such a neat antique thing, still in use. I can't remember Toronto having them but we must have. Call boxes were used when folks didn't have even a landline in every house.

View attachment 229234

I am surprised these are still in use. I can see them being abused by idiots in Toronto.

Those were police communications to and from the beat officer and station. Note that they are keyed. There was a light on top of the box visible in this photo to indicate a 'call waiting'. I don't know for sure if Toronto had public call boxes or if there was a public box side on the back of this type.

1580873087962.png

Back