News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So......at first I was going to correct you.........LOL......

Because I read the description in the archive photo which says 'Looking West' to Sherbourne........

Your pic is looking east.

However, I have to say, it looks to me like you got it right, and the archives has it wrong. (raises eyebrow).

Attachments

• 1644970470816.png
    1644970470816.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
I first came upon this unique, old structure 9 years ago while exploring Dawes Rd. S. of Danforth Ave.
It's at #10 Dawes Rd. just N. of the main railway line, near Main St.
Apparently, built in the late 1890s as a grain elevator and grist mill, it was originally called Chalmer's Flour Mill.
Later to become the Elizabeth Feed Co., providing bird, horse & dog feed.

I was certainly surprised upon discovering this proposal for 40 storey condo towers on the site.
The historic, old mill may be preserved as a daycare centre. Construction is yet to begin!

former feed mill-10 Dawes Rd.jpg

10 Dawes 2 - web size.jpg

Marlin Spring Development - 2022.jpg

Dawes Rd. Mill heritage preservation.jpg

I first came upon this unique, old structure 9 years ago while exploring Dawes Rd. S. of Danforth Ave.
It's at #10 Dawes Rd. just N. of the main railway line, near Main St.
Apparently, built in the late 1890s as a grain elevator and grist mill, it was originally called Chalmer's Flour Mill.
Later to become the Elizabeth Feed Co., providing bird, horse & dog feed.

I was certainly surprised upon discovering this proposal for 40 storey condo towers on the site.
The historic, old mill may be preserved as a daycare centre. Construction is yet to begin!

View attachment 381709

View attachment 381710

View attachment 381712

View attachment 381713

You must not venture into the Buildings section of the forum very often...

This one courtesy of the FB group Friends who like Vintage Toronto; and poster Steve Vogtle:

1647228363945.png

In the comments for this, something worth sharing:

1647228401893.png

Quick PS here, doesn't this seem more like Parliament/Lakeshore?

Anyways, now photo, based on Sherbourne:

1647228526386.png

Curiously, this is Parliament/Lakeshore and I can't make out any of the Distillery District here either.

1647228634504.png

Edit to add: I'm quite sure this is that building from the Distillery District we can see in the original photo:

1647228721414.png

I don't see how you make that out from Lakeshore/Sherbourne.

This one courtesy of the FB group Friends who like Vintage Toronto; and poster Steve Vogtle:

View attachment 385266

In the comments for this, something worth sharing:

View attachment 385267

Quick PS here, doesn't this seem more like Parliament/Lakeshore?

Anyways, now photo, based on Sherbourne:

View attachment 385275

Curiously, this is Parliament/Lakeshore and I can't make out any of the Distillery District here either.

View attachment 385276

Edit to add: I'm quite sure this is that building from the Distillery District we can see in the original photo:

View attachment 385277

I don't see how you make that out from Lakeshore/Sherbourne.
This definitely does feel much more like Parliament and Lakeshore. If you take a screenshot before the bend, you can make out the brick building that exists at the distillery right above the "Lake Shore Blvd East" sign in the middle of the photo. Also note the railroad truss structure above the railroad tracks (Pardon me, I am unaware of what the correct term for it is) that is situated east of the tunnel compared to the one at Sherbourne and Lakeshore that is situated to the east.
Screenshot (1907).png

Yeah, keep in mind, too, that the "then" photo is taken *south* of the Lakeshore--and is not on axis, but on a diagonal, corresponding w/the E end of Queen's Quay where it merges into Parliament. (That is, the lighthouse was situated at the NW end of the Victory Soya Mills property.)

Here is some info on the Windmill Line(s). They are still used in property descriptions at the Land Registry Office.

Last edited:
It would be great if the Distillery were to build another replica of that windmill within their pedestrian area.

From the Facebook Group "Friends Who Like Vintage Toronto"

1647572715975.png

The view angle is not stated.......but if memory serves, this would be just east of Parliament at Queen's Quay, south side......

So I'm banking on this being vaguely similar in terms of a 'now' view:

1647572876887.png

Edit to add: I believe the heritage photo was a bit more north to south in its positioning, but I think this angle reflects what would have been in the photo to some degree.

As I recall, the track ran parallel to Parliament then Lakeshore.

Yeah, today's equivalent would be an "under-expressway" view to the SE (and the Victory admin building lasted until relative recent times, which is another "historical coordinate" to remember)

On second thought.....could this be the windmill in 1950? (unfortunately, not very high-res)

Windmill? 1950.jpg

Back