News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Agreed. I’m impressed that the row of four cottages pictured in this ad from 1878:

http://images92.torontopubliclibrary.ca/idc/groups/public/documents/pictures/pictures-r-1486.jpg

…are still standing, and in apparently good condition, on the south side of Shuter immediately east of Patterson (or Paterson) Place.

Indeed. I did a Google street view. They are well looked after; clad in some kind of siding.

I guess these were the ‘monster homes’ of their day

s0372_ss0033_it0811.jpg

s0372_ss0033_it0751.jpg

There's a row of a half dozen similar cottages, which look to be well maintained, on my old street - Cambridge Avenue, just east of the Don Valley.

I'll bet you have to pare your possessions to a minimum in order to live in those types of homes.

TIMFX, DSC and Anna. The Canary and surrounding area reminds me of the East London Docklands area a bit. Old buildings surrounded by odd open spaces - spaces as a result of bombing during WWII.

August 7 addition.

Then. Shaftesbury Place. April 5, 1940.

eofyongenofshaftesburyaveatsummerhi.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0405.jpg

August 8 addition.

A bit of fun because I felt lazy today. :) For you folks who don't live in Toronto, what I have done here is taken pictures of pictures. In many subway stations in the Toronto system, Then and Now pictures hang inside the stations depicting the location near the station. This actually falls into the category of giving a darn; my bravo to whoever it was at the TTC that took the time and trouble.

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

Been searching the archives for anything on these two buildings at Eastern and Cherry streets.
With all the construction and the closing of the Canary restaurant, Im suprised they still stand,

SEcorner.jpg

When I discovered the Canary Restaurant many years ago, I returned and shot a few details:

Canarymontage.jpg

When I discovered the Canary Restaurant many years ago, I returned and shot a few details:

Canarymontage.jpg

My brother and I did some construction work on the now little pink building back in the very early 80's. If I rember correctly we cut open a space to add a new door. We even got in trouble for dumping some material on the property next to it, not relizing that it did not belong the the building. Guy called the cops. We explained the error of our ways and took the carbage away, and all was well. :D

We also had lunch at the Restaurant. Seems like a liftime ago :p

I must have three dozen shots of the Canary Restaurant in colour and infrared... passed it every time I went to the Distillery District in the mid-2000s, but never once went in, sat down, and ate there. Boy, I sure wish I had now. It seems like a sin to have missed out on that.

I too sing this refrain to myself alot nowadays. :)

August 10 addition.

2125 Lakeshore Blvd W.

It's hard to believe that so many motels lined this strip of Lakeshore Blvd W greeting visitors as they motored into Toronto, creating a "Motel Strip".

Only Casa Mendoza is left.
http://www.casamendoza.com/

2125lakeshorew.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

No, there's also the Beach Motel, right on the Lakeshore at Park Lawn beside the Esso station

My brother in law has stayed there a couple of times. Rooms are small but very clean and inexpensive-=-$80.00 or so a night.

It's right on the Lakeshore/Queen streetcar line and right on the Martin Goodman trail.

I tried to post a Google Streetview but failed.

The Cruise Motel was at the eastern end of the motel strip. Long before the motel was sold to developers, this sign was sold and is now somewhere on the east coast.

cruise.jpg

2125 Lakeshore Blvd W was, during the late 1950's early 60's, (The Chancellor Motel) managed by Joe Landers who drove a

1956 Olsmobile Holliday 4 door hardtop with a Continental tire kit. The name was changed to The Consular, or something similar

during the 1970'/80's.

The Concler(sp?), I think. And the Cruise was originally the Palace...

LonePrimate: You missed out on the Canary, be sure to hit the Patrician Grill on King E. These old school restaurants are dropping off the map like flies, if you will excuse the tortured analogy.

JRichardson2150: thanks, I stand corrected. :) I always wanted to stay in a Lakeshore motel but living in Toronto made this an extremely difficult idea to present to the significant other.

androiduk: seriously cool photo of a Lost sign.

JT CUNNINGHAM: Is there anyone you didn't know from the business scene of 1950-70s Toronto? :)

Goldie: What's that small camera you are holding?

August 11 addition.

Then. August 22, 1949. Dalhousie looking N from Gould. Is this street pronounced "Daloosey" or "Dalhousy"?

s0372_ss0058_it1970.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0264.jpg

"JT CUNNINGHAM: Is there anyone you didn't know from the business scene of 1950-70s Toronto?" QUOTE. Mustapha.

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Back