News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

thecharioteer, As a child in the early 60s, I remember being driven by my gramps around the area north of what is now Square One Mall. The roads running east and west off Hurontario street were all farms.

There were some old Asian men there making soy sauce. The liquid was fermenting in tubs covered by glass. Flies everywhere. I suppose they strained the flies out. :)

goldie, the herbalist business Then and Now; wonderful! You must have been charming to get the pretty proprietress to pose for you.

Great historical story and an innovative change from the usual "bricks and mortar" Then and Now...

September 18 addition.

Then. Gerrard looking W from the east side of Seaton. March 27, 1956.

gerrardwfromseaton.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0005.jpg

Today. September 18 2010. In front of 160 Frederick street.

I wonder if this is real and whence it came.

DSCF3196.jpg

My personal story behind this photo goes back more than 50 years.
I have never forgotten the joy - as a child walking along the Danforth - that I always felt when coming upon this free weigh scale that has been in front of Thuna as long as I can remember.
I would step on the 'magic' instrument each time I passed by.
In 2007 I was amazed that the store AND SCALE still existed!
That's when I talked with Evelyn Dorfman and took her photo.
In 2010 I found the archival photo on the Internet and returned to ask for permission to post both on UT.
The sad ending to my story is that the scale is now out of service because of too much pounding by exuberant (or overweight) teenagers.

Thunaweighscales.jpg

Goldie,

We have seen quite a few of those scales in these threads. It's nice to see an actual survivor. I hope it's not too expensive for them to fix it.

September 20 addition.

Then. Looking W along Gerrard towards Jarvis. March 27, 1956.

gerrardwfromjusteofjarvis.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0004.jpg

Goldie,

We have seen quite a few of those scales in these threads. It's nice to see an actual survivor. I hope it's not too expensive for them to fix it.

September 20 addition.

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0004.jpg

Tearing down a house for Harveys....? Wait what!?

Blovertis, TKWizard,

That Harveys... there is a MACs milk store operating out of a restored mansion just north of this intersection; a shame Harveys couldn't have done this, assuming it was Harveys that replaced the old mansion ...

September 21 addition.

Then. March 26 , 1956 "Gerrard looking W from opposite #94 "

gerrardwestfrom94.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0003.jpg

September 22 addition.

The old Runnymede Theatre. 2225 Bloor street west at Runnymede.

DSCF3248.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runnymede_Theatre

Very well done writeup here.: http://silenttoronto.com/?p=9#comments

Now a book store. Unlike some of the other theatres in Toronto that closed down to become "event locations" or the like (such as the Capital and the Eglinton) this is a location you can freely visit. It's a beautiful place, so you should, freely visit. Don't forget to buy some printed media (Ie., a magazine or book), because everything on the interwebz is a rehash, right? :)

The kind manager there today let me pull out my "point and shoot" camera to take some hasty pictures for you.

I have matched up today's pictures with "Then" pictures taken by me at the Rainbow Cinema on Front street. These Then pictures are mounted on the walls there, framed and under glass, so the quality is a bit dodgy. My heartfelt thanks to the owners of Rainbow Cinemas for their sense of local movie house history.

DSCF3204.jpg

DSCF3242.jpg

Note the "dome".

DSCF3206.jpg

I couldn't get a sharp Now picture with the "same amount of dome" - you will have to settle for the domes lower edge. I took several snaps, only this one turned out alright. Trust me - the dome - it's there.

DSCF3245.jpg

Here you go, I'll make it up to you.

DSCF3244.jpg

DSCF3205.jpg

DSCF3247.jpg

Goldie,

September 20 addition.

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0004.jpg

Time was not kind to the west side of Jarvis between Gerrard and Carlton: the brutalist Primrose, the bad renovation of what is now the Ramada, multiple demolitions and of course, the Harvey's.

Some pics, the first two from the TPL looking east on Gerrard in 1907, the next of 292 Jarvis (replaced by the condo attached to the Ramada), the last just south of Carlton, a pic I took in the mid-70's of one of the soon-to-be-demolished remaining semis (the site is still vacant):

T_31539.jpg

pictures-r-521.jpg

jarvisgerrard.jpg

2007-09-02-1158-42-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
When did that area of town become the red light district of Toronto? In the 1930s, it looked like such a respectable neighborhood

When did that area of town become the red light district of Toronto? In the 1930s, it looked like such a respectable neighborhood

The short answer is sometime after WWI at a time when the older establishment families started leaving the area for the greener pastures of Rosedale, Moore Park and Forest Hill (the houses were too big, a number of the private schools and clubs had already moved north). The decline seemed to start at the south end with the conversion of a number of the older apartment buildings into rather unsavoury hotels, and the larger homes into rooming houses (or institutions). Cutting down the trees in the late 40's, widening the street and joining it to Mt.Pleasant didn't help the residential ambience. With the 50's came mass demolitions and hi-rises. When the first Four Seasons got built north of Carlton (opposite the CBC), it was seen as a quite revolutionary.

September 23 addition.

Then. "Gerrard street looking W from opp. #70." March 27, 1956.

gerrardwfrom70.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0002.jpg

Back