News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

November 16 addition.

Then. Church and Yonge, looking SE. Nov. 1959

Note the "Austin" sign. I guess British cars were a big deal in 1950s Toronto.

s0372_ss0100_it0443.jpg

Now. October 2010.

CSC_0053.jpg

Old car I saw last week parked on a lot on Queen street east.

DSC_0073.jpg

Rear of same. Note dealership where it was sold - on Bay street - just a couple of blocks from our "Austin" dealership.

DSC_0072.jpg

CSC_0074.jpg

Take note that the Austin sign stood atop the concrete structure now slowly being demolished for Milan--its upper floors were lopped off c1980s; the rest remained as a de facto Crappy Tire garage annex. (Oh, and didn't that gas-station butterfly canopy also remain until relatively recent times?)

Similar scenes in my neighbourhood. On Sellers Ave., there are two fire hydrants about 12' apart. One being Toronto and the other York.

Big changes in Markham

Just across the street from Toronto:

Attachments

• TN Milliken School.jpg
    TN Milliken School.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 638
British cars were great until you tried to get to the cottage in one--or even tried to get the family groceries back from the supermarket!

We had a Ford Zephyr. It left us stranded early and often; once just outside Algonquin Park at night.

Take note that the Austin sign stood atop the concrete structure now slowly being demolished for Milan--its upper floors were lopped off c1980s; the rest remained as a de facto Crappy Tire garage annex. (Oh, and didn't that gas-station butterfly canopy also remain until relatively recent times?)

Yes, I was surprised that it seemed to disappear overnight. I don't believe a hue and cry was raised at all.

Just across the street from Toronto:

Milliken... about 25 years ago the name was still in somewhat vernacular usage, like Willowdale or Lansing.

November 17 addition.

I should have added this last night...

s0372_ss0100_it0442.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Back to our regular program below:

Then May 31 1927. Queen's Quay loop at York. I think I've got this one right...

s0071_it4929.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_2256.jpg

The Harbour Commissioners Building should be behind the photographer and to the left in the old pic. It brings back memories of cold days in early May with the wind blowing off the lake waiting for the Bay Street car to make the circle and come back to pick us up from in front of the docks. Funny, though, I can't remember watching the streetcar going round the loop.

The Harbour Commissioners Building should be behind the photographer and to the left in the old pic. It brings back memories of cold days in early May with the wind blowing off the lake waiting for the Bay Street car to make the circle and come back to pick us up from in front of the docks. Funny, though, I can't remember watching the streetcar going round the loop.

November 18 addition.

Then. Harbour Commissioners Building. May 14, 1921. Wonderful old seaplane and yacht. View is looking to the NE.

2224_423_figure___4_23_1_600_600_both_.jpg

Now. August 2010. I'm not sure what's inside the building now. I'll let you look it up. :) View is looking to the NW - I thought it was more interesting this way. Landfill has pushed the shoreline about 1/4 km to the south. Goldie mentioned to me that there are Toronto archive pictures showing horse drawn wagons dumping trash - "landfill" - into Toronto bay.

DSC_2266.jpg

I am still thinking about adma's comment about the "butterfly canopy" gas station. I haven't the vocabulary to wax eloquent like others here but to me that bit of Mid-Century Modern reminded me of Las Vegas.

Landfill

November 18 addition.

Goldie mentioned to me that there are Toronto archive pictures showing horse drawn wagons dumping trash - "landfill" - into Toronto bay.

A wonderful Toronto landmark!

Attachments

• land fill in front of Harbour Bldg waterfront 1922 John Boyd.jpg
    land fill in front of Harbour Bldg waterfront 1922 John Boyd.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 407
  • TN Harbour Commission Bldg. 1918.jpg
    TN Harbour Commission Bldg. 1918.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
in the Canadian Tire 'then' gas bar pic-anyone catch the price of anti-freeze on the sign? $2.89? -somewhat pricey for 1959?

Back