News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In the "wilds" of Scarborough:

TNKennedy-Lawrence-after1900.jpg

From the early 1930's to the 1950's my father's parents had a farm just a tad east of here on the north side of Lawrence, between Birchmount & Kennedy. I'd never been able to put an image into my mind as to what this area would have looked like way back then. My parents met in high school at Winston Churchill C.I., again just east of here but on the south side of Lawrence.

Birchmount is West of this intersection, but I know what you mean. My parents met at WCCI, too, and I attended General Crerar P.S. behind it. Spent a lot of time at that plaza in the 70s, shopping at Steinberg's, pizza at Pizza Nova (store #1).

IBM - I wonder how the interior details of that complex - especially in the executive offices area, have held up. I'm guessing that top tier companies like IBM at that time as a matter of routine had some nice mid-century details in their offices. Does anyone here have access?

I just spoke with my two handymen, (I supervise construction and electrical people) they have worked in that building for quite a few years and don't seem to think anything remains.

Here are 2 pictures of the Hotel Breadalbane - I'm sure I've seen them here before -

s0372_ss0058_it1435june171937.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0517ca1945.jpg

Then came the Parkside Tavern - I can't remember when it opened or when it closed (I'm dating myself amongst other things) - Does anyone have a bigger picture of this old watering hole?

parksidetoronto.jpg

Then came Burger King - alas I have no picture of the building except when it stopped being a burger/transient haven, closed up shop, but left it's red trim everywhere.
parksidetavern2.jpg

And now ... Sobey's in all it's green splendour ...
Sobeys.jpg

Does anyone have dates for when the Hotel Breadalbane ended it's run and the Parkside Tavern lumbered in (Was there a business there in between times?).

Last edited:
donoreo, Conrad Black: Now that I know that you guys get distracted so easily, I will haze out details like the stag shop young lady in future posts.

I can't win on Yonge street. :)

May 27 addition.

Then. June 13, 1923. The Roaring Twenties. A classy Toronto Union Station. Straw boater hats on men after Victoria Day. Boyish figures on women. What's that got to do with this picture? Nothing. It's late and my creative writing abilities are flagging. :)

21june131923newunionstationrowofticketoffices.jpg

Now. May 2011. Mike Holmes needs to do his TV show number on that door - never mind - that whole "addition".

22.jpg

Mustapha: Neat Union Station comparison pictures...I have always admired TUS ever since my first Toronto visit in 1979 and I see it is aging well and has changed with the times...but those old ticket windows look quite interesting...

This is one of the most interesting topics in UT to me and I realize that I have missed alot...Then and Now never fails to amaze me...
LI MIKE

Here are 2 pictures of the Hotel Breadalbane - I'm sure I've seen them here before -

s0372_ss0058_it1435june171937.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0517ca1945.jpg

Then came the Parkside Tavern - I can't remember when it opened or when it closed (I'm dating myself amongst other things) - Does anyone have a bigger picture of this old watering hole?

parksidetoronto.jpg

Then came Burger King - alas I have no picture of the building except when it stopped being a burger/transient haven, closed up shop, but left it's red trim everywhere.
parksidetavern2.jpg

And now ... Sobey's in all it's green splendour ...
Sobeys.jpg

Does anyone have dates for when the Hotel Breadalbane ended it's run and the Parkside Tavern lumbered in (Was there a business there in between times?).

These three stage "Then|Later|Nows" are exceedingly tough to do. Thanks talamasca. Yes, I "did" the first picture in your Then series - the one looking west along Breadalbane.

Mustapha: Neat Union Station comparison pictures...I have always admired TUS ever since my first Toronto visit in 1979 and I see it is aging well and has changed with the times...but those old ticket windows look quite interesting...

This is one of the most interesting topics in UT to me and I realize that I have missed a lot recently...Then and Now never fails to amaze me...
LI MIKE

Thanks LI MIKE, train stations especially never fail to "amaze" me. Where else can you go and stand in such a vast and - usually in most cities - historic space?

May 30 addition.

Then. c1909. Traders Bank, NE corner of King and Spadina. Picture courtesy of wwwebster. A handsome white faced example and I'm wondering if it lasted until the present condominium, which is quite recent. Or perhaps there was a parking lot phase before the recent condominium? Does anyone know?

Traders Bank was absorbed by the Royal Bank in the 1910s. Traders Bank's stately head office still exists on the NE corner of Yonge and Colborne streets.

23SpadinaKingNEc1909.jpg

Now. May 2011.

24.jpg

May 30 addition.

Then. c1909. Traders Bank, NE corner of King and Spadina. Picture courtesy of wwwebster. A handsome white faced example and I'm wondering if it lasted until the present condominium, which is quite recent. Or perhaps there was a parking lot phase before the recent condominium? Does anyone know?

It lasted until the early 90s or so--though IIRC in pretty disfigured form...

I didn't get out to those wonderful "open doors" this weekend, so it's back to the old standby -T&N

TN350Danforth1912.jpg

Charioteer, do you have a higher resolution ot that Bloor & Jarvis areal shot? My old stomping grounds. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back