News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Interesting that in brewsters Bloor pictures above can be spied an early Pizza Pizza, before the personality change set in. :)

Yes, I noticed that too. Almost tasteful, though it looks better in black and white (pace Paul Simon).

Thankfully, they haven't made it out here yet.

Last edited:
But also...what was Thrift?!? I kinda remember it, bearded Scotsguy and all; but dunno whether it was specific to this location, or even whether it was a standalone or a mini-chain, or affiliated with any LoblawDominionWhatever whatchamacallits. (And probably didn't patronize it; after all, a store called "Thrift" on Queen East at its early 80s blue-collar-decline nadir wasn't exactly an appetizing prospect. Kinda like how the Parliament No Frills gives people the willies these days--not that Thrift actually was like that, but...)

According to the Canadian Trade-marks Database, the "Thrift" name was owned by Dominion and so yes, the store was affiliated with a big chain.

www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/...26&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=11

Re-downloaded lost photo's , Then & Now , Downtown.

refrence by Mr T.O., on Flickr

y a d by Mr T.O., on Flickr

sears by Mr T.O., on Flickr

hr 2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

sam 3 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

uptown 1 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

sam 22 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

sam 2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Sams by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Massey Hall 1 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Massey Hall by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Yonge and Queen by Mr T.O., on Flickr

king by Mr T.O., on Flickr

yonge street by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Yonge north by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Stock by Mr T.O., on Flickr

the bay by Mr T.O., on Flickr

uptown by Mr T.O., on Flickr

odeon by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Rio by Mr T.O., on Flickr

opera house by Mr T.O., on Flickr

IMG_5091 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

King and Yonge 1912-2011 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

IMG_5089 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

IMG_5066 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

IMG_5063 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

DDDDEDEDE by Mr T.O., on Flickr

GGGG by Mr T.O., on Flickr

eatss by Mr T.O., on Flickr

ger by Mr T.O., on Flickr

college by Mr T.O., on Flickr

eat 2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

eat 1 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

canon 2 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

hr 1 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

bank by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Canadian by Mr T.O., on Flickr

dundas sq by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Eaton by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Elgin by Mr T.O., on Flickr

canon by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Clipboard by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Yonge 1977-2011 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Clipboard by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Yonge and Bloor looking south 1 by Mr T.O., on Flickr

The guy in the suspenders walking past Bassel's restaurant is local artist Flavio Belli. The guy with him looks like Michael Levine, who used to work in the OCA(D) library in those days.

The guy in the suspenders walking past Bassel's restaurant is local artist Flavio Belli. The guy with him looks like Michael Levine, who used to work in the OCA(D) library in those days.

What a coincidence. When I opened the previous page to view the latest entries, I wondered if anyone has ever seen themselves or someone they knew in any a street photograp or post card. I then decided I would post that question after I viewed all the recent pics but lo and behold you answer that question without even having been asked the question. I am very very impressed.

Last edited:
According to the Canadian Trade-marks Database, the "Thrift" name was owned by Dominion and so yes, the store was affiliated with a big chain.

www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/...26&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=11

And Dominion itself was at its avoid-this-store nadir in the early 80s (wasn't it a Conrad Black pawn at the time?)--so, Dominion's (pre-Food Basics) answer to No Frills was about what one'd expect, I suppose. (Remember Dominion's answer to "No Name" packaging? Black stencilled lettering on white background, for the no-nonsense "army rations" effect. No wonder they flopped big time.)

I would go with around 1982-83ish. Notice the A.E. LePage sign. It's still a very nice looking building.

Thanks Mustapha for posting.

According to the date stamped on the original slide (which was sold by a friend of mine) it was August 22, 1979, with the photo taken by Robert McMann, who shot thousands of slides of streetcars around the city between 1961 and 1993.

I'm really impressed by the history of landfill at our waterfront.:

TNHarbourCommissionandsub.jpg

What a coincidence. When I opened the previous page to view the latest entries, I wondered if anyone has ever seen themselves or someone they knew in any a street photograp or post card. I then decided I would post that question after I viewed all the recent pics but lo and behold you answer that question without even having been asked the question. I am very very impressed.

I only remember those who are fun between the sheets.

Cobra heads

Stumack-Thanks for the clarification-one thing about car designs from back then was how quickly they changed from year to year...
A notable exception was the Volkswagen Beetle as many know...I believe it was as cheap an import to buy in Canada as it was in the US...

As you mention Studebakers were not common in Canada...were they sold there or all imported from the US?

Being a license plate collector I usually notice the plate colors as I avidly collect Canada's provinces just as I collect US states...

Those "cobra" light brackets looked to me more modern then '63-but they are definitely a '60s design...
Were the lights mercury-vapor bulbs (new in the 60s) or traditional incandesent ones?

LI MIKE

Those cobra heads were designed in the late 40s and started appearing on North American streets around 1952-53

Stumack-Thanks for the clarification-one thing about car designs from back then was how quickly they changed from year to year...
A notable exception was the Volkswagen Beetle as many know...I believe it was as cheap an import to buy in Canada as it was in the US...

As you mention Studebakers were not common in Canada...were they sold there or all imported from the US?

Being a license plate collector I usually notice the plate colors as I avidly collect Canada's provinces just as I collect US states...

Those "cobra" light brackets looked to me more modern then '63-but they are definitely a '60s design...
Were the lights mercury-vapor bulbs (new in the 60s) or traditional incandesent ones?

LI MIKE

The cobra heads are actually a late 40s design, and appeared on North American streets as early as 1949.

Back