News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Latterly (i.e. until the addition was built some 20-25 yrs ago), there was a 2/3-storey 40s Moderne thing built for Barclay's Bank IIRC...

Then and Now for March 1.

Then. Forty Castle Frank. c1910. "Interesting Stone and Half-Timbered Resi dence of Mr. G.E. Bryant. Castle Frank Crescent Toronto. Messrs. Chadwick and Beckett, Architects."

42740CastleFrankCrc1910.jpg

Now. August 2011.

428.jpg

Then and Now for March 2nd.

Then. Fifty-Seven Castle Frank Crescent. "Seven Oaks. The home of Charles H Fleming." c1910. Same architects as last nights house, busy guys.

42957CastleFrankCrc1910.jpg

Now. August 2011.

430.jpg

I could have stepped inside the gate to take a picture but there were children within...

And.. parked trucks and those young cedars made for a Perfect Storm to defy my picture taking. A Perfect Storm I tell you.

Then and Now for March 2nd.

Then. Fifty-Seven Castle Frank Crescent. "Seven Oaks. The home of Charles H Fleming." c1910. Same architects as last nights house, busy guys.

42957CastleFrankCrc1910.jpg

Now. August 2011.

430.jpg

I could have stepped inside the gate to take a picture but there were children within...

And.. parked trucks and those young cedars made for a Perfect Storm to defy my picture taking. A Perfect Storm I tell you.

Children??? Lol. Why I find that funny is that these neighbourhoods are seen as family neighbourhoods and pro-family and family, family, family! When ever I walk through them I see a lot of SUVs, some bikes, etc, but NEVER do I see children playing outside or anything. Lol.

I'm still amazed that building has been a dry cleaners for what seems like its entire history. I was staring at it this morning from breakfast at Motorama

Children??? Lol. Why I find that funny is that these neighbourhoods are seen as family neighbourhoods and pro-family and family, family, family! When ever I walk through them I see a lot of SUVs, some bikes, etc, but NEVER do I see children playing outside or anything. Lol.

In my travels I was surprised to see young parents too... the owners of some of these homes. Surprising to me that success, if owning a home in Rosedale or Forest Hill is a measure of success - and I suppose it can be for many of us - can come early in life for some.

Perhaps our Goldie will like this. Perhaps not, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

The link takes you to three wonderful pictures of a disappeared American restaurant chain. Nothing significant about this I suppose but I have this thing for genuine vintage restaurant interiors - newly minted 'retro' doesn't do anything for me. I do know that some of you who like vintage Mid Century interiors will love these.

http://www.retrothing.com/2010/03/vi...nt-photos.html

I don't believe we have much left in Toronto - Frans - can't think of anyplace else right now. Silver Rail, Bassells, the Simpsons store basement curved lunch counter - dining or lunching within - such a sense of occasion - all gone. It's to weep. We have 'Chipotle' instead. And those Peter Oliver restaurants. And mall food courts.. although the one at Village By The Grange has a great indy cafe/Bohemian/art student vibe to it. I'm there at least a couple times a week.

"I don't believe we have much left in Toronto "
QUOTE Mustapha.

The Lakeview on n/s Dundas, east of Ossington.
(Toronto Refrigeration built interior.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Perhaps our Goldie will like this. Perhaps not, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

The link takes you to three wonderful pictures of a disappeared American restaurant chain. Nothing significant about this I suppose but I have this thing for genuine vintage restaurant interiors - newly minted 'retro' doesn't do anything for me. I do know that some of you who like vintage Mid Century interiors will love these.

http://www.retrothing.com/2010/03/vi...nt-photos.html

I don't believe we have much left in Toronto - Frans - can't think of anyplace else right now. Silver Rail, Bassells, the Simpsons store basement curved lunch counter - dining or lunching within - such a sense of occasion - all gone. It's to weep. We have 'Chipotle' instead. And those Peter Oliver restaurants. And mall food courts.. although the one at Village By The Grange has a great indy cafe/Bohemian/art student vibe to it. I'm there at least a couple times a week.

I remember Sambo's growing up--we had a couple of them in Columbus. The chain died largely because its marketing was based around the "Little Black Sambo" story (although that was allegedly not where the name came from originally). Even though they tweaked the imagery to feature a little light-skinned kid in a turban, the racism accusation dogged them and the chain was eventually dismantled.

Folks who like a good retro diner should visit Shake Rabble 'n' Roll in Whitby on Dundas St. Although consciously retro, the decor is nicely done and the homeburgers are tasty. Better yet, come on Saturdays during the summer--there's generally a cruise with vintage cars going in the adjoining parking lot and field.

Back