8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

dunkalunk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is the Waterfront West LRT project dead? If not then the section of track which would have connected Roncesvalles to Exhibition, and the new streetcar track on Bremner are still important missing links in Toronto's streetcar network. The same goes for a Queens Quay East LRT which could then be extended along Commissionners Blvd

Also, instead of trying to modify the LSB track to LRT standards, a fully separated median LRT could be feasibly built on the Queensway to connect to Sherway Gardens. There is a lot of development potential that exists along this big box stretch. As well, the function of the Roncesvalles carhouse could be relocated to Sherway where there would be room to construct a newer facility, freeing up the land for redevelopment and a station complex for a Sunnyside-Roncesvalles intermodal station.

A few more missing links would be
-Parliament Streetcar connecting Castle Frank to the Distillery District and the Portlands
-streetcar track on Coxwell between LSB and Danforth
-an extension of the St.Clair Streetcar to Scarlett Road
-new streetcar track on Dufferin from Queen to Bloor.
-turning on the signal priority on Spadina

Last edited:
Is the Waterfront West LRT project dead? If not then the section of track which would have connected Roncesvalles to Exhibition, and the new streetcar track on Bremner are still important missing links in Toronto's streetcar network. The same goes for a Queens Quay East LRT which could then be extended along Commissionners Blvd

Also, instead of trying to modify the LSB track to LRT standards, a fully separated median LRT could be feasibly built on the Queensway to connect to Sherway Gardens. There is a lot of development potential that exists along this big box stretch. As well, the function of the Roncesvalles carhouse could be relocated to Sherway where there would be room to construct a newer facility, freeing up the land for redevelopment and a station complex for a Sunnyside-Roncesvalles intermodal station.

A few more missing links would be
-Parliament Streetcar connecting Castle Frank to the Distillery District and the Portlands
-streetcar track on Coxwell between Dundas and Bloor
-an extension of the St.Clair Streetcar to Scarlett Road
-new streetcar track on Dufferin from Queen to Bloor.
-turning on the signal priority on Spadina

Not during the current city hall administration.

Another missing link would be to replace the current 40 Junction bus with a streetcar to connect with the 512 St. Clair extension to Scarlett Road. That way, the 512 streetcar can get a quicker route to the Roncesvalles barns through the Dundas West station.

I may want to start with a 40 Junction extension to serve as a St. Clair shuttle, replacing the St. Clair arm of the 71 Runnymede bus.

Last edited:
There are certainly places where new streetcar links or lines would be good but many of those listed above are quite major projects.

There are also some more minor fixes that could make the current system much more flexible. Some might involve property acquisition as the curves would otherwise be too tight.

*We need a better short-turn option on eastbound King East and Queen East - the TTC has land at Broadview and Queen reserved for a loop but no sign of any money to build it. This could replace the current short-turn routes on both King and Queen - Parliament. Dundas etc) and provide better service.
*At Parliament and King it would be good to add curves west to north and south to west - these would replace the former Parliament loop that the TTC abandoned and subsequently sold off. (This one is hard to do due to the recent construction and may be unnecessary if they build the Cherry line correctly so that it can act as a diversion/short-turn route.)
*At Parliament and Queen there should be additional curves.
*York Street is being rebuilt this year as one way north only. Too bad as we need another southbound diversion route downtown to "match" Church..
*Adelaide should be rebuilt from Church to Spadina to provide a eastbound diversion for both King and Queen..
*Richmond should be extended from York to Spadina to provide a longer westbound diversion for both King and Queen.
*Bay from King to Dundas with curves at Queen too.

Lots of other possibilities, some would be reinstating old lines/curves and others would be new. The aim should be to increase flexibility and allow short-turned or diverted cars to quickly get back on their route.

22 Coxwell could have been replaced with streetcars, however, looking at the current plans for the Coxwell Station Easier Access Program, at this link, I don't see much hope. Hardly any room for a CLRV, much less a longer Bombardier Flexity Outlook to use Coxwell Station, in its current or proposed design.

Coxwell_7.jpg

Coxwell_2.jpg

Now, if they took over the parking lot next to the Shoppers Drug Mart...

Attachments

• Coxwell_7.jpg
    Coxwell_7.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 569
Pretty sure I meant Coxwell. It would be a natural extension of Portland streetcars to extend the existing track and terminate at Coxwell Station. Not saying that Keele wouldn't make a good streetcar corridor though.

I'm a huge fan of a Sunnyside inter-modal station. If the DRL ran through there on the way to Dundas West, GO put a station there, and a streetcar hub was built, it would be very useful.

You could then terminate the Queen streetcar there, and the section west of it could terminate there as a new route (507?), recognizing the very different operating environments each side of the junction. People could then transfer onto the DRL to head North or Downtown, or transfer to GO. It would also mean that a Waterfront West LRT link to exhibition wouldn't be needed anymore.

If a new streetcar facility was built somewhere else, the TTC then already owns prime land at Sunnyside for a new complex and maybe a condo or two...

Pretty sure I meant Coxwell.
I don't understand then. You said Coxwell from Dundas to Bloor ... but Coxwell doesn't go anywhere near Bloor.

And the tracks already go about 3 times further north on Coxwell, north of Dundas, than they go south of Dundas.

Dufferin I would like to see operate all the way up to Wilson, terminating at Wilson station. It cannot be built to LRT standards due to the width of the Dufferin ROW though.

I don't understand then. You said Coxwell from Dundas to Bloor ... but Coxwell doesn't go anywhere near Bloor.

And the tracks already go about 3 times further north on Coxwell, north of Dundas, than they go south of Dundas.

Coxwell from LSB to Danforth. Coxwell has streetcar trackage from Queen to Gerrard.

Last edited:
Lakeshore Blvd...took me a few minutes to figure it out...I hate when people use uncommon abbreviations.

Wrong on a technicality. Its "Lake Shore Blvd." within Toronto, not "Lakeshore Blvd.". But, then people got off on other technicalities as well.

Back