News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This rendering looks slightly different than the one posted on the first page of this thread.

civic_square_render.jpg

The raised garden area will have Ginkgo biloba and Shademaster Honey Locust trees. Also Euonymus Fortunei Coloratus, which is very nice.

This rendering looks slightly different than the one posted on the first page of this thread.

civic_square_render.jpg

The raised garden area will have Ginkgo biloba and Shademaster Honey Locust trees. Also Euonymus Fortunei Coloratus, which is very nice.

Based on what was presented at Council last week, both renders are wrong.

The trees layout is different than this one with double row. I don't think there are any in the pond area itself.

The stage to the south is different.

I can't say I feel it's as all-caps 'spectacular' as you do, Louroz- but it looks very good, and a huge improvement over what was there.

Here are some new renders and highlights from the presentation:

Raised garden that runs along west side of square:
civicsquare_new1.jpg

Revised island in the middle of the water feature/rink (I like the integrated benches)
civicsquare_new2.jpg

Amphitheatre, complete with a vomitorium:
civicsquare_new3.jpg

View from amphitheatre:
civicsquare_new4.jpg

The addition to the library (the current entrance is horrid...this is a welcome change):
civicsquare_new5.jpg

The market-type area on the east side of the library square:
civicsquare_new6.jpg

Stage and media wall:
civicsquare_new7.jpg

Rear of stage and media wall (Burnhamthorpe view):
civicsquare_new8.jpg

Interesting to see paid parking under the squares included as part of the plan. The bike parking areas look good. But what happened to the new entrance to the Civic Centre?

Media Wall and Stage

I love everything except for that media wall and stage.

It blocks the view of City Hall from the street and I'm pretty sure goes against the city's own City Centre District Plan.

I would have liked to see a collapsible stage.

Louroz

I agree Louroz. Is this stage supposed to accommodate everything from Shakespeare in the Park to the country bands at Ribfest?

Any kind of better entrance to the Central Library building would be an improvement. Generally, I like both City Hall and the library building, but they both suffer from the very strange shortcoming that it's hard to see where the entrances are. They don't seem very "welcoming", and this was only made worse by the walls around City Hall.

Major improvements in the works! Can't wait to see it.

If the stage were going to block the view of the square and city hall from Burnhamthorpe, It could at least try and look better.

I think they've done a lot of good here, but think they could do certain things a little better.

First off - the stage is awful, especially the cover. It would be a shame for all their efforts to be held back by making an eyesore of one of the focal points.

It's not 'spectacular' but I like the media wall idea, especially how much of it will be a more mesh type for more simple effects and not video or advertising. It will add to the ambiance if executed properly.

I'm not impressed with the trellis running down the east side of Library Square. It needs to be there to both help frame the space and provide cover for vendors and such - but it would better 'complete' the square if they repeated the green covered portico here, and added the trellis to each side of it, as they seem to be doing by the coliseum. It will be a nice touch there, but the area would look more 'complete' of they did the same thing south of City Centre Dr as well.

There doesn't seem to be any permanent accommodation for vendors, which would help draw more people to the square. It's easy to stage events, but there has to be more than just an empty space to make people use it. Street meat, coffee/hot choc, roasted chestnuts, news stand... something. These could be permanently housed under the portico if they went with my idea above.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I just got back from Vegas and need to sleep ~

All those pics are basically artist impressions and such. The final construction will likely be very different. Although I'm not a fan of any final construction of a media wall that big.

I like the idea of a large gathering place for relaxing and shopping. Although I don't see it happening, I hope they institute some kind of No Pets Policy.... at least for certain parts of the area.

I live in the area and with the endless condos already up and even more going up, the endless doggy pee and poop is gross. As usual, only a portion of pet owners pick up their pets waste and zero pick up urine. The winter is the worst. Cold, white and the stuff doesn't disappear for months. Have fun having your kids play in any nearby park or grassy knoll.

I don't want any pet issues affecting this new Mississauga renovation. I want an area I can relax and sit on the grass to read a book. Historically, that whole area (under construction now) is barren aside from the concerts and small festivals beside the library. When people traffic picks up when the reno is done, no doubt all the pet owners will be joining the area on a frequent basis with their dogs. Keep it clean.

Last edited:
I agree that pet owners must clean up the mess they leave behind, but I feel that common community enforcement is a much stronger approach than a blanket ban. Nobody wins by being blindly exclusive.

The stage is pretty horrible. I like the media wall however. What I'd rather see is the stage and media wall on the east side of that area.

That stage and media wall are pretty terrible. And if they are blocking the view of the square from the street, they are a true disaster. They would have been better off leaving the square alone.

(and who fricken' needs a 'media wall'? The screens will be near useless and will be in disrepair in no time. Or worse, they will flash lots of advertising. Leave the screens for commercial sectors of the city.)

It's not entirely true that the media wall will block City Hall. It will block parts of it, but not the whole thing at the same time.

mediawall.jpg

Back