News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

However, that helps to prove my point. These outdoor pools were aging, and they are being replaced using "stimulus" funds from senior levels of government. Two indoor pools (Malton and Clarkson) are being replaced with completely new pools. But this is ongoing in Mississauga. Four of the libraries are now being rebuilt and are currently closed, including Port Credit which was (IMO) a disgrace. Five years ago a major project resulted in a rebuild of several community centres to "new" standards. Of course that's not to mention several major facilities built completely new within the past 10 years or so, especially Hershey Centre, Iceland, and the track and field centre at St. Marcellinus School.

Soon it will be pretty difficult to find any community centres, arenas, pools, libraries, or infrastructure of that sort that will be more than "effectively" about 10 years old. I'd say it stacks up very favourably against Toronto, where they have built precisely one new arena in the past 25 years.

However, that helps to prove my point. These outdoor pools were aging, and they are being replaced using "stimulus" funds from senior levels of government. Two indoor pools (Malton and Clarkson) are being replaced with completely new pools. But this is ongoing in Mississauga. Four of the libraries are now being rebuilt and are currently closed, including Port Credit which was (IMO) a disgrace. Five years ago a major project resulted in a rebuild of several community centres to "new" standards. Of course that's not to mention several major facilities built completely new within the past 10 years or so, especially Hershey Centre, Iceland, and the track and field centre at St. Marcellinus School.

Soon it will be pretty difficult to find any community centres, arenas, pools, libraries, or infrastructure of that sort that will be more than "effectively" about 10 years old. I'd say it stacks up very favourably against Toronto, where they have built precisely one new arena in the past 25 years.

You have to take growth into account when making such statements ... Toronto doesn't need to build **much** more then one arena - even in the last 25+ years - I say **much** to leave some room for growth. Moreover, I'd argue, in the past, a lot more rinks were built then they would today for a given population, in other words, you can do the math, but per capita I bet were more then on par ... but I'll leave that to you :)

The taxes are higher in Mississauga and I'm glad to see that it apparently translates into well maintained community recreational amenities. But it's not surprising that this city of 700,000 might have some money lying around for community centres with infrastructure at most a half century old, no rapid transit infrastructure and a 21 year waiting list for social housing. They've got to do something with the money.

The taxes are higher in Mississauga and I'm glad to see that it apparently translates into well maintained community recreational amenities. But it's not surprising that this city of 700,000 might have some money lying around for community centres with infrastructure at most a half century old, no rapid transit infrastructure and a 21 year waiting list for social housing. They've got to do something with the money.

Funding for social housing is responsibility of the Province of Ontario and all social housing in Mississauga is built and operated by the Region of Peel.

But yeah, this is Mississauga, so it makes more sense to blame the so-called City instead.

Funding for social housing is responsibility of the Province of Ontario and all social housing in Mississauga is built and operated by the Region of Peel.

But yeah, this is Mississauga, so it makes more sense to blame the so-called City instead.

I don't think that's correct ... I think part of the funding for welfare / social housing / anything along those lines comes from the local level?

Well, no matter who funds it, it's up to push the issue and later bear the additional costs of administration/operation and providing city services and building infrastructure for people who pay little or nothing in municipal taxes. I'm just tired of those in Mississauga who compare Mississauga's finances with Toronto's and brag about how the former is doing so well as if they're accomplished. Yeah, it's Toronto, so it's just tax and spend city hall that's to blame. Please. Show me your budget when you have a decent rapid transit network and have housing for the poor instead of shifting it all on Toronto's back.

I don't think that's correct ... I think part of the funding for welfare / social housing / anything along those lines comes from the local level?

Regional government is the local level. Peel Region is responsible for housing. (Which in turn gets funding from the cities and Province.

Only because of downloading by the Harris government which in turn was previously downloaded from the Federal government. It used to be 100% high level government. Now it is mostly municipal. And of course the municialities cannot afford it.

Well, no matter who funds it, it's up to push the issue and later bear the additional costs of administration/operation and providing city services and building infrastructure for people who pay little or nothing in municipal taxes.

All 905 municipalities (except Markham) call for funding for social housing within their borders all the time...

I'm just tired of those in Mississauga who compare Mississauga's finances with Toronto's and brag about how the former is doing so well as if they're accomplished. Yeah, it's Toronto, so it's just tax and spend city hall that's to blame. Please. Show me your budget when you have a decent rapid transit network...

Your rapid transit network was funded by people in Mississauga and the rest of Ontario. And it still is.

Mississauga's better maintained and wider roads are not funded by the Province.

..and have housing for the poor instead of shifting it all on Toronto's back.

SOCIAL HOUSING IS A PROVINCIAL AND FEDERAL RESPONSIBILITY. IT HAS NOTHING TO WITH EITHER MISSISSAUGA OR TORONTO.

Considering the terrible state of disrepair and neglect that Toronto's social housing projects are in, and Toronto's own 12 year waiting list for social housing, Torontonians shouldn't talk.

I really don't understand the whole Mississauga vs. Toronto stuff. For someone who is on the outside... it was only until recently (started university) that I found out Mississauga was a city on it's own and not just apart of Toronto.

I think it is a bit silly for neighbours to fight over common issues. Who cares if Mississauga does 'this', or Toronto has to do 'this' for Mississauga, or Mississauga pays for 'this' in Toronto.

Someone has to pay for it.

I really don't understand the whole Mississauga vs. Toronto stuff. For someone who is on the outside... it was only until recently (started university) that I found out Mississauga was a city on it's own and not just apart of Toronto.

I think it is a bit silly for neighbours to fight over common issues. Who cares if Mississauga does 'this', or Toronto has to do 'this' for Mississauga, or Mississauga pays for 'this' in Toronto.

You're right. Nothing good will come out these sorts squabbles. We're an urban region and we need to work together and not have people in the individual municipalities arrogantly putting each other down.

You're right. Nothing good will come out these sorts squabbles. We're an urban region and we need to work together and not have people in the individual municipalities arrogantly putting each other down.

I've been saying this for years. It's always the people in Toronto putting Mississauga and other '905' cities down. It's really weird, because it should be the other way around. It should be the suburban cities that are jealous of Toronto.

I've been saying this for years. It's always the people in Toronto putting Mississauga and other '905' cities down. It's really weird, because it should be the other way around. It should be the suburban cities that are jealous of Toronto.

I think it was the opposite this time around ... just saying ...

:)

Last edited:

Someone has to pay for it.

The thing is the neighbours don't fight. They are united on these issues. Both mayors Hazel McCallion and David Miller for example have countless times called for increased funding from higher level of governments for social housing and transit.

The idea that Mississauga has been trying discourage social housing and put it all on Toronto is ridiculous. This ain't like the US where suburban police officers pick up homeless people in the suburbs and dump in the city.

It just certain people trying to make it look like there is inter-municipal conflict when there is none.

Back