News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

"Mr. John R. Baird (Nepean-Carleton) "I've got to tell you that I was elected to this place, and the best political advice I have ever received from a member of this Legislature came from Gerry Phillips, the Chair of Management Board. He said there are three people you don't mess with. You don't mess with Don Cherry, you don't mess with Mel Lastman and you don't mess with Hazel McCallion."

Harris walked all over Lastman, and Baird cost Bob Chiarelli his re-election in Ottawa - all while Baird was at Treasury Board (same thing as the Management Board).

I think it is a case on no one wanting to mess with grandma.

Hey there syn.

The thing that I find most offensive about the Mississauga Cabal is how they SHIT all over Toronto at every opportunity.

Or manufacture any opportunity to SHIT on Toronto.

I HATE IT WHEN THEY SHIT ON TORONTO!

Their stupifying morally-beyond-redemption arrogance --spouting noises about being Theee Canadian city to emulate.

Insufferable twerps the lot of them save two --Martin Powell, Commissioner of Transportation and Works and Edward R. Sajecki, Commissioner of Planning and Building. These seem two straight-up people and not only respect them but like them too.

Signed,
The (I love Toronto) Mississauga Muse

OMG Muse you have no idea how much this annoys me as well. I don't understand how anyone in their right mind can consider Mississauga superior to Toronto. Yes, we have no debt and that's great. But Mississauga should have rapid transit. And by that I mean a subway. But Mississauga just doesn't have enough vision. Look at the Hydro Mississauga thing. Let's sell it off and then lose a valuable and profitable company.

Toronto also has its shortsightedness, e.g. Transfer City, but it also has a lot of great points. And Toronto isn't so much arrogant as ignorant (considering Mississauga for instance).

There are plenty of times when the city pumps itself up to ridiculous levels but honestly I have never seen them bash Toronto, or at least not the same way Torontonians bash Mississauga.

Where is Muse? Is she cooped up in some Mississauga jail noted for its high rates of satisfaction?

Where is Muse? Is she cooped up in some Mississauga jail noted for its high rates of satisfaction?

Hey there, Hydrogen.

Just droppin' by before I head out to today's Mississauga Council General Committee meeting.

Been away to Newfoundland for a few days. Began to get interested in graffiti of all things. Like this.

2489816285_24cd8c46eb_o.jpg

This one's got me the most intrigued. I even shot video of it to post to YouTube so I can ask questions about it.

Also visited two townhalls while there.

Gander townhall.

And Grand Falls/Windsor town hall.

For people interested in buses, I found a 1967 GMC former transit bus purchased in Vancouver, now residing in the middle of The Rock.

OH! And I dipped both of my evil empire flags into the Atlantic --so now they've been into both oceans.

8:08... oh man got to go. It's been a full week since I've had to brace myself for a litany of lies...

Hey Muse,

I meant to ask you a while back if the issue discussed in the article posted in the this thread: http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=8963 affects your efforts (access to information)?

Hi there, Hydrogen.

Huge apologizes for not responding sooner. I've simply been too busy researching that I haven't had much time for Urban.

To answer your question, no, Harper's preference to keep citiizens in the dark hasn't affected my efforts. I do know why he's so terrified of Freedom of Information (FOI).

124 pages arrived on Friday that blows a hole into the argument about "If you've got nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about". The implications are so extensive that I don't even know how to deal with them except that I can't reveal them right now.

I do want to say this. It's no coincidence that at last Wednesday's Council meeting, Mississauga admitted to having no public complaints procedure and that they hired a lawyer-consultant who just estimated a citizen's complaint to come out at $50,000 and that it might be more once that citizen reveal all his complaints.

The report was "referred back to staff" to look at how to deal with "a process". My background FOI's revealed that Mississauga had no public complaints process that a reasonable person would regard as a public complaints process. I mean isn't No Complaints Process the epitomy of efficient government?

Here's what I didn't know and my ass fell off because it has implications for all citizens of Ontario. Directly from the Mississauga Corporate report:

"The Municipal Act, 2001 grants municipalities broad powers to establish a governance structure and provide for accountability and transparency of the municipal corporation and its operations. Save and except the obligation to establish a procedure for handling complaints respecting in-camera discussions, there is no statutory requirement that municipalities create or establish a complaints procedure, policy or protocol. While the Municipal Act, 2001, now authorizes municipalities to appoint an Integrity Commissioner or an Ombudsman as part of a governmance structure, these are discretionary powers. Also, there is no statutory obligation for municipalities to deal with complaints from the general public (except for a close [sic] meeting investigation) in any particular way. Accordingly, there is no guidance or direction in legislation regarding how a municipality may choose to investigate compliants such as those filed by Mr. Barber."

I know that elsewhere on Urban, I quoted Carolyn Parrish as saying that municipalities are "The Children of the Province". I'd proclaimed these "Children" to be BRATS and unsupervised.

What I didn't know was how right I was.

Here's video of the admission that Mississauga hasn't a public complaints procedure. I'll remind readers of Mississauga's slogan, "TRUST, QUALITY, EXCELLENCE".

All the while they were crowing this during my observation period I witnessed some of Donald Barber's private hell when he was arrested by Mississauga Corporate Security, 76 year old Antonio Batista spend an obscene amount of money in legal fees when he was arrested for a frikkin' POEM he wrote after his frustration that his complaints weren't being addressed.

I've just deleted four paragraphs deciding I didn't want to reveal something else (don't want to "telegraph" something).

Just let me show you videos of Mississauga Council --this one, when they admitted to no complaints process. What's their response? Get "staff" (meaning Legal Department) to look into a complaints process to INVESTIGATE STAFF!

I ask you. How is that not a Conflict of Interest?

Here.

MISSISSAUGA COUNCIL ADMITS TO NO PUBLIC COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE

And just for fun -- can't reveal all the undercurrents going on here but, this video shows the announcement --re-affirmation of support for the Mississauga City Manager and Mississauga's TRUST QUALITY EXCELLENCE.

"THE REVEAL" -MISSISSAUGA IN-CAMERA (post closed meeting)

I've begun researching other municipalities for a month now as a result of a "discovery". A kind of Freedom of Information a-HAH!

Over the Victoria Day weekend, we visited Ottawa City Hall and Kingston City Hall with just one purpose. To follow up on the Freedom of Informations I dropped down on both and run a quick "video surveillance test" on them.

Here's the Ottawa result. PASS. But. Freedom of Information may reveal a different story....

Far too much for one person to do --all this research. But the Province has seen fit not to have any oversight into municipalities. I'm almost OK, I didn't get scortched like Barber and Batista did.

Plus I can kind of fight back through YouTube and Google Video.

But what about all the others? I can tell you this. There are a people right now in jail because of municipalities. And many more with arrest records. And they just don't know that all they needed was to drop down an FOI with just the right questions on them.

As for the traditional media? Still trumpeting Mississauga's "efficiency" to the heavens?

I have even MORE CONTEMPT for them.

Thanks for asking Hydrogen. You provided me with an opportunity for an update. However, on the negative, I don't have time for a new Blog entry now.

Please forgive any typos. Lots to do today....

Funny. I was just about to send this and I got an alert from The Mississauga News.

Hazel going home for meeting of mayors

By: John Stewart

May 26, 2008 08:08 AM - Mayor Hazel McCallion returns to her home province this week when the mayors of Canada's 22 largest cities gather to discuss how they will deal with the many challenges they face.
McCallion, who was born in Port Daniel on the Gaspé Peninsula, will be at the Big City Mayors' Caucus in Quebec City, which is celebrating its 400th anniversary this year. The conference begins Thursday with the release of a report on policing roles, responsibilities and resources at a news conference at 11 a.m.
Among other GTA mayors scheduled to be in attendance are David Miller of Toronto and Susan Fennell of Brampton.
The conference is being held at the Hilton Hotel. Part of the conference will be closed to the media.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Just let me show you videos of Mississauga Council --this one, when they admitted to no complaints process. What's their response? Get "staff" (meaning Legal Department) to look into a complaints process to INVESTIGATE STAFF!

One does not know whether to laugh or cry at that.

Otherwise, looking forward to your "revelation" once you are good and ready.

One does not know whether to laugh or cry at that.

Otherwise, looking forward to your "revelation" once you are good and ready.

Hey there, Hydrogen,

To be fair, it isn't just Mississauga. The Province simply did not see fit to add any provision into the 2001 Municipal Act that required municipalities to have a public complaints process.

To Mississauga's credit, they admitted it and actually showed where to lay the blame. The "Children of the Province" are unsupervised by a Province pronouncing (for how many years now?) that "municipalities are accountable and responsible governments".

Here's the horrid part, Hydrogen. I know that I still haven't scraped Bottom yet.

The thing that kills me, Hydrogen is how come a 58 year old female had to find this out? That's an even horrid-er part. Who's looking out for citizens? (especially those who need looking out for the most?)

I'm asking because I still can't find any oversight agency.

Signed,
The (surrounded by evil empires) Mississauga Muse

The Province simply did not see fit to add any provision into the 2001 Municipal Act that required municipalities to have a public complaints process.

Well, being that the people living there are residents, taxpayers, citizens, human beings - why would they ever wish to complain about something amiss in their community. ;)

My the oversight is historical in that complaints were usually exercised during elections. One would have thought that by 2001 things would have changed. Then again, maybe there were concerns over the possibility of excessive complaints. Who knows.

Keep on going Muse.

Mississauga "mulling"?! There's ONLY one legitimate response.

Well, being that the people living there are residents, taxpayers, citizens, human beings - why would they ever wish to complain about something amiss in their community. ;)

My the oversight is historical in that complaints were usually exercised during elections. One would have thought that by 2001 things would have changed. Then again, maybe there were concerns over the possibility of excessive complaints. Who knows.

Keep on going Muse.

Hey again, Hydrogen and thanks for e encouragement. I'm going to share an article in the National Post about Mississauga activist, Donald Barber and in the next message, what The Mississauga News had to say.

Just know this. I support Barber and have offered to be a witness. But ONLY if my testimony and any questions asked of me is taped. Taped, not in some minutes.

TAPED.

isn't it municipal Big Brother himself who'd reassure citizens about video surveillance by saying, "If you have nothing to hide, then why worry?"

My response to Mississauga's potential balk at my insistence to being taped, I simply say, "If you have nothing to hide, then why worry?"

Here's the National Post.

Gadfly has Mississauga mulling options

Hire Ombudsman?

Diana Mehta, National Post
Published: Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mississauga city hall is struggling to figure out what to do about a series of complaints from local gadfly Donald Barber, who came a distant second to Hazel McCallion in the last mayoral election and has become a constant thorn in city council's side.

[Here's the actual report that I posted to YouTube, MISSISSAUGA COUNCIL ADMITS TO NO PUBLIC COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE]

Mr. Barber has made complaints against city staff since the November, 2006, election, ranging from claims of bias on the part of the city solicitor to complaints a city security guard hoped to entice a fight with him. He has told the city manager he will only reveal details, and new complaints, when the city develops an efficient way to deal with his issues.

According to Mr. Barber, he is not the only dissatisfied Mississauga resident tiring of how the city handles formal complaints. A well-known face to those at council--he was once arrested for protesting a policy change on public participation (he spent a night in jail, but all charges were withdrawn) -- he said he will not rest until his concerns have been appropriately dealt with.

During a council debate last week, most councillors agreed some kind of process was needed to deal with such complaints. The city manager, Janice Baker, told council it would cost more than $50,000 to hire an independent investigator to address Mr. Barber's complaints. A permanent ombudsman would cost at least double that to set up, according to experts.

"I think we should look at the [complaints] process," Ms. McCallion said. "An ombudsman might be the way to go at the end of the day."

Council decided to ask staff for a report with recommendations on a formal complaints policy before it made any decisions.

Mr. Barber-- who came second to Ms. McCallion with 5% of the vote in the 2006 election -- said he's not convinced any city review will address his concerns, and is contemplating going to the provincial ombudsman.

He said the Mayor will pick a solution that suits her. "Right now there's a bit of a cult around Hazel," he said.

City spokeswoman Catherine Monast said formal complaints from citizens have previously been resolved at staff level or with a report to council. Outside investigators have been used on rare occasions, she added. "We've never been criticized for handling of complaints in the past," she said.

Ward 8 Councillor Katie Mahoney said all complaints in her ward have been successfully dealt with through her staff and herself.

"I guess Mr. Barber has some issues and some concerns, but he's the only one in my memory that has formalized any of his complaints," she said. "We don't seem to have a flood of these issues coming forward so we have to at all times balance the value of an ombudsman or complaints procedure.''

Bob Young, a municipal expert and professor at the University of Western Ontario, said a city ombudsman is left with a limited field of complaints not addressed with by councillors or the Ontario Municipal Board.

"The question is, are you going to have an independent bureaucratic agency to take up citizen's complaints about non-planning matters? I wouldn't set it up for one person. One the other hand, you'll never know the demand unless you set one up," Mr. Young said.

With the hefty cost of setting up an ombudsman's office, a one-time investigator could be the solution to dealing with rare cases like Mr. Barber's, he said.

Municipal governance expert George Cuff, however, said a city ombudsman would be a "win-win situation" for residents and the city.

"People are intimidated by the size of the structure,'' said Mr. Cuff, a consultant and past president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities who has authored a guide for municipal politicians. ''I think having somebody as the public friendly face is far easier for someone to voice their concerns."

At present, under the Municipal Act there is no obligation or requirement for the city to investigate Mr. Barber's complaints at all. The act authorizes municipalities to appoint ombudsmen. All provinces, as well as the cities of Toronto and Montreal, have an ombudsman to deal with conflicts from a third-party stance.

Referee needed to sort out critic's complaints

In his latest dispute with the municipality, four-time mayoralty candidate, Donald Barber has councillors collectively scratching their heads.

By: John Stewart

May 29, 2008 12:34 PM - The constant complaining of a controversial civic activist has City Council considering hiring an ombudsman.

It's not unusual for Donald Barber to have a complaint — or many — about what goes on at City Hall in Mississauga.
But the four-time mayoralty candidate seems to have thrown a spanner into the works in his latest dispute with the municipality.

His call for an independent review of his latest raft of concerns about how City Hall operates, including how its security forces deal with citizens like him, has councillors collectively scratching their heads about how to proceed.
In a formal report prepared as a result of a series of complaints Barber submitted to Council on March 26, it has been suggested that the City hire an independent investigator to review all of the materials and prepare a recommendation to Council.

The complaints allege a number of improper activities by City legal, election, security and financial staff.

In her report, City Manager Janice Baker said, "the City should engage an independent and impartial person or entity to carry out the investigation and prepare a report."
But when the potential cost — likely to exceed $50,000 — was mentioned, councillors decided to give the issue further consideration.

Barber, who was charged with criminal assault stemming from an incident with City security guards in June 2006 — a charge that was eventually dropped by the Crown for lack of evidence — believes City staff have become too biased against him to arbitrate his complaints.

And he wants the City to come up with an independent review process to sift through the accusations and counter-accusations and make a judgement on whether his concerns about various issues are valid.

Some councillors suggested that the complaints process, which has largely consisted of staff responding to individual concerns expressed by ratepayers, become more formalized.

It might finally be time for a municipal ombudsman in the City, suggested Mayor Hazel McCallion.

"I think we should look at the (complaints) process," she told councillors last week. "An ombudsman might be the way to go at the end of the day."

Ward 11 councillor George Carlson told The News that using an ombudsman could ultimately save the municipality money in arbitration and mediation fees. But he added that formal complaints such as Barber's, "aren't something that come up that often."

City spokesperson Catherine Monast said, "what we are looking for is transparency."

As for Barber, he says he's not holding his breath in anticipation of a fair hearing.

If he doesn't get an answer he considers satisfactory, which is highly unlikely in his opinion, he'll likely take his case to the provincial ombudsman.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Placemark this page and what George Carlson said about But he added that formal complaints such as Barber's, "aren't something that come up that often." First it's because Mississauga doesn't HAVE a formal complaints process.

Just think about this for one moment. If, let's just say IF, there were a city that had something to hide, ask yourself how it would respond to a formal complaint such as Barber's.

I challenge people, you know, to just ponder the ever-so-remote possibility that Barber might have a legitimate complaint? I mean Mississauga has had no complaints procedure since 1974 now.

But I bet everyone thought that something Trust, Quality and Excellence-y was in place all along, no?

And all other Ontario municipalities are the same way. No complaints procedure required by the Province.

And now we're to trust them to hire their own "investigator"?

Check out the Royson James May 3, 2008 column, "Watchdog initiative mustn't fail"

This part:

"Bellamy recommended council set up an ombudsman to look into public complaints against councillors; an integrity commissioner to monitor and rule on the conduct of councillors; a lobbyist registry to show clearly who is hustling councillors for city business contracts and a registrar to oversee it; an auditor general to follow the money and to pinpoint savings.

The auditor general was already in place and is doing the best work of the bunch. The lobbyist registry has been plagued with start-up problems while the job search for the ombudsman begins next week. And the integrity commissioner has had mixed results."

See that "mixed results" regarding Toronto's integrity commissioner? The people most screwed by "mixed results" can't afford lawyers.

Trust Ontario Municipalities to hire their own investigators?!

WHAT? And continue to bend over?

Like I've said for-forever. Evil.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

There was no sighting of the muse at Council on Aug 6.

Barber show up with his camera, but did not video tap.

There is a push by a few councilors to cut down on the time the public has to said to council. Hazel smack them down on this and said the public has the right to speak since we are well paid for doing this.

First thing council needs to understand, English is not the first language of the speaker as well standing before council is intimidating in the first place. The public are not professional who can talk a quick talk. I know what it was like the first time and do get intimidated at times today.

Before council start imposing time limit, they better get their staff and other presenter on the short leash. I have seen these people spend a whole hour or more and it was boring and had nothing to do/provide info to council on the subject in the first place.

If I spoke more than 2 minutes on the shuttle bus on the 6th, it was too long, but well under my 5 minute standard I set for myself. Someone follow me who has spoken more time than I have as well longer before council over the years that took close to 30 minutes.

Something cannot be said in 5 or 10 minutes.

Council ended up spending close to 30 minutes dealing with my 2 minute comments.

I do believe the public should do their homework on the matter as well offer solutions to deal with the matter and not just complain.

We haven't heard from Muse for a while. I suspect Mississauga's "Dear Leader" has managed to silence her somehow.

coree-nord-kim-hyong-jik-militaryme.jpg

Back