News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The curse of Hurontario?

After the Kelsey's at Hurontario and Bristol closed, a sign went up that announced the opening of a new Japanese restaurant. As of last week, it had been about 4 or 5 months and still no signs of life.

Meanwhile, the plaza that was built a block south at Hurontario and Glenn Hawthorne has only had one tenant since it opened over a year ago. There has been a sign on the door of another unit announcing some place that will serve pizza and ice cream but it never materialized and most of the plaza remains empty.

I didn't even know that Kelsey's closed! But compare that to the plaza by my house, at Creditview & Britannia. In the past couple months both CIBC and Rogers left (CIBC for Heartland, Rogers I dunno I guess they're just cutting slow stores).

The old Spence Diamonds location has since been leased...
20100718043.jpg

It's looks like the Streetsville Burrito Boyz location will be opening shortly
20100718025.jpg

20100718027.jpg

New retail at Winston Churchill and Thoma: Rexall, bistro NARRA, Panaro Pizza, etc
20100718012.jpg

20100718017.jpg

Speaking of Burrito Boyz, when did the Cooksville location open and which store did it replace in the strip mall?

Poor Erin Mills has lost another tenant. Jacob closed up shop this week. Not that I care, but it's left a pretty large space unoccupied. This after Espirt closed down before Christmas, and Roots moved upstairs. A lot of vacancies in the mall now.

Poor Erin Mills has lost another tenant. Jacob closed up shop this week. Not that I care, but it's left a pretty large space unoccupied. This after Espirt closed down before Christmas, and Roots moved upstairs. A lot of vacancies in the mall now.

I wonder if Erin Mills is destined to become the Woodbine Centre of the 905? They were both built within a few years of each other too.

I thought the exact same thing. However, I'm not so sure it will, due to the wealthier customers that surround that area, plus all the customers from Meadowvale area that go there instead of Square One. I think it will be fine, but I think maybe the mall is a bit too large for the customer base.

I think Erin Mill's major problem isn't Square One, although Square One is obviously the #1 retail destination in Mississauga, but Heartland. Heartland has stopped Erin Mills from becoming a real "destination" mall. Whether CadFair can attract any high quality tenants to Erin Mills remains to be seen. Personally I'm surprised to see Swarovski there, and BCBG opening soon. Rumours say Erin Mills is trying to get Mexx and Aritzia, but I don't know how much help that'll do.

Erin Mills suffers from a poor layout, and hasn't been expanded in years. They need to do something to bring people back.

That said, I don't think you can count Erin Mills out just yet. It's Mississauga's second major enclosed mall. Surely Mississauga can support a second mall?

It's showing its age too much. It still looks like an 80s postmodern pile worthy of a Brat Pack film. It's long overdue for a makeover--perhaps the removal of the castle and clock tower kitsch.

I've said it before--it hasn't been the same since the clock went silent and the mini-golf range was removed.

After the Kelsey's at Hurontario and Bristol closed, a sign went up that announced the opening of a new Japanese restaurant. As of last week, it had been about 4 or 5 months and still no signs of life.

The new Japanese restaurant finally opened yesterday. It's Tako Sushi. They have one other location on Don Mills, a little north of Lawrence.

Has anyone been to this place yet?

http://www.viadujourcaffe.com/index.php

Opinions?

I finally had a chance to visit this week and I was pleasantly surprised. The decor is a mix of Demetre and Timothy's and the menu was actually pretty varied for such a small place. Besides the usual coffee and pastry selection, there were smoothies (with a decent number of options), gelato, crepes (both dinner and dessert), sandwiches and a small breakfast menu that is served all day.

I'll reserve judgement until it's completed, but so far, I feel underwhelmed.

Back