News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Where ever this is built, it should be walking distance from the LRT and BRT lines.

I agree. Being transit-oriented is key to its success, and to avoid a sea of parking around it. I'm really hoping they find a way to make it work in the Mississauga City Centre.

There were plans to construct a cricket stadium in Mississauga as well.

There were some legal troubles with the owner, and thus I think that proposal is dead in the water. Also I found it questionable what teams they would play, as there is no major established cricket league in Canada/USA. I think a stadium for a Canadian Premier League team is a better bet.

i think this should be built in the existing parking lot between the terminal, duke of york, sq1 and rathburn. The space is just large enough and is near transit and i think the main entrance of a small soccer stadium would look sick on a roundabout corner like sheridan college has today

i think this should be built in the existing parking lot between the terminal, duke of york, sq1 and rathburn. The space is just large enough and is near transit and i think the main entrance of a small soccer stadium would look sick on a roundabout corner like sheridan college has today

That sounds like it would look quite good. Another good couple of spots would be the CIBC block on Hurontario, or the one surrounded by Centre View, Station Gate, Duke of York and Rathburn. Although I'd personally like to see new office towers on the CIBC block instead of a stadium.

OK....before we get too excited...this is a feasibility study....unless the conclusion is already known i think it is premature to be debating where "it should be built"....the terms of reference seem to be heavily weighted to "if it should be built" then a discussion about potential locations.

The SG pushing this is fan based, encouraged by the league (as they have done in each of the 7 places they have announced teams so far)....and it seems the league has approached the city. I have met the president of this league a few times. 2 things I know about him is that he is a very passionate guy about Canadian soccer and he loves to talk to people.....so I would be shocked if he ever met a mayor or civic politician and didn't say "we would love to have a team in your city some day"......so without knowing any more about how or when the league approached the city it is impossible to know how far along they are. One thing that is for sure, in every other city that the league has announced (including York Region) the Canadian soccer rumour mill/twittersphere had the names of the potential ownership out there for months before the team became "official" in this case we have a league, a city and a SG but not one real rumour about ownership (the kit design was, as the SG themselves admitted at the time, just them plucking the name of two development companies that are active in 'sauga and plunking their names on the shirts).

So take it with a grain of salt.....if you are a soccer fan in Mississauga it is something to be excited about but very early days .....if you are taxpayer in Mississauga but not a soccer fan be concerned that this thing may take on a momentum of its own and the cart may lead the horse......but it is all very early stuff (the study is not due back until 2019 around the time the league plans to kick off its first season).

A good location (and honestly, a better location for the Hershey Centre as well in comparison with its isolated location off Matheson Boulevard) would be Highway 401/Hurontario area - there are some restaurants at the Courtneypark Drive cinema area, you'll have the LRT connection, as well as Highway 401 access and exposure.

I don't think a soccer stadium that will take up a lot of land and sit empty most of the time should be in the MCC area. The more-industrial area to the north has decent transit connections and the highway exposure/parking lands needed.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the leauge that is the catalyst for this is targetting average crowds of 5- 7k per match....so that stolen rendering earlier in the thread is not what they want/need.

Outside of Ottawa/Winnipeg/Hamilton (who are all becoming 2nd tenants in the CFL stadiums in those cities) the league is looking at far more modest facilities than what people seem to be dreaming of in Mississauga.

Here is Halifax:

upload_2018-7-5_12-18-32.png

if the can move a Hydro pole (no kidding it seemingly is gonna cost $3MM) at Westhills stadium will be expanded to this in suburban Victoria

upload_2018-7-5_12-21-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-5_12-18-32.png
    upload_2018-7-5_12-18-32.png
    621.1 KB · Views: 855
  • upload_2018-7-5_12-21-3.png
    upload_2018-7-5_12-21-3.png
    829.8 KB · Views: 905
Another thing to keep in mind, is that the leauge that is the catalyst for this is targetting average crowds of 5- 7k per match....so that stolen rendering earlier in the thread is not what they want/need.

Outside of Ottawa/Winnipeg/Hamilton (who are all becoming 2nd tenants in the CFL stadiums in those cities) the league is looking at far more modest facilities than what people seem to be dreaming of in Mississauga.

Here is Halifax:

View attachment 149039

if the can move a Hydro pole (no kidding it seemingly is gonna cost $3MM) at Westhills stadium will be expanded to this in suburban Victoria

View attachment 149040

Very good points. For a direct comparison to York 9 FC, they are gunning for a 15,000 person stadium using modular wood construction. Very cool stuff. I’d say in the 10-15k range for Mississauga is reasonable, but wouldn’t fill up immediately and leave room to grow.

Thread for York 9 FC’s stadium here.

Very good points. For a direct comparison to York 9 FC, they are gunning for a 15,000 person stadium using modular wood construction. Very cool stuff. I’d say in the 10-15k range for Mississauga is reasonable, but wouldn’t fill up immediately and leave room to grow.

Gee the size of Mississauga and population deserve a venue bigger than the 10-15k, why not go with the 20k modular system?
remember these BEAR systems could also be used for other events, ...concerts, rugby, cricket, lacrosse etc.

What we know thus far about York9 is that it was the first of the clubs to be officially announced and start selling "memberships" (essentially place holders for season tickets) and is, by far, the club that has sold the fewest memberships. You can find my previous comments in various places on the wisdom of CPL teams in the GTA....just let's say this comes as no surprise to me (at last count after, what, 6 weeks they have have sold ~200 memberships).

I really don't have an opinion on whether York9 should or will build a 15k seat stadium......by all accounts they will be building it with their own money on private land....so go get 'em is all I can say.

Mississauga seems to be going down the path of a publicly owned, built and payed for stadium.....and if I was a taxpayer in Mississauga I'd be very concerned about building a stadium anywhere close to that size with public money (not sure I would support any stadium of any size but I do not see a 15k stadium being needed). I am not a taxpayer in Mississauga so my opinion does not matter....but if I was ;)

There were some legal troubles with the owner, and thus I think that proposal is dead in the water. Also I found it questionable what teams they would play, as there is no major established cricket league in Canada/USA. I think a stadium for a Canadian Premier League team is a better bet.
Mississauga was not one of the municipalities that guy was talking to.

^do you think the people who own that land have interest in building/owning/operating a soccer stadium?

Back