News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

CN Tower

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
While it should come as no surprise to anyone, I thought it worth repeating an anecdotal example of the sort of disingenuous games perpetrated by the unscrupulous TREB.

A property that I've been loosely following (location withheld) was listed for sale originally as far back as the summer of 2009, possibly earlier. Needless to say it did not sell. It was on and off the market since then and has recently reappeared on MLS at a significantly lower amount than the summer 2009 asking price and naturally as a 'NEW LISTING!'. Should this property happen to sell now at full asking price say within the next 30 days I am certain that the TREB will report it sold in 30 days at 100% of asking price and that data will get recorded in their system.

While I'm sure that process conforms to their industry practice I find it disgustingly self-serving, intentionally obfuscating and unethical. That's your TREB folks. Enjoy it!

oh that happens all the time.
it allows TREB/realtors to claim the lower Days on the Market (DOM) when in reality it could have been there for over 1+ years as in your example, and being sold at a higher % to the list price even though there could have been xx% price reduction, etc

the Globe and Mail in their Done Deals Real Estate section seems to be a hot bed for that too.
they list a property that was sold, some as old as 9 months ago in last weeks edition !

It's too bad listings aren't counted as new unless there's a new seller. Surely, TREB has this information - they just don't want to report it.

I'm not a computer techie, but cross-referencing this information from a new listing to an old one may be technically difficult. I would only say, if you are interested in a particular property, get the entire history of its listings. This is available from the MLS system, going back a number of years.

As for the G&M, "Done Deals" is just for general interest. If you don't have access to the MLS system, a good guide sometimes is just to look at the picture. If the picture shows green lawns and leafy trees, in January, that might give you some indication of the timing! :) Don't take it too seriously, although I agree that they might do well to add the date of sale to their descriptions.

I am not a computer techy but I can tell you, there is nothing simpler then to keep tracking history of any address in database.Thing is
TREB will run out of ways of how to trick public that everything is dendy-brendy in RE.

Back