News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How are you planning to vote?

• Total voters
Only if the party gets the votes. If people don't like the list candidates, they won't vote for them.

Most people don't know or care who the actual candidates are unless they're star candidates or in the cabinet. A good number of people are introduced to the names of the candidates when they mark their ballot and forget them immediately afterward...they vote for the party.

People can learn about their local candidates, go to all-candidates debates, read the local media. There's no way for people to learn all about 117 anonymous candidates from across the province on the major parties' lists, not to mention the minor parties.

Exactly...god knows how far into the depths of nepotism, cronyism, and several other -isms they'll go to fill their quota of bonus seat candidates.

People can learn about their local candidates, go to all-candidates debates, read the local media. There's no way for people to learn all about 117 anonymous candidates from across the province on the major parties' lists, not to mention the minor parties.

Apparently province-wide media, that can act as a whistle blower, does not exist in the alternate Canadian universe. How much of a problem has this been in countries using MMP is, of course, the key question. And how much of it is just 'fishing' for theoretical flaws.

Noticing that candidates can win even within their local ridings without cracking anywhere near majority, however, is not a theoretical flaw, as it happens all of the time.

Apparently province-wide media, that can act as a whistle blower, does not exist in the alternate Canadian universe. How much of a problem has this been in countries using MMP is, of course, the key question. And how much of it is just 'fishing' for theoretical flaws.

It's not a theoretical flaw. It's the fact that there's no way that even a politically-involved person could learn the biographies of 117 candidates. Sure the provincial media will call out any criminals or people like that, but there's no way to accurately discern their political beliefs.

Yes, it is a fact. Generally, less than 20% of the electorate claims to vote for their candidate as opposed to the party. What does this tell us? People generally vote for parties, and few vote for candidates.

So some voters vote for a party exclusive of the candidate. Other voters will vote for a candidate and the party. Still, others will vote against something that annoys them, or they will vote against a party that they support as a form of protest. Whatever the reason, MMP does not make for more informed voters. No system can pretend to do that. As I asked earlier, does voting for a party exclusive of the candidate mean that a voter automatically knows the party platform or where it stands on specific issues?

How is it 'even more controlling?' What is this great difference in nominating candidates on a per riding level and doing a province-wide nomination? How does this radically change anything?

As I stated earlier, MMP amplifies the centrality of the parties.

I actually do not have a problem with the present system because of this. Party discipline is problematic, but weak party discipline drastically increases the power of lobby groups, which are generally completely unaccountable to the electorate.

See cacruden's comment.

An assumption. In what way could they further reduce the influence of local ridings (as if there was any real influence at the moment) and has this been borne out in countries utilising MMP? The only reduction in influence would be the slight increase in the size of local ridings; on the other hand, people can vote for their local candidate even if they prefer another party.

A slight increase in the size of local ridings, and a reduction in their overall numbers. Don't think that all MPP's are team players. While some will have the opportunity to be at large (beholden to only the party), others will have to face the music of the people who voted for them directly - and can easily vote against them. That should make for different perspectives. Internal politics could easily emerge between those who must answer to a constituency and those answering only to the party insiders.

And stop with the other countries. We aren't them, they are not us, and Ontario is not a country. Canada's issue with proportional representation can be answered by way of Senate reform. The wraggling to do that ought to be real fun.

Indeed, you have a vote, I have a vote. But if the candidate in my riding doesn't win--even if they got 33% vs. your 34%--my vote is worth 0%, and the 34% of your vote is worth 100%. And of course, this result creates completely phony majorities in parliament in which the party that the minority voted calls the shots as if they received majority vote. I'm still boggled that someone would consider this preferable to MMP which by and large eliminates these flaws.

Voting is not synonymous with democracy, but it's obviously an important component of one. Arguing that, hey, this isn't all that important anyway is a confession that our system is far from the best.

I don't think handing off more power to the political parties makes for better democracy - and that's really what this version of MMP is all about - handing off more power to political parties.

I don't see the so-called phony majorities as failures in government. Most people don't understand how government works, and so assume that the appearance of MPP's - and their numbers - is all there is to governing, policy development, the formulation of legislation and the passage of bills. It ain't. That being said, we are being asked if we want to weigh our voting ever more towards the whims of political parties - not exactly outstanding exhibitors of democracy - because people tend to vote for parties rather than people.

The reason why you are boggled, salvius, is because you assume that the only way to go is this version of MMP. Let me state clearly: I am not opposed to electoral reform, I am opposed to this version of electoral reform. I didn't pick it, some unelected group did. They recommended it, not me. I did not like it from the get-go. So now I dissent and will vote against it because I think it's a bad idea for all the reasons that I have outlined earlier. I'll live with FPTP for now, with all its flaws. I know how it works.

MMP doesn't amplify the power of the parties. If anything it reduces the power of the biggest party to something closer to what the people actually voted for.

MMP doesn't amplify the power of the parties.

You can say that, but it obviously does. You're now voting for the party instead of the person. It's the party that has the mandate, and the party leadership that gets to choose exactly who sits in the house. That means a lot more power to the parties, and the highest echelons of their leadership.

I'll be voting for it. It's certainly not perfect, but it's a definite improvement on the current system.

The only way to punish just one or two list members who are behaving badly is to vote against the whole party that you support, and instead vote for a party that you don't agree with. That doesn't sound more democratic than the current system, where you can join the party and remove the candidate.

Yes, MMP may not be entirely democratic, but what can you say about the current system (below)?

Indeed, you have a vote, I have a vote. But if the candidate in my riding doesn't win--even if they got 33% vs. your 34%--my vote is worth 0%, and the 34% of your vote is worth 100%. And of course, this result creates completely phony majorities in parliament in which the party that the minority voted calls the shots as if they received majority vote. I'm still boggled that someone would consider this preferable to MMP which by and large eliminates these flaws.

What can I say? Well, I guess I'd just say that there will be other MPPs from other ridings who will represent your party if you vote, say, PC in a downtown Toronto riding. They'll represent you about as closely as a province-wide MPP elected proportionally. I'm definitely not at all saying that the current system is perfect. I definitely see big pluses to a new system and lots of people who I respect are supporting it. It's just that I can't vote for the system as proposed because I think that it will increase the power of unaccountable, unelected party leadership and it has too low a minimum level to get into the legislature at 3%.

I'd personally prefer (and vote for without hesitation) a preferential balloting system.

Went off to the advance poll (to beat the rush that probably will never materialize), and gave my two cents.

If we are going to play with the electoral system, we can do much better than this suggestion.

I'm voting against MMP. The last thing we need is a few single seat parties forcing otherwise unwanted compromises on the government. Sure, on a good day it might be the Green Party forcing McGuinty to close those power plants like he promised. But on a bad day, it might be the Family Coalition Party holding the balance, and forcing unwanted policies.

I don't like the idea of majority governments winning only 37% of the the total vote, but, if we want proportional rep, the break-in point should be 10% of the total popular vote, with at least 20% in one or two ridings. Keep the crackpots from all extremes and sides out of the process.

Back