News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

alright then ... I think there's some closure on the building name topic ... I guess it could have just been quick typing :)

Artist's rendering
monsheong01.jpg

Actual

I'm disappointed that they didn't maintain the brick work all the way to the top floor for the central portion for more of a street presence.

on this note ... I agree with you cdr108, the brick extension would've added much more 'perceived height' on the building ... plus I would have liked it more had they built the corner round balcony as shown in the rendering (instead of having a column in the smack middle now)

One of the reasons why the builder / Mon Sheong Foundation chose not to continue the brick to the top is a economic one. The builder layers will have to stay around until all the concrete floor slabs are up in order to finish all the brick work. That means, Mon Sheong Foundation will have to pay the brick layers during those time frame. The current design will allow the brick layers to leave the site much earlier, allowing the charity foundation to save a lot of money. This is my guess...

alright then ... I think there's some closure on the building name topic ... I guess it could have just been quick typing :)

on this note ... I agree with you cdr108, the brick extension would've added much more 'perceived height' on the building ... plus I would have liked it more had they built the corner round balcony as shown in the rendering (instead of having a column in the smack middle now)

One of the reasons why the builder / Mon Sheong Foundation chose not to continue the brick to the top is a economic one. The builder layers will have to stay around until all the concrete floor slabs are up in order to finish all the brick work. That means, Mon Sheong Foundation will have to pay the brick layers during those time frame. The current design will allow the brick layers to leave the site much earlier, allowing the charity foundation to save a lot of money. This is my guess...

The reason is definitely economic, and is common with any project. It's the dreaded Cheapening and it's very apparent.

Also, most projects today use precast brick cladding, and therefore don't require bricklaying.

"The Canada I live in is English and French. You don't have to agree with me on that, but that's how I feel."

I really don't want to belabour this name issue, but I can't let this comment go without reminding everyone that the name CANADA is not English or French! Neither is the name TORONTO, for that matter. If you disapprove of Mon Sheong Court taking its name from the non-English, non-French language of local residents, then perhaps you might want to petition to have Toronto changed back to York.

"The Canada I live in is English and French. You don't have to agree with me on that, but that's how I feel."

I really don't want to belabour this name issue, but I can't let this comment go without reminding everyone that the name CANADA is not English or French! Neither is the name TORONTO, for that matter. If you disapprove of Mon Sheong Court taking its name from the non-English, non-French language of local residents, then perhaps you might want to petition to have Toronto changed back to York.

Actually, my birth certificate says I was born in York.

I'm not going to discuss the way I feel anymore regarding this issue. This topic has gone way off topic. If you want to discuss the way I feel regarding language issues in Canada, feel free to send me a PM.

Back