8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hitachi & Mitsubishi in talks over Chennai Monorail project

By Jagdish-Kumar · August 9, 2011 · Light Rail, Rail News
HitachiMonorailVantey.jpg

Currently, Hitachi is operating six monorail systems in Japan, running 306 cars. Photo: Vantey.
Japanese infrastructure companies Hitachi and Mitsubishi are in talks over the Chennai Monorail project.
Tamil Nadu has invited tenders in developing monorail in Chennai that covers a distance of 300 km.
In the 2005-06 budget the estimated cost of the project was Rs 5,086.85 crore.
The representatives of both firms said monorail was feasible in Chennai as it was simple in terms of construction and would ease traffic congestion.
Recently, Scomi Group Bhd, a Malaysian based firm, also submitted its proposal to take part in the proposed monorail project in Chennai to the government.
Yoshitaka Hirabaya, Global Rail Business Development Division General Manager of Hitachi said:
“Currently, we are in talks with the Delhi and Mumbai authorities for providing monorail technology.
“We have already supplied technology to the Taegu monorail in Korea, Chingqing monorail in China, Palm monorail in Dubai and Sentosa monorail in Singapore.
“We have more than five decades of experience in monorail. We are supported by Mitsubishi Corporation, (Japan) who will fund the project. We offer the technology and they provide the funding,” he added.
The proposed monorail will carry 62,400 people per hour per direction, similar to the current Metro Rail system.
In the first phase of construction, 111 km would be covered, and a phased construction would cover the whole of the 300 km route.
Monorail is flexible and the rehabilitation of project affected people is small as it does not interfere with existing buildings and properties.
In a bid to avoid land acquisition, minister of transportation instructed Hitachi officials to develop high capacity transit system in air.
The Chennai Monorail project will have 18 corridors which are aimed to be completed within 18 months after awarding the contracts.
After completion, it will be biggest monorail project in the world.
http://www.rail.co/2011/08/09/hitac...ium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+Railco+(rail.co)

Fantastic!
I knew there was talk of a huge new system in Chennai but didn't know how it was progressing. Thanks for the info.

We are supported by Mitsubishi Corporation, (Japan) who will fund the project. We offer the technology and they provide the funding,†he added.
It works internationally, why not here? Maybe we need to have Hitachi and Mitsubishi pay a visit to explain how private funding can build and operate this sort of infrastructure. I'm sure Canadian companies like SNC and Bombardier could team up to build just about anything Torontonians could ever want in a transit system.

Especially Bombardier which is Canada's darling when it comes to infastructure, Toronto's defacto only rail supplier, and probably has the best monorail trains/systems in the world as the trains are very light and require very slender support polls.

Don't count on it......that would require an open mind and bold vision and eventhough Toronto is a relatively young city it has turned old before her time.

Nah, can't be. ssiguy2 actually has knowledge of what is going on outside of Toronto. If it's beyond Mississauga, Doug Ford isn't interested. Them world newses is for learnded peoples.

I just caught Doug Ford on CP24, what a joke this administration is. (including Stephen LeDrew who asks no critical questions and just loves the Fords)

(and i'm paraphrasing): The monorail will head east from Union Station to Skydome, make a stop at the new 100' ferris wheel, and then pass through the new grand hotel which developers have been begging to throw money at the City to build - 10s, no wait 100s of billions of dollars.

I'll try to find a link to this "interview", but I wonder if Doug knows that Skydome is west of Union Station and that his monorail will never be built

I just caught Doug Ford on CP24, what a joke this administration is. (including Stephen LeDrew who asks no critical questions and just loves the Fords)

(and i'm paraphrasing): The monorail will head east from Union Station to Skydome, make a stop at the new 100' ferris wheel, and then pass through the new grand hotel which developers have been begging to throw money at the City to build - 10s, no wait 100s of billions of dollars.

I'll try to find a link to this "interview", but I wonder if Doug knows that Skydome is west of Union Station and that his monorail will never be built

Considering Skydome err... Rogers Centre is WEST of Union Station that should tell you enough you need to know about the twin Fords' grand waterfront vision.
As far as getting private money from developers... that certainly worked out great for their Sheppard Subway vision didn't it?!

Maybe his vision is a little too Disney like in thinking (sorry for the pun...), but if executed properly it could be a way for us to get our much needed DRL. I've longed for a monorail solution for our DRL along Queen because of its reduced construction costs and smaller footprint, but it could work with Waterfront Toronto as well.

East from Union, it could provide service to the various new commercial and residential properties in the Port Lands, then bend north to connect with Pape Station. It could then extend north to the Ontario Science Centre, the Eglinton subway, Shops at Don Mills, Fairview Mall, and then bend northeast to the new Downtown Markham. West from Union, it could hit numerous attractions like the Rogers Centre/CN Tower, Ontario Place/Exhibition grounds, Sunnyside Beach, and High Park before bending north to Dundas West station. It could then extend along the GO and AirRail link to the airport providing more local service to the latter two's express designs.

Nah, can't be. ssiguy2 actually has knowledge of what is going on outside of Toronto. If it's beyond Mississauga, Doug Ford isn't interested. Them world newses is for learnded peoples.

"It's pronounced 'lernd', Pepsi. 'Lernd'."

Say what you will about the Fords, but leave Stephen LeDrew alone. I'm tired of having to play this card with people who make fun of Stevie, but he's a brave little guy, and the network is a brave little network. Sure, most of their hosts are b-grade at best, but to have devoted such time and energy to a show hosted by a guy with Down Syndrome is really a brave act. I mean, week after week, the funny little guy with the tell-tale facial expression and speech pattern, limited vocabulary and adorable bowtie trots out and makes noises that purport to be about politics, and he gets the guests and everyone else to play along. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

Some people will say, "Hold on! I think you're jumping the gun with LeDrew. It may be unusual for a TV show to star a person with an IQ less than his age, but 'Downies' on TV aren't exactly unheard of. There's that chick from 'Glee', the mom from 'Prison Break', the dude in the Wayne Gretzky commercial from back in the day. Hell, 'Life Goes On' was an hour per week on US network TV."

All of which is true, but entirely misses the point. The "Glee" and "Prison Break" roles aren't very significant, and let's face it -- those actors appear to have only slight Down Syndrome symptoms compared to LeDrew. I'll admit that 'Life Goes On' was brave for its time. But I would hasten to add that (1) it got cancelled and, (2) let's face it, Corky was typecast: he was a guy with Down Syndrome playing...errrr...a guy with Down Syndrome. Not much of a stretch, is it?

LeDrew, on the other hand, is truly groundbreaking in that he's a guy with apparently severe Down Syndrome playing the part of a political pundit in a purportedly "non-fiction" TV show. I've always wondered if the whole setup is like that movie The Truman Show. Does Little Stevie know that the whole thing is a bit of a circus, or does he actually think he's discussing politics and policy? And don't get me started about the ethics of his manager. I mean, how appalling is it that Little Stevie (to the exclusion of all of the "20 chromosomers" surrounding him) was "responsible" for the following fiascos: the Liberal Party's downfall , his own mayoral candidacy, his failure to pay taxes, his personal bankruptcy. At what point does the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee step in and say "enough is enough, stop exploiting this brave little guy"?

Anyway, Stephen LeDrew's triumph over adversity is both brave and heartwarming, and I won't tolerate people calling him a "joke". He has probably acheived more than most "normal" people ever will. Please take the high road here and don't make fun of a person because he happens to have been born with an extra chromosome.

Last edited:
Maybe his vision is a little too Disney like in thinking (sorry for the pun...), but if executed properly it could be a way for us to get our much needed DRL. I've longed for a monorail solution for our DRL along Queen because of its reduced construction costs and smaller footprint, but it could work with Waterfront Toronto as well.

East from Union, it could provide service to the various new commercial and residential properties in the Port Lands, then bend north to connect with Pape Station. It could then extend north to the Ontario Science Centre, the Eglinton subway, Shops at Don Mills, Fairview Mall, and then bend northeast to the new Downtown Markham. West from Union, it could hit numerous attractions like the Rogers Centre/CN Tower, Ontario Place/Exhibition grounds, Sunnyside Beach, and High Park before bending north to Dundas West station. It could then extend along the GO and AirRail link to the airport providing more local service to the latter two's express designs.

I completely DISagree with your downtown idea. Monorail could work well as a DRL using the current rail ROW but not down Queen or King or any heavy pedestrian friendly roadway. If under those roads they should be tunneled. A better idea would be to elevate the lane but down Richmond/Adelaide as they are more car-ways than vibrant streetscapes. Monorails can also be very effective at making use of alleyways. Many people don't realize how slender the new supports for the new Bombardier Innovia Monorail trains are.....they re the most slender of all the "heavy monorail" systems out there. That is essential for Toronto as we all know the TTC only has one, despite the public relations excercise of a bidding process, supplier.

I completely DISagree with your downtown idea. Monorail could work well as a DRL using the current rail ROW but not down Queen or King or any heavy pedestrian friendly roadway. If under those roads they should be tunneled. A better idea would be to elevate the lane but down Richmond/Adelaide as they are more car-ways than vibrant streetscapes. Monorails can also be very effective at making use of alleyways. Many people don't realize how slender the new supports for the new Bombardier Innovia Monorail trains are.....they re the most slender of all the "heavy monorail" systems out there. That is essential for Toronto as we all know the TTC only has one, despite the public relations excercise of a bidding process, supplier.

Do you have pictures of stations where you need 500 feet of columns to support the track, platform, and access infrastructure?

Back