News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Did the scrapping of the last monorail have anything to do with the crash?

Yes, after the second accident in 1994, which was far more serious, the AGT system never reopened. A train lost power near the top of the climb out of the Canadian Domain, and rolled backward into a train at the station at the bottom. It should be noted that the accident was partially attributed due to lack of training of the operator of what to do in an emergency, not exclusively the mechanical failure from improper maintenance. You can read more about it here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 806
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 870
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 830
Last edited by a moderator:
re: the Zoo

I wonder how much attention/attendance the new aquarium sucked from the Zoo - probably the same market segment, plus locational advantages (right by Union, plenty of other attractions around, etc).

I think Toronto need to stop expecting that these types of attractions can be done on the cheap and done well.

AoD

There are a bunch of things to consider;

• The long-term master plan of the Zoo does have the Canadian Domain section closing. Re-opening a train along the existing route makes an assumption that the Canadian Domain would remain open, which would require a lot of back-tracking by the Zoo. They've already started moving animals out of there.
  • There is no cost to the Zoo for the system to build; the system partners are fully funding it as they are looking for a test bed to premiere the technology. The Zoo and the consortium split the profits 50/50 during this period.
  • After 5 years, the entire system is turned over to the Zoo, and the Zoo would contract maintenance out to Magnovate (or remove it, if they didn't like it).
I do think the technology feels a bit vapourware (there are too many maglev concepts out there; everybody thinks they can do it), but there are 4 huge names behind the Magnovate name, so I'm very cautiously optimistic this might move ahead. I'll be very curious to hear the outcome of Thursday's meeting.

The Zoo will also be accepting tenders from other vendors during the next few months for alternate systems, although I think this is purely just for show. Obviously nobody else is going to offer to build a system for free, unless they can find another company looking for a "test track" to showcase their technology.

These types of scenarios are usually a hard sell. Orlando just declined a fully-funded maglev line by American Maglev, who have been looking for years for a launch customer. They were going to fully fund the line and everything - but Orlando decided not to accept the offer, on the grounds of risk. At the zoo, this risk doesn't really exist - worst case, they'll have a half-completed system sitting there... but the existing, unused guideway is already sitting there, dormant.

It is interesting that Lockheed Martin and Magna are part of the Magnovate consortium, which means that very likely would it consist of high quality parts.

...speaking of maglev, I'm at the Yamanashi maglev test centre right now, and just saw a train blow by at 504 km/h!

...speaking of maglev, I'm at the Yamanashi maglev test centre right now, and just saw a train blow by at 504 km/h!
Did the train create a vapour cone as it broke the sound barrier?

800px-FA-18_going_transonic.JPG

This jet broke the sound barrier, creating a vapour cone

The speed of sound is around 1,200 km/h - a fair bit faster still than the Yamanashi Maglev.

It would have been interesting if Magnovate managed to manufacture a maglev capable of breaking the sound barrier.

Did the scrapping of the last monorail have anything to do with the crash?

Kind of, lack of maintenance didn't help and the fact that the system (that wasn't a monorail) was not only one of of kind, but the company who built it when out of business by 1983, being taken over by Honeywell who isn't in the transit business. So by 1994, replacement parts where hard to come by.

I do remember reading in a few places that they did try to bring the system back into services as late as 1996 with the remaining cars, but still suffered braking problems during test runs and the it was decided to simply scrap the line and opt for something cheaper and readily available technology (aka The Zoomobile)

Thanks for the little bit of history, CodeMonkey!

If the Zoo accepts a new (maglev) "monorail", better make sure to get a good lawyer (but not Mr. Lionel Hutz). It would be a fun system to ride, but what if it goes out of business like the old one did? Lockheed Martin has lots of money, so hopefully this is good, but likewise, you don't want to be hamstrung by super-expensive maintenance of a highly experimental system that can't economically stand on its own legs. Perhaps an option to exercise a free system removal after the experiment? In case the system is so problematic and the Zoo didn't like the system for whatever reason.

Thanks for the little bit of history, CodeMonkey!

If the Zoo accepts a new (maglev) "monorail", better make sure to get a good lawyer. It would be a fun system to ride, but what if it goes out of business like the old one did? Lockheed Martin has lots of money, so hopefully this is good, but likewise, you don't want to be hamstrung by super-expensive maintenance of a highly experimental system that can't economically stand on its own legs. Perhaps an option to exercise a free system removal after the experiment? In case the system is so problematic and the Zoo didn't like the system for whatever reason.

I don't think it's a big issue - as I said, the existing system is just (mostly) sitting there rotting anyway, so what difference does it make of some additional hardware is also sitting there on top of the guideway rotting?

I still think it's awfully vapourware, but we'll see. I'll keep an eye out for any updates after the meeting today. (Er, tomorrow for you)

I guess this fits in this thread!

Toronto Zoo might get s new Monorail

Project Documents:

Official Proposal - Magnovate

Zoo Staff Report on Proposal

The City and Zoo will review the proposal on Thursday and report back in the summer.

TL;DR: A consortium of system partners (Stantec, Lockheed Martin, PCL and Magna) have offered to build a demonstration maglev line on top of the existing Bendix-Dashveyor AGT ("monorail") guideway at the Zoo. They would pay for it entirely so the zoo gets a free train. Stantec has already been on site to evaluate the guideway and have said its in excellent condition.

To me, this is a no brainer, even though it doesn't entirely align with the zoo's current master plan, which is ramping down operations in the Canadian Domain section of the park.

Whoa, this came out of the blue. And here I thought Toronto couldn't fit any more transit plans on its plate. This should be an interesting project to follow, and I'll fully support it. Nothing wrong with a little experimentation. And it seems pretty clear to me that the Zoo needs to have some kind of railed system in place to be considered world class.

Back