News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

In one of the original designs for the light rail line, they proposed cutting the southern half of René-Lévesque boulevard and converting it to green space, bike lanes and the light rail. The provincial transportation ministry opposed it because of the significance of the boulevard for car traffic.

And for your information, there is a bikeway along almost the entire route of the REM B already.
In downtown core, there is only 1 substantial east-west fully protected bike lane I'm aware of, and that is on Maisonneuve (I'm excluding the one in old port because 1) it's not fully protected 2) it's out of the way for most cyclists who are commuting from downtown to home).

I'm sure Montreal could use another fully protected east-west bike path downtown, and RL could be the ideal place to do that if we can fit it above or under an REM line like the Berlin U1 propoasal:
1614353200783.png

In downtown core, there is only 1 substantial east-west fully protected bike lane I'm aware of, and that is on Maisonneuve (I'm excluding the one in old port because 1) it's not fully protected 2) it's out of the way for most cyclists who are commuting from downtown to home).

I'm sure Montreal could use another fully protected east-west bike path downtown, and RL could be the ideal place to do that if we can fit it above or under an REM line like the Berlin U1 propoasal:
Yes, that's right. There is only De Maisonneuve right now that provides a protected east-west bike ride across downtown right now. The bike path on René-Lévesque ends at Berri street. There are two current projects for east-west paths downtown:

1. The REV (Réseau Express Vélo/Express Bike Network) along Saint-Jacques/Saint-Antoine/Viger streets
2. An extension of the René-Lévesque bikeway past Berri all the way to Guy street, where they are currently building a new north-south link.

The René-Lévesque path continues east on Notre-Dame along what will become the REM B right of way.

The two architecture firms hired by CDPQ to design the REM2 decided to quit, to dissociate themselves from the inevitable ugliness of the elevated section on R-L. 😨

This is misleading, its more like "they don't want to take the risk of doing something which will possibly be quite controversial", back to designing 2 tone condo towers and SAQ frontages it is.

Same issue with the Ontario Line. Not releasing any sort of preliminary render just allows opponents of elevated transit to create their own depictions, which are always the most monstrously ugly thing they can think of.

I don't really trust North American transit agencies to get renders right tbh . . .

Yes, that's right. There is only De Maisonneuve right now that provides a protected east-west bike ride across downtown right now. The bike path on René-Lévesque ends at Berri street. There are two current projects for east-west paths downtown:

1. The REV (Réseau Express Vélo/Express Bike Network) along Saint-Jacques/Saint-Antoine/Viger streets
2. An extension of the René-Lévesque bikeway past Berri all the way to Guy street, where they are currently building a new north-south link.

The René-Lévesque path continues east on Notre-Dame along what will become the REM B right of way.
You mean the current bike path on RL? Yes, it's alright but could certainly use a revamp, especially when we have 7 lanes dedicated only to auto-traffic on RL at the moment.

And IMHO, it'd certainly be an improvement over today if we could fit a protected REV lane under the future elevated REM-B on RL, if we can make the structure attractive enough like what they are doing in Berlin. It could serve dual purpose - upper level is REM-B, lower level is protected REV lane instead of some half-*** painted lane with plastic bollards.

You mean the current bike path on RL? Yes, it's alright but could certainly use a revamp, especially when we have 7 lanes dedicated only to auto-traffic on RL at the moment.

And IMHO, it'd certainly be an improvement over today if we could fit a protected REV lane under the future elevated REM-B on RL, if we can make the structure attractive enough like what they are doing in Berlin. It could serve dual purpose - upper level is REM-B, lower level is protected REV lane instead of some half-*** painted lane with plastic bollards.
There definitely is room for improvement on the RL bike path. When REM B was first announced I actually thought it would be a great idea to close off the southern half of RB and make it a greenway/bike path/REM aerial line. The problem with an aerial structure is west of Saint-Denis, where the street narrows and things are much more dense. Add to that the fact that it stops at Robert-Bourassa as a stub end, it's not very optimal... A hybrid solution could be better!

Interesting paradox. On the one hand you have urbanites looking to lynch CDPQ for REM-B for "destroying" their downtown. And then on the other end you have suburbanites saying there isn't enough REM in their neighborhood and they want more.

Decisions decisions.
Even within suburbia there is disagreement, with Boucherville saying they don't want REM because it would generate too much development and Sainte-Julie actively campaigning for a stop.

Even within suburbia there is disagreement, with Boucherville saying they don't want REM because it would generate too much development and Sainte-Julie actively campaigning for a stop.
This is why as part of good project management practice you need 1) someone/team who can call the final shots based on available data 2) an executive sponsor who will stick to the end regardless the ifs and buts. At the end of the day, nothing we build is ever going to make everyone 100% happy.

This is why as part of good project management practice you need 1) someone/team who can call the final shots based on available data 2) an executive sponsor who will stick to the end regardless the ifs and buts. At the end of the day, nothing we build is ever going to make everyone 100% happy.
Hence why CDPQi can be the bad cop and doesn't care.

Back