39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

New shots for the Gare Centrale REM

1676612196484.png

1676612205122.png

1676612213109.png

1676612221834.png

A couple days ago on Radio-Canada's Tout le monde en parle, an interviewed official stated that there is no foreseen reason why the REM wouldn't launch this Spring, and that it would open on a Friday. I guess there could still be unforeseen issues!
Anyway, the last Friday of Spring, 2023 is Friday, June 16.

Ah, I see;

I missed the Friday.

I wouldn't put much stock in that. Unless that's just the ribbon cutting.
Isn't a ribbon-cutting usually held on the same day that a new metro line goes into service?

Here is one of Canada's more recent openings, the Evergreen extension on the Vancouver Millennium line:
(Ribbon-cutting and start of service to the public on the same day.)

Edit: here's the TYSSE:
(Ribbon cutting Friday, start of service Sunday. You're right on this one!)

Isn't a ribbon-cutting usually held on the same day that a new metro line goes into service?
In particular I was thinking about the TYSSE (TTC is really stuck on their Sunday service changes these days) and the Elizabeth Line in London where the official opening of the main tunnel section by the Queen was on May 17, 2022 while limited service didn't begin until May 24, 2022.

Those the only two entirely new line openings I've been following lately.

When the metro opened in Laval it was inaugurated on a Friday and it was free all weekend. Maybe they'll do something similar? My boyfriend and I already decided to go to the Cineplex by du Quartier station on the opening weekend.

When the metro opened in Laval it was inaugurated on a Friday and it was free all weekend. Maybe they'll do something similar? My boyfriend and I already decided to go to the Cineplex by du Quartier station on the opening weekend.
I bet you're right. There will probably be an opening weekend of festivities.

Until then, here's a recent test video, running across the Champlain bridge:

Reactions: Xav
From Freakie07 on agoramtl: The REM won't have the métro's classic sounds. Instead it will have these three:

In Montreal for a few days this week and work took me up and traversing the 40, where the entire REM line is elevated and looks good doing so. But is it Kirkland Station that looks like it’s about five stories above ground? And why so much elevation? That is a Toronto Island Airport escalator ride in height!

Back