News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It wasn't planned as the same technology when it was first announced back in 2020 - we discussed the technology in this thread back then. During the technical briefing CDPQ was clear that the technology had not been selected, but that they were planning on the vehicles for L'Est would be only 40 metres long, and there'd be no physical connections between the two system.

See the 2020 article from Global that discussed the technical briefing - https://globalnews.ca/news/7522892/montreal-rem-extension/
I think this qualifies as "technically correct". The amount of differences that would've been seen between the two systems in practice is the equivalent of splitting hairs.

In practice, the only thing that really would've been different is maybe the signalling, rolling stock manufacturer, and maybe the power requiments. Its still would've been within the same ballpark as the original REM, that being a fully automated light metro with off the shelf vehicles and systems. Saying that REM de L'Est was planned with different technologies, is like saying Sydney Metro West uses a different technology from the OG Sydney Metro, or that the Finch West LRT is using a different technology from the Eglinton Crosstown.

I think this qualifies as "technically correct". The amount of differences that would've been seen between the two systems in practice is the equivalent of splitting hairs.

In practice, the only thing that really would've been different is maybe the signalling, rolling stock manufacturer, and maybe the power requiments.
So pretty much everything. 🤣

Why are we even bringing up or looking at 70 year old 6 track mainline railway viaducts in Tokyo or the horrible decrepit crumbling steel viaducts of the Chicago L? These are not relevant to discussion of the REM on Rene-Levesque.

Here are some more relevant comparisons to make for elevated viaducts in dense areas:

In Vancouver, we have these:

Richmond, No. 3 Rd
- Runs beside the road, both sides flanked by dense residential and commercial development. ROW width at about 35m, which is actually much narrower than Rene-Levesque which is ~45m, but roadway width is similar to that proposed by CDPQ (4-5 lanes)
1688352955082.png

Brentwood Town Centre:
- Median running but on a road of the same ROW width as Rene-Levesque, at 45m. Actual roadway here is 6-7 lanes, CDPQ had proposed 4-5 lanes for Rene-Levesque so there would be more space for pedestrians/cyclists on RL. Again, also flanked by dense development.
1688352850303.png

And probably the best example, Beatrixlaan in The Hague:
- Side of road, similar to REM Est proposal
- 4-5 lane road with bidirectional cycle track, again very similar to REM Est proposal
- Surrounded by dense development in the center of The Hague

And yes, this viaduct has the striking architectural features, but to be fair the CDPQ proposal was not a plain concrete viaduct either - it had a curved bottom with split pillars - certainly still much more thought (and money) put into aesthetics compared to the standard Vancouver Skytrain viaducts.
1688351910680.png

But anyway, this whole discussion is also kind of moot because most of the NIMBYism was not even from downtown but from further east along Rue Sherbrooke and Rue Notre Dame, in places that look like the pictures below. Having to bury the line in downtown probably would not have completely killed the project (after all REM A had similarly complex works in downtown), but having to bury the line out here was what really killed the project.

1688353781430.png

1688354514876.png

1688353886660.png

Why are we even bringing up or looking at 70 year old 6 track mainline railway viaducts in Tokyo or the horrible decrepit crumbling steel viaducts of the Chicago L? These are not relevant to discussion of the REM on Rene-Levesque.

Because other posters specifically raised Tokyo and Singapore as favourable examples. I put Chicago forward simply to provide a North American offering other than Vancouver. Choice in that regard is sparse.

Here are some more relevant comparisons to make for elevated viaducts in dense areas:

In Vancouver, we have these:

Richmond, No. 3 Rd
- Runs beside the road, both sides flanked by dense residential and commercial development. ROW width at about 35m, which is actually much narrower than Rene-Levesque which is ~45m, but roadway width is similar to that proposed by CDPQ (4-5 lanes)
View attachment 489541

Right, so at least six lanes of traffic, not a vibrant high street, no heritage to speak of..........

Brentwood Town Centre:
- Median running but on a road of the same ROW width as Rene-Levesque, at 45m. Actual roadway here is 6-7 lanes, CDPQ had proposed 4-5 lanes for Rene-Levesque so there would be more space for pedestrians/cyclists on RL. Again, also flanked by dense development.
View attachment 489540

See comment above, this is not a heritage high street, this is 8 lanes of traffic plus the median.

While the guideway is not particularly problematic in either example above, this is only because the entire roadscape is both overly wide and ugly to start.

Neither of these pictures appeal to me in the least as a place I would want to walk, bike, shop, work or live.

And probably the best example, Beatrixlaan in The Hague:
- Side of road, similar to REM Est proposal
- 4-5 lane road with bidirectional cycle track, again very similar to REM Est proposal
- Surrounded by dense development in the center of The Hague

And yes, this viaduct has the striking architectural features, but to be fair the CDPQ proposal was not a plain concrete viaduct either - it had a curved bottom with split pillars - certainly still much more thought (and money) put into aesthetics compared to the standard Vancouver Skytrain viaducts.
View attachment 489539
This is one of the nicest examples you'll find, but also not a historical downtown type area. Truthfully, for all the artfulness of the Guideway, I think this picture lacks much charm.

But anyway, this whole discussion is also kind of moot because most of the NIMBYism was not even from downtown but from further east along Rue Sherbrooke and Rue Notre Dame, in places that look like the pictures below. Having to bury the line in downtown probably would not have completely killed the project (after all REM A had similarly complex works in downtown), but having to bury the line out here was what really killed the project.

Which is what I advocated for.........and my argument is that NIMBY'ism won here because of the overreach w/the downtown segment and insufficient understanding of the need to mitigate and sell the project.

You need social license and it wasn't forthcoming here.

The above is arguably as a good a spot to go elevated as you'll find (though pretty darn good for shallow cut and cover too) .

I'd be fine w/it here, on the understanding that this stretch of road is not now walkable (actually lacks sidewalks); but would also never become that pedestrian paradise (which is fine, not everywhere will be).

The above here is actually more problematic. First, look at how narrow he sidewalks are now. That would never pass muster w/today's guidelines. No cycling facilities, if you remove the middle 2 lanes for a guideway, and then the outer 2 lanes for adequate sidewalks and cycle tracks, you're down to one lane each way. On a road with lots of curb cuts and driveways too.

I'm very pro transit and building it cost effectively, but this looks challenging to create a reasonable outcome.

If one were to dead set on going elevated, I wonder why you wouldn't just follow the current/former CN Souligny ROW all the way? I know the initial modified CDPQ proposal included a short portion.

But it runs pretty much parallel to Rue Sherbrooke the whole way, just ~500m over.

To me, this looks a lot more logical that running over road:

1688391703816.png

Because other posters specifically raised Tokyo and Singapore as favourable examples. I put Chicago forward simply to provide a North American offering other than Vancouver. Choice in that regard is sparse.

Right, so at least six lanes of traffic, not a vibrant high street, no heritage to speak of..........
Rene Levesque is six lanes of traffic plus parking, it's really a downtown stroad. Not really a "vibrant high street".

Picking and choosing ancient examples isn't helping your case.
See comment above, this is not a heritage high street, this is 8 lanes of traffic plus the median.

While the guideway is not particularly problematic in either example above, this is only because the entire roadscape is both overly wide and ugly to start.

Neither of these pictures appeal to me in the least as a place I would want to walk, bike, shop, work or live.

This is one of the nicest examples you'll find, but also not a historical downtown type area. Truthfully, for all the artfulness of the Guideway, I think this picture lacks much charm.
This argument is based on a false understanding of what Rene Levesque Boulevard is ... it's an oversized stroad through the heart of Montreal. The REM project included a road diet, turning it into a four lane road. But I guess the six lanes + parking is preferable to an extra transit line. 🤷‍♂️
Which is what I advocated for.........and my argument is that NIMBY'ism won here because of the overreach w/the downtown segment and insufficient understanding of the need to mitigate and sell the project.

You need social license and it wasn't forthcoming here.
If you need "social license" to get around NIMBYs, you are never going to build any transit for any sort of reasonable price again.
[snip]

The above here is actually more problematic. First, look at how narrow he sidewalks are now. That would never pass muster w/today's guidelines. No cycling facilities, if you remove the middle 2 lanes for a guideway, and then the outer 2 lanes for adequate sidewalks and cycle tracks, you're down to one lane each way. On a road with lots of curb cuts and driveways too.

I'm very pro transit and building it cost effectively, but this looks challenging to create a reasonable outcome.

If one were to dead set on going elevated, I wonder why you wouldn't just follow the current/former CN Souligny ROW all the way? I know the initial modified CDPQ proposal included a short portion.

But it runs pretty much parallel to Rue Sherbrooke the whole way, just ~500m over.

To me, this looks a lot more logical that running over road:

View attachment 489572
The road is where people want to go. Putting things in railway corridors because you don't want to look at a train ("a train, ew!") is a great way to reduce ridership without actually getting anything intangible in return.

I'm going to start by saying I'm getting extremely angry and successive posters who clearly don't read what I wrote and chirp rudely at me making points that make absolutely no sense based on what I wrote.

Please stop.

Read what I wrote carefully, then comment, not before.

You're usually a very reasonable poster, but you're completely, offensively, unreasonable here, misrepresenting what I posted entirely.

Rene Levesque is six lanes of traffic plus parking, it's really a downtown stroad. Not really a "vibrant high street".

I know that, that's exactly what I said, your response implies I said the opposite which simply isn't true.

Picking and choosing ancient examples isn't helping your case.

I didn't choose the examples, I replied to @sche 's post, those are his examples.

This argument is based on a false understanding of what Rene Levesque Boulevard is ... it's an oversized stroad through the heart of Montreal. The REM project included a road diet, turning it into a four lane road. But I guess the six lanes + parking is preferable to an extra transit line. 🤷‍♂️

Not what I said at all.

If you need "social license" to get around NIMBYs, you are never going to build any transit for any sort of reasonable price again.

I explained at length up thread the consequence of pushing things through w/o a reasonable measure of social license and cited multiple examples. The reality is you kill the very idea your promoting for decades and generally see the idea reversed out at considerable cost down the road.

Its self-defeating.

That doesn't mean don't do it, it means do it right, and sell it right. I have provided clear indications on how to do just that.

The road is where people want to go. Putting things in railway corridors because you don't want to look at a train ("a train, ew!") is a great way to reduce ridership without actually getting anything intangible in return.

A road with virtually nothing on it is where people want to go?

The argument for REM d'Est or its successor project is one of East Montrealers commuting to the City centre for the most part.

I didn't suggest moving the corridor the other side of the island, just a mere 500M away. Not because I oppose going over the road, but rather because its just an easier take.

Its very straight, it would provide the same commuting value, and if you really want to get over to Sherbrooke, its a whopping 500M away, walking distance, but there would also be bus connections if desired.

Completely agree with Northern Light, that CDPQ didn't do it's due diligence with stakeholders. Locals, politicians and organizations almost immediately sank the project.

Lessons had not been learnt with the implementation with the REM, especially with the ARTM (and how this will affect its future), as well as politicians not being lobbied/informed already. CAQ were not a driver at all for this project, and it was very telling.

While the designs were later beautified, the fact is they weren't interested at first in mitigating concerns that were inevitably going to come from residents.

My question is could they have not done a staggered build with this? We're seeing this happening with the REMs staggered opening already, and this could have built goodwill.

Completely agree with Northern Light, that CDPQ didn't do it's due diligence with stakeholders. Locals, politicians and organizations almost immediately sank the project.

Lessons had not been learnt with the implementation with the REM, especially with the ARTM (and how this will affect its future), as well as politicians not being lobbied/informed already. CAQ were not a driver at all for this project, and it was very telling.

While the designs were later beautified, the fact is they weren't interested at first in mitigating concerns that were inevitably going to come from residents.

My question is could they have not done a staggered build with this? We're seeing this happening with the REMs staggered opening already, and this could have built goodwill.
Realistically I think the only path forward now would be a single project encompassing CDPQs above ground eastern element and an entirely underground central link and extension to Lachine so it also amounts to the west end of the Pink Line. Stage the opening as needed, preserve the metro interchanges CDPQ wanted to cancel and effectively say CDPQ is handling the outer sections and the government the central tunnel.

Methinks this could fly politically if it had the right advocate, but almost anything else is basically dead in the water.

The ARTM released their report on REM de L'Est, and oh boy is it hilarious: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...SE_Rapport_VersionDefinitive_30-juin-2023.pdf

Reece did a whole breakdown on how insane many of the conceptual renders are but I will post some highlights:
F0M5XnRXoAE5eTK.png

Why are the stations and the guideway so tall? You don't need this much height.

1688496012743.png

These station designs are way more complex than they have any need to be.

1688496084108.png

I swear they chose the ugliest viaduct design they could, and plastered it all over. Had it not been for the catenary poles, this would look like they just literally built a fully covered concrete tube and elevated it. This makes Saporro, and the Moscow Red Line extension blush.

Best for Last of course:
F0M6EITWwAE_ix5

What in God's name is going on here? If I'm reading this correctly this is supposed to be a portal where it goes from underground to above ground, but did they have to paint this using the most dishonest guideway design they could possibly find?

All in all this reminds me a lot of when the Eglinton West was a city led project, and how they desperately tried to make Elevated look as bad as possible by making some of the most ridiculous guideway/station designs:
DOm0EOwXcAElklx.png

The government already said that it costs too much, and critics are already out there. I've yet to see someone who's for this project besides the "experts" that wrote the report. No project until 2036 if it would be approved in the next months, and transport minister already said that they'll review the report later this year, so not going to happen.

Cancelling the REM de l'Est was a big big mistake for the city.

This project seems destined to sink without a trace. The report essentially concludes that elevated infrastructure isn't harmonious so it has to be dismissed, even in a low-rise area with lots of space to build it. So the recommendation is a subway costing over 20 billion to move a total of 20K passengers during the morning rush, with a maximum load per hour of well under 5K on the busiest section. In other words, it's Eglinton West but lots more of it.

Legault is furious, to paraphrase he said to bury really places that it would be messy, not the whole line.

What a pic of Legault they selected! LOL

1688584458903.png

Source: https://images.radio-canada.ca/q_au...ancois-legault-premier-ministre-limousine.JPG

The Route Maps published in the piece:

1688584764012.png

I concur w/ @p_xavier 's assessment.

The Premier is not only giving a 'not on' signal.......he's also expressing clear irritation that the recommendations are outside of the scope/mandate given to the committee.

Back