News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Really embarrassing for Metrolinx and Toronto in general how Montreal can make a decision on routes and technology in 1 year and Toronto is still studying it 4 years after the fact.
One year? For the LRT to Point-Aux-Trembles?

Why do people always ignore the previous 30-40 years? Wasn't that particular LRT called Line 8 by the MUC 35-years ago?

Not one inch of any of these proposed 7 Metro/LRT projects on the Island have been built since they were proposed in 1981 to 1984! Hmm, what was Line 9? (Line 3 was the central portion of the REM west of Central station).

(though it does show Cote-Vertu station as still under construction, which opened in 1986 - and presumably everyone understood the Blue line that had started construction in 1975 and was completed in 1988 was still under construction - the first station opened in 1986)

Last edited:
Cool! What street (or is it the 25) does that tramway run up that hits the end of the Blue line?

Is that a tramway coming off of Longueuil? Is that already approved?

Gosh, still no love for anything for that area west of Decarie, east of Dorval, past Angrinon, etc. Hard to see how even frequencies on the CP line are going to improve, with the REM having a station at Dorval and that spur along the 40.
It's in the 25 area more to Radisson station alignment.

Yellow line extension and Longueuil streetcar are officially under study by the ARTM. It was announced a few weeks back that the government gave funding.

The Montreal mayor said that it was unbelievable that the ARTM is not studying the REM lines and demands that it must. Less government the better IMO.

Work on the Édouard-Montpetit station progressing nicely. This will become the 2nd deepest metro station to be built in North America, at 70 meters (20 floor condo) below surface level. Right now it's 30-35 m down, with another 40 meters to go. It will be connected to the Metro Blue Line via 4 high-speed elevators capable of carrying 5000 users per hour. One of the coolest stations in the future REM/Metro network IMHO.

20190402_EMP_Grue.jpg

The tenders for the engineering and ridership studies for the REM extensions were out a day after the announcement. Tenders to be given July 31st. Just to say that if it would have been in the public (i.e. ARTM), it would have taken at least 6 months just to get approval to give out the tenders due to the different governance.

Work on the Édouard-Montpetit station progressing nicely. This will become the 2nd deepest metro station to be built in North America, at 70 meters (20 floor condo) below surface level. Right now it's 30-35 m down, with another 40 meters to go. It will be connected to the Metro Blue Line via 4 high-speed elevators capable of carrying 5000 users per hour. One of the coolest stations in the future REM/Metro network IMHO.

Very cool. Is the metro station able to remain open throughout construction of the REM station?

Very cool. Is the metro station able to remain open throughout construction of the REM station?
It has so far ... I don't see why that would change when you look at the plans of where each platform is to be.

In other news, I was at Vendome the other day, and they've closed and started to dig up the bus loop - I assume that means the works for the new elevator and accessible access to the hospital facility next to the station have begun.

It has so far ... I don't see why that would change when you look at the plans of where each platform is to be.

In other news, I was at Vendome the other day, and they've closed and started to dig up the bus loop - I assume that means the works for the new elevator and accessible access to the hospital facility next to the station have begun.
More than begun, the actual precast tunnel was put in recently. https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/crucial...ction-of-110-million-vendome-tunnel-1.4387990

Ah good news. It was absolutely disgraceful that they spent a billion plus on a massive new hospital that literally backs onto the Vendome commuter train station (with Vendome Metro also backing onto the train station - all that separates the two is the railway tracks) without an accessible entrance! Looks like the accessible entrance will open 5 years after the hospital opened, a decade after construction started, and almost a quarter-century after planning began.

I'd suggest that they put those in charge of construction of the hospital project in jail - but I think they have already been prosecuted. Only in Quebec ...

Ah good news. It was absolutely disgraceful that they spent a billion plus on a massive new hospital that literally backs onto the Vendome commuter train station (with Vendome Metro also backing onto the train station - all that separates the two is the railway tracks) without an accessible entrance! Looks like the accessible entrance will open 5 years after the hospital opened, a decade after construction started, and almost a quarter-century after planning began.

I'd suggest that they put those in charge of construction of the hospital project in jail - but I think they have already been prosecuted. Only in Quebec ...
The main crook had left Quebec with the fraud money and died out of the country. At least these things are caught in the province. I've yet to see other provinces tackle corruption (hmmm, real estate).

The main crook had left Quebec with the fraud money and died out of the country. At least these things are caught in the province. I've yet to see other provinces tackle corruption (hmmm, real estate).
I hardly think the wide-scale corruption in the Quebec construction industry was the result of one man. I've also not observed any other province with anything like that level of corruption in large-scale public works ... something we've been hearing about in Quebec since the 1960s. Oh, I"m sure there's someone buying off an inspector here and there - but the extent of it in Quebec has been shocking - despite decades of rumours and media revelations.

Perhaps things are caught now - but with a 50-year history of extreme construction in the industry - I wouldn't be too quick to assume that there's still a huge potential for corruption in Quebec. Part of the reason that SNC-Lavalin should be dismantled in my opinion!

I'm still seeing a lot of denial.

I hardly think the wide-scale corruption in the Quebec construction industry was the result of one man. I've also not observed any other province with anything like that level of corruption in large-scale public works ... something we've been hearing about in Quebec since the 1960s. Oh, I"m sure there's someone buying off an inspector here and there - but the extent of it in Quebec has been shocking - despite decades of rumours and media revelations.

Perhaps things are caught now - but with a 50-year history of extreme construction in the industry - I wouldn't be too quick to assume that there's still a huge potential for corruption in Quebec. Part of the reason that SNC-Lavalin should be dismantled in my opinion!

I'm still seeing a lot of denial.
Again, you can't find something you're not looking for. How much high construction prices are being accepted at face value in Toronto because it's a world class cityTM. I don't know if it's corruption or incompetence, probably a combination of both.

Again, you can't find something you're not looking for.
I work in the industry - we were all aware just how corrupt the construction industry was in Quebec ... and has been since at least the 1960s. I'm not sure why you are trying to gloss over the massive corruption in that city ... my gosh how many Mayors have been identified - as far back as Drapeau? How many MNAs? Even reaching into the Premier's office and multiple political parties.

To try and compare the very backwards and systemically corrupt situation in Montreal to Toronto seems quite a reach! If there are large issues in Toronto, I'd be looking for it in waste management, not massive construction. That being said - things might be worsening in Toronto ... I am concerned of the contacts and associations of the new Premier ... but I haven't seen that slip into contract awards yet.

Again, you can't find something you're not looking for. How much high construction prices are being accepted at face value in Toronto because it's a world class cityTM. I don't know if it's corruption or incompetence, probably a combination of both.
I work in the industry - we were all aware just how corrupt the construction industry was in Quebec ... and has been since at least the 1960s. I'm not sure why you are trying to gloss over the massive corruption in that city ... my gosh how many Mayors have been identified - as far back as Drapeau? How many MNAs? Even reaching into the Premier's office and multiple political parties.

To try and compare the very backwards and systemically corrupt situation in Montreal to Toronto seems quite a reach! If there are large issues in Toronto, I'd be looking for it in waste management, not massive construction. That being said - things might be worsening in Toronto ... I am concerned of the contacts and associations of the new Premier ... but I haven't seen that slip into contract awards yet.

Let's get back to discussing how Montréal will have by far the largest RT system in Canada in 3 years. McGill Interchange Station excavation below. Exciting stuff.

Credit: Megafolie via mtlurb.com

Let's get back to discussing how Montréal will have by far the largest RT system in Canada in 3 years. McGill Interchange Station excavation below.
By far the largest? Currently they have 64 stations in Montreal and 4 more in surrounding regions. Once the new light rail in Montreal opens in 4 years, there'll be 8 new stops in Montreal on the Deux-Montagnes branch, 2 on the South-shore Branch, 2 on the Airport branch, and 4 on the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue branch along with 3 outside of Montreal on the south shore and 4 on Laval and the north shore. That brings the total number to 80 in Montreal and 11 more in surrounding areas, bringing the total to 91.

Toronto currently has 73 in the city and 2 north of the city. In 2 years another 21 open on Line 5 (all in the city) and in 2023 Line 6 opens with 17 additional stops (all in the city) bringing the total to 111 in the city and a total of 113. Meanwhile, outside the city, the Hurontario light rail is currently scheduled to open in 2022 (though will surely slip still) with another 19 stops. Subway expansions in the 2020s on Line 1 and the Ontario Line could add another 16 stations based on current plans.

Montreal may have more kilometres of track, because of the very long distance between stations - but with fewer new stops, I don't think you can say "by far the largest" RT system with only 80 planned by 2023 compared to 111 in Toronto. And only 91 planned including nearby communities compared to 131 in/around Toronto.

There's also the 33 stops on the light rail in Hamilton and Kitchener - though that's probably unfair to include, as they won't be connected by every-15 minute commuter rail service to the rest of the region for many years, unlike Hurontario.

And of course all that ignores that GO is moving to every 15-minute RER service on parts of at least 5 lines, with Lakeshore East already running every 15 minutes for part of the day, and Lakeshore West currently on a (bizarre) 15-15-30 schedule. I'm not aware of where RTM's plans to increase Exo service are at ... if anything I'd think service will be decreasing with plans to close 1 of the current 6 lines, and shorten a second.

Back