News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I just think REM East should come out of the south portal of Garre Centrale with the same track as the current REM and just follow the rail line along the shore. Would require it to be the same tech as the current REM however, but I dont see that being a huge issue.

View attachment 379544

I find the elevated section between two existing metro lines redundant. Above showing the route along the existing ROW, but also dotted line for potential tunnelled shortcut under the existing Central Station as a potential alternative. More expensive but could then operate as its own line and not take such a circuitous route to Central Station, and not compete for platform space at the station (would have its own station platforms tunnelled under the existing station)
From what I recall (and it's been a few years since I lived in Montreal) the rail line along the shore runs at street level directly through the old port, a major tourist area with a ton of foot traffic. It would be difficult to grade separate it as an REM line without tunneling.

For what purpose? The most recent Origin-Destination report shows that eastern areas of the island need more transit toward central areas, not the south shore.

Also, if CDPQi isn't interested in funding an underground tunnel downtown, I doubt that they would be open to the idea of funding a crossing of the river.
Yes, it is a virtually unused single track freight track that is between the Old Port itself and all the "stuff' north of it". Hardly a place for a busy (or even not busy) REM.

From what I recall (and it's been a few years since I lived in Montreal) the rail line along the shore runs at street level directly through the old port, a major tourist area with a ton of foot traffic. It would be difficult to grade separate it as an REM line without tunneling.
1645900747437.png

Attachments

• 1645900619299.png
    1645900619299.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 62

Blue line to be extended by 5 stops, with slight modifications. They will cut the number of secondary entrances, elevators and escalators, use a tunnel-boring machine for construction. The bigger change is the terminal station, which will be located under A-25 and have entrances on both sides of the highway. Now projected to be in service in 2029.

Blue line to be extended by 5 stops, with slight modifications. They will cut the number of secondary entrances, elevators and escalators, use a tunnel-boring machine for construction. The bigger change is the terminal station, which will be located under A-25 and have entrances on both sides of the highway. Now projected to be in service in 2029.
Hard to believe the extension will ever open, logical connection to REM-B or not.

Hard to believe the extension will ever open, logical connection to REM-B or not.
The article goes on to note that this was the 5th time since the late 1980s that politicians have announced this. Though there were two different versions of the eastern Blue line extension shown on the maps inside the metro trains in the early 1980s - so perhaps they are missing some previous announcements.

On the bright side, it looks like they are incorporating new technology!
Rouleau said the Quebec government has given the STM the authorization to use a tunnel boring machine, a massive device used to excavate tunnels underground. According to the STM, a TBM digs twice as fast as traditional methods, such as blasting or drilling with a cutter.

Back