News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Definitely agree that Longueuil will happen first now... What I'm holding out for, and honestly think probably makes the most sense unless someone really has the appetite to go to war with NIMBYs is to bring CDPQ back on board, do elevated on the Metro connector version while treating the downtown connection, through routed out to Lachine, as a wholly public but underground project.

Well with the PM saying - Valérie, it's about time. Jean-Marc will make you a beautiful project - in front of everyone last Friday, basically it's hinting you have the REM de l'Est or nothing. That's what most people think. I believe we will see the line in Longueuil before the REM de l'Est. At least waiting for a non-woke mayor for Montréal.

The planned route for LÉEO was this one. I expect the REM to follow a similar route.View attachment 497742
Given the one thing Plante and Rob Ford have/had in common is wanting transit to be built underground where it doesn't need to be, does this mean Rob Ford would have been "woke"? ;)

But in all seriousness, what on earth does "wokeness" have to do with the REM changes beyond a need to insert the political buzzword of the moment?

No new transit without woke. If one isn't woke about the issue of the need for more transit, then why would one build it.

Kwabena Oduro (CBC) made this video: Your REM questions answered, where at 1:35mins he says this:
The Griffintown station is a bit of a complicated one, because of the density of the area, and everything that has already been built, it’s making it more complicated to get a station actually in place. So REM officials say that 2027 is their target date for that Griffintown station.

I don’t buy this for a minute what he’s talking about. The site has already been selected. Proof:

65202b5fc9491709bcad50ee7908cac122b8dd5a_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

2027 would be a pathetic joke for this infill station. @mashdash on AgoraMtl may beg to differ with Mr. Oduro.

Last edited:
Given the one thing Plante and Rob Ford have/had in common is wanting transit to be built underground where it doesn't need to be, does this mean Rob Ford would have been "woke"? ;)

But in all seriousness, what on earth does "wokeness" have to do with the REM changes beyond a need to insert the political buzzword of the moment?
In this case "Woke" is likely a synonym for Orange Pilled, a european style urbanist (similar to NJB) who believes that elevated transit shouldn't exist, and that trams should be the priority mode. There is a lot of overlap between the two groups so I wouldn't say the terminology is completely out of place.

In this case "Woke" is likely a synonym for Orange Pilled, a european style urbanist (similar to NJB) who believes that elevated transit shouldn't exist, and that trams should be the priority mode. There is a lot of overlap between the two groups so I wouldn't say the terminology is completely out of place.
We really need to stop using the same language for so many things. "Anti-elevated transit" should not share a common terminology with "believes gay people should exist". And let's be real, the main use of "woke" in current North American politics is not about urbanism, it's about racial and LGBT issues.

Like as a gay man, am I "woke" for thinking I deserve to exist and should have rights? or am I "anti-woke" because I think elevated transit is good? This is how incredibly stupid this is!

Last edited:
Google Maps and other transit apps now show REM in transit directions! It's a little disappointing that they didn't have this ready on launch day but being ready for week 2 is not too bad. From what I've heard, it was REM who failed to share their schedules with the data providers in time for launch. Even Montreal's official transit app Chrono was missing the REM data!

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 11.38.52 AM.png

LOL.

I agree that I think the word is stupid, but that's not what the word means. In its original form, it represents a broad political idea that believes in the idea that western society has fundamental problems surrounding various issues (both social and economical), and that the issues need to be tackled head on - often via more extreme measures. No, believing that x people should exist does not make one "woke".

Its a discussion that has a lot of nuances behind it, but I don't think this is the place to have that discussion.
Seriously dude, stop digging the hole deeper.

I would say having the Eastern REM travel between the Green and Blue lines (like the Pink line was supposed to) is probably better then the CDPQs plan, but the most recent plan with no downtown connection is insane.

I agree, it's insane and leaves the inner-west neighbourhoods without rapid transit. With the transfer of the project to the CAQ, I am not surprised about this at all though.

Google Maps and other transit apps now show REM in transit directions! It's a little disappointing that they didn't have this ready on launch day but being ready for week 2 is not too bad. From what I've heard, it was REM who failed to share their schedules with the data providers in time for launch. Even Montreal's official transit app Chrono was missing the REM data!

View attachment 498010
Apple Maps had it day one and it is much more useful for transit than Google Maps IMO.

Arson attack at future "Canora" REM station:

Apple Maps had the REM's green line on the transit overlay but even it did not include the REM in directions until yesterday. It was a data provider error.
Probably, cause I had planned a trip last week and it showed in my trip planning. Should have taking a screenshot. A few years back I had contacted the STM, was missing a station for data errors also. Was surprised that no one contacted them before, the station was missing for months... they got back to me rapidly though.

Today, I just wanted to showcase a truly beautiful soul. @mashdash is a graphic designer who has been making up for the ARTM’s and REM’s shortcomings, by installing official-looking signage himself, on his own dime (~ $30).

Gare Centrale (vicinity):
6f5185b5c3edac7c5884ba2188105d45b9f2e3de_2_880x660.jpeg

7ddddf6196e0ad1b30e358a6299ac962b054f161_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

8ca2ba82c9bd75f5531974a91a4fe00d6282f11e_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

Panama:
282ab423d2bdc1df5c8992703eed5e5d742fe95a_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

The stash of high-quality decals:
f2ec2059ecf2d7cda0e481cb11c4e63e9f427804_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

They’re so official looking that they haven’t been removed… What a Saint!!

Back