News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

^ I really hope I didn’t get @mashdash in trouble with my post… This was posted afterwards:
So I got word that the REM is a bit upset with the signs I’ve added. They’re saying it “affects their reputation,” which is honestly very strange.

I understand being bothered by those paper signs someone put up, but mine are literally just mimicking the ARTM signage exactly, in places where people can see them. They can also be easily removed if the REM really wanted to, although I’m not sure why they’d want to. People are genuinely lost with the confusing hallways, so having some signage of some kind is way better than nothing.

Additionally, from what I heard, because they opened the REM before the 30 day warning, the ARTM wasn’t ready to install signage. So what’s the issue with my signs? They’re easy to remove if they wanted, and should be replaced with real signs, mine are meant to be temporary. And in the meantime, they follow the ARTM standard, and give “business” to the REM essentially.
Then this reply by @Enalung:
I can definitely see a few issues with your signage. Somebody somewhere failed to consider that signage would be needed. Since you’ve been adding signage, the ARTM and CDPQ-I look bad for their lack of forethought. Somebody somewhere probably got a stern talking to and now feels humiliated. There’s also the fact that you plastered them on walls that belong to private entities.

Let’s not forget the fact that with a few hours work and very little material, you did a job that probably would have costed tens of thousands of dollars with planning, graphic design, consulting fees, the salary of the guy applying the sticker, the contractor watching the guy applying the sticker, the safety and security officer, and the guy standing there doing nothing, plus overtime pay because it has to happen at night while the network is closed for maintenance.
^ I really hope I didn’t get @mashdash in trouble with my post.
I'd think it wouldn't be anything more complex than it being seen as vandalism. And that effort is necessary to go around all the stations and find/remove them all.

Presumably there's cameras there's they'll use to identify the person behind it and ban them or something.

^ His only crime is making the ARTM/CDPQ-I look bad by their inaction..

Technically vandalism yes, but I’m sure he’d be happy to help them sort out the signage mess, and he’s placed everything correctly, and well qualified.

Again, a beautiful soul at work!

Today, I just wanted to showcase a truly beautiful soul. @mashdash is a graphic designer who has been making up for the ARTM’s and REM’s shortcomings, by installing official-looking signage himself, on his own dime (~ $30).

Gare Centrale (vicinity):
6f5185b5c3edac7c5884ba2188105d45b9f2e3de_2_880x660.jpeg

7ddddf6196e0ad1b30e358a6299ac962b054f161_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

8ca2ba82c9bd75f5531974a91a4fe00d6282f11e_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

Panama:
282ab423d2bdc1df5c8992703eed5e5d742fe95a_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

The stash of high-quality decals:
f2ec2059ecf2d7cda0e481cb11c4e63e9f427804_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

They’re so official looking that they haven’t been removed… What a Saint!!
This is amazing - I love guerrilla urbanism!

Montreal Gazette had the REM's spokesperson answer some readers' questions. On Griffintown Station, they said a construction plan for it will be released by the end of this year.

Montreal Gazette also wrote that unnamed (in the article at least) planners told them the station should open by end of 2024.

Montreal Gazette - 10 August

La Presse - 10 August

Who to believe?
La Presse.

Also from La Presse today, Legault is looking to have a new agency to fast track transit projects, might be the end of the ARTM. He's pretty explicit in how he can't fathom the replacement of the REM de l'Est with the 36G$ proposal.

Speaking of the REM de l'Est, it looks like the line won't even be automated.

Financial gains like not having to build grade separations, which cost a lot of money.

What's cheaper? 5 km of trackage in the roadway, or 5 km of elevated guideway?

Financial gains like not having to build grade separations, which cost a lot of money.

What's cheaper? 5 km of trackage in the roadway, or 5 km of elevated guideway?
... not having to build grade separations?

They literally announced that the whole line will be buried, ie, it is fully grade separated. Where do you think that $36B price tag came from?

Back