News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It also seems silly to suggest that not grade separating would reduce costs. In the long run, you end up spending more on labour costs anyways.
My personal worry is that they would not, in fact, pay the labour cost and instead end up with a low-frequency line. That could happen because the labour cost to ridership ratio might not be there for a slower LRT in the suburbs.

Keep in mind that the line is 32km but only expected to have a ridership of 29k. They will need a lot of vehicles to cover that distance at anything better than every 10 minutes. CDPQs plan was to run tiny automated trains to make high frequency work cost effectively.

Last edited:
... not having to build grade separations?

They literally announced that the whole line will be buried, ie, it is fully grade separated. Where do you think that $36B price tag came from?
Perhaps that's something they will revisit now. I can't imagine where else any price savings will come from.

Perhaps that's something they will revisit now. I can't imagine where else any price savings will come from.
Uhm, elevating the route through low-density suburbs?

Do we know how long the platforms are with this $36 billion proposal? That might be another place to save money.

I don't think CPDQi will accept a non-grade-separated route. If they have to pay for operations, spending some extra money on elevated vs. surface will save them lots of operational costs in the long term. If the province/ARTM/Montreal wants to take up the project, anything could happen.

Uhm, elevating the route through low-density suburbs?

Do we know how long the platforms are with this $36 billion proposal? That might be another place to save money.

I don't think CPDQi will accept a non-grade-separated route. If they have to pay for operations, spending some extra money on elevated vs. surface will save them lots of operational costs in the long term. If the province/ARTM/Montreal wants to take up the project, anything could happen.
the article that was quoted specifically referred to cost savings as a result of nixing automation, though. There was nothing stopping them from elevating the route or shortening the platforms even if the trains were self driving. Hard to fathom what other ways having drivers would lead to cost savings that didn't exist before.

A tramway is now being studied as an option for East Montréal.

Pfffft. More studies. The Pie-IX SRB should've been a tram line, the frequency is not great outside peak hours! And this obsession with elevated rail viaducts being ugly and hence not acceptable is funny considering how the same seems to be okay for automobiles. One should go take a look at the eyesore of Autoroute 40.

The ARTM should "study" how to dissolve themselves as an agency.

1692370182233.png

"Stepping over dollars to save pennies since 2017"

Last edited:
I really don't know what Legault will do. The jab he made during the REM's opening at the expense of Plante and his recent remarks towards the ARTM means he's losing patience a lot.
If Legault is really in charge, expect nothing for the inner-west neighbourhoods (NDG, CSL, etc.) no matter the density or ridership they'd bring to the network. It's comical how that guy tries to balance economics with his weird brand of nationalism.

I think that if REM de l'est survives at all, it'll be grade-separated and automated, as both the mayor and premier seem opposed to the tramway. REM's tech is also looking good with its 99% on-time performance to date.

Back