News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Today, I just wanted to showcase a truly beautiful soul. @mashdash is a graphic designer who has been making up for the ARTM’s and REM’s shortcomings, by installing official-looking signage himself, on his own dime (~ $30).

Gare Centrale (vicinity):
6f5185b5c3edac7c5884ba2188105d45b9f2e3de_2_880x660.jpeg

7ddddf6196e0ad1b30e358a6299ac962b054f161_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

8ca2ba82c9bd75f5531974a91a4fe00d6282f11e_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

Panama:
282ab423d2bdc1df5c8992703eed5e5d742fe95a_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

The stash of high-quality decals:
f2ec2059ecf2d7cda0e481cb11c4e63e9f427804_2_880x1173.jpeg

Source

They’re so official looking that they haven’t been removed… What a Saint!!
He was interviewed by La Presse in this article (in French).

He’s 21-year old Concordia student Dashiell Friesen:
a50e008b85933374b2a07d701a939a58.webp

He was interviewed by La Presse in this article (in French).

He’s 21-year old Concordia student Dashiell Friesen:
I love the response by the transport minister! https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...nsport-collectif/guilbault-ecorche-l-artm.php
(Translated)
"I admit that like you, when I read these things [about the ARTM], I find that it does not send a signal of effectiveness," the minister explained on Wednesday on Radio-Canada at the beginning of the day. She thus reacted to two successive reports by La Presse.... "Pasting signage, you don't need three months of planning and 15 meetings. You do it," she said

Minister is mad at the ARTM lol.

Pfffft. More studies. The Pie-IX SRB should've been a tram line, the frequency is not great outside peak hours! And this obsession with elevated rail viaducts being ugly and hence not acceptable is funny considering how the same seems to be okay for automobiles. One should go take a look at the eyesore of Autoroute 40.

In fairness, many people agree Autoroute40 is an eyesore and would prefer it didn't exist and/or was out of sight.

If it were proposed today as something brand new, in an established area, the opposition would be fierce.

Minister is mad at the ARTM lol.

Just a bit of the above article, in English for UT readers who find reading French a challenge.

1692802066938.png

107 trees are planned to be cut for the Pie-IX BRT extension to Notre Dame. They are saying the trees need to be removed for sidewalk widening, Which seems weird. But have not looked deeply into it.

Seems that gates are being installed at Gare Centrale REM station towards Place Bonaventure. That might explain the lack of signage not being installed as the walking route would be different. Weird situation altogether. That entrance is not on any recent plans. It would be a big win for metro/REM connexion.

Fascinating video - at least for those of us who grew up using frequently using metro Bonaventure and Central Station - long before the 1000 De La Gauchetière was built, and when Place Bonaventure was still a retail mall.

I'm disappointed on how uninspired and primitive the design of the connection from the REM to Place Bonaventure is. And shocked that it is exit-only. This is easiest the quickest way between the REM and metro platforms (you'd enter and exit the REM train at the south end of the platform). And for those coming from the south and east (especially the pedestrian tunnel from OACI and the warrent of tunnels south of metro Square-Victoria).

You can see all the relevant entrances and tunnels on the up-to-date neighbourhood map for metro Bonaventure

1693187724709.png

P.S. Yes, they missed the southbound REM tracks at Central station. But they did get them for the the 3rd page of the neighbourhood map PDF file, which shows the bus routes.
1693188024283.png

Last edited:
I had said to the STM that their wayfinding person is sloppy with numerous examples of mistakes and offenses and yet that person still do sloppy work. How is missing a train line and platform in any way acceptable?

If they ever extended the Metro past Angrignon; should they do it cheaper through this corridor elevated Sapporo Subway style/shallow cut and cover (Red), or should they do a much more expensive tunneled project to hit the commercial center? (Blue)

1693509536813.png

Is the Sapporo thing actually meaningfully cheaper than cut and cover? I'm all for elevated construction, but tunnels in the sky are... a bit much.
It all depends on the geographical situation. Cut and cover can be cheaper if there's no underground utilities. Aerial guideway can be cheaper than streetcar cause no utilities to be relocated. In the Montreal context, a streetcar is studied for that part.

I would question creating an entirely new mode just to serve this area instead of eating your vegetables and extending the green line.

Back