News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A

Archivistower

Two-year-old Montreal library falling to pieces
Glass panels crashing to sidewalk below

PETER RAKOBOWCHUK

Canadian Press

MONTREAL -- Going to the library could be dangerous to your health.

The $98-million Grande Bibliothèque, Quebec's main library and archive, has been falling apart a few pieces at a time.

Glass panels have been slipping from the exterior of the five-storey building, but book lovers and pedestrians could be protected in a novel way: a proposed safety perimeter of gardens, trees and awnings, which is also the most affordable option.

The library, located in downtown Montreal near the main bus station, opened with great fanfare in the spring of 2005.

Since then, 10 glass panels on the outside of the modern structure have crashed to the sidewalk, but no one has been injured.

"We're talking about the possibility of having a few more breakages over the next years," library spokeswoman Helen Panaioti said in an interview yesterday.

"But, according to the information provided by our experts, the possibility is exponentially reduced over time," Ms. Panaioti said. "The worst has already occurred."

Replacing the thousands of glass strips -- each about half the size of a small bedroom door -- with other tempered glass panels would cost "two or three years of work and several million dollars," she said.

But she said that would not reduce the risk of breakage.

Laboratory tests suggest 30 per cent of the 6,200 glass panels could present a risk falling off because they don't meet national standards for tempered glass.

Ms. Panaoti said the solution being proposed is to build a security perimeter composed of permanent awnings, landscaped gardens, dense shrubbery and banners "with a gutter system."

"In the case of breakage, the pieces [of glass] would never reach the ground."

She said the estimated cost of the security perimeter would be $500,000, far cheaper than a possible lawsuit against the builder.

Passerby Gilles Francoeur said it reminded him of problems with Montreal's Olympic Stadium. Chunks of concrete have fallen from a side of the stadium and part of its roof also has ripped.

"It's the taxpayers who end up paying and we should have a building that doesn't have any anomalies," he said.

Mr. Francoeur, a 54-year-old electrician, said he wouldn't want to be the employee responsible for maintaining the gardens.

An official with the downtown borough of Ville-Marie, where the library is located, said the proposed solution doesn't solve the problem and it doesn't answer safety concerns. "No objects should be allowed to fall from the building," Jean-Yves Duthel said.

"Laboratory tests suggest 30 per cent of the 6,200 glass panels could present a risk falling off because they don't meet national standards for tempered glass."

If they don't meet national standards isn't the manufacturer and/or builder liable? The library/public shouldn't have to pay to remedy this botched job.

Thank god Montreal hasn't seen any major skyscraper go up in a while. Construction, Montreal and Safety don't seem to go together very well. I guess this explains though why so many Montrealers would rather be outside then in a building. The secret to an active outside :p

Having seen and been in the building it is quite nice inside.

Thinking about recent construction in that city I propose Montreal is developing a distinct style in the same vein as Toronto is developing it's own.

Discuss, debate, and be sure and thank me at the end of the day.

Can't wait for that to start happening at the new opera house. They look nearly the same from the shot in the paper.

The Olympic Stadium, government office buildings, bridges, the new library... there seems to be a tradition of deconstruction emerging in Quebec.

Remind me to bring a hardhat next time I go to Montreal! :)

donmartin.jpg

That's right - I remember the story of the exploding bricks from that shitpile. Perhaps the Don Martin characters represent Quebec Liberals coming out of the Gomery Inquiry.

Ms. Panaoti said the solution being proposed is to build a security perimeter composed of permanent awnings, landscaped gardens, dense shrubbery and banners "with a gutter system.""
"Mr. Francoeur, a 54-year-old electrician, said he wouldn't want to be the employee responsible for maintaining the gardens.

This reminded me of the Heritage Minute commercial about the Chinese railway workers, just substituting a garden for the tunnel and a glass guillotine for the nitro glycerine.

"They say that there is one dead gardener for every foot of that shrubbery...that's what they say."

"Can't wait for that to start happening at the new opera house. They look nearly the same from the shot in the paper."

That already did start happening, and that's why there was such a delay in getting the facade done. The steel wall that holds up the glass on the University frontage wasn't strong enough to take the weight of the glass, and the support arms started buckling. They had to take down everything they had put up while they went back to reinforce the wall.

There is a sign inside Scotia Plaza, near Winners, that says, "Watch For Falling Ice".

add the Laval overpass - what is it with dodgy materials in QC government construction?

Back