9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Next stops: McGill University and Universite de Montreal.
A new study gives a preliminary green light to build two commuter train stations underneath the McGill and Edouard Montpetit metro stations, next to the two university campuses.

The stations would be on the Montreal/Deux Montagnes rail line that runs through the Mount Royal tunnel.

The project pre-feasibility study completed this month for the Metropolitan Transportation Agency, a copy of which was obtained by The Gazette, reveals the station proposal could boost ridership, cut travel time and usher in the first straight-through commuter rail service linking the North and South Shores.

The study by the Tecsult consulting firm says the downtown station being studied by the MTA would be under the Place Montreal Trust shopping centre on McGill College Ave. between Ste. Catherine St. and de Maisonneuve Blvd., just north of the current Deux Montagnes terminal under Central Station.

The train tracks are nine metres below street level, under the Green Line's McGill metro station.

The Edouard Montpetit station would be farther north, inside the five-kilometre-long Mount Royal tunnel, built between 1913 and 1918.
Here, the rail tracks are 71 metres below Edouard Montpetit Blvd. and Vincent d'Indy Ave., where the metro's Blue Line has its Edouard Montpetit stop.

Excavation would be necessary at Edouard Montpetit to install a high-speed elevator, similar to one in Washington's 60-metre-deep Forest Glen subway station, the study says.

Much of the work at McGill and Edouard Montpetit stations would involve digging passages and emergency exits to meet National Fire Protection Association evacuation standards.

Daily downtown-bound train ridership has the potential to increase by more than double, to 79,800 passengers from the current 36,200, if the McGill College rail station is built, the study says. As many as 54,700 of those commuters would get off at McGill College, and the rest at Central Station, it says.

As many as 13,300 passengers would get off at a Universite de Montreal stop, the study says.

"We wanted to know if it was feasible," MTA president and executive director Joel Gauthier said when asked to comment on the study. "It is feasible, and it would have a tremendous impact on ridership to downtown." The next step would be feasibility studies to nail down the price tag, he said. Laval's three new metro stations each cost $50 million to $65 million, he said, which offers a benchmark.

The MTA's 2007-08-09 capital works program shows a combined $1 million is being spent in 2006 and 2007 on feasibility studies for each of the two proposed rail stations.

It says the Edouard Montpetit station would offer rail commuters from Laval and the North Shore direct public-transit access to the Universite de Montreal for the first time.

And it says the McGill College rail station would provide residents of Outremont and Cote des Neiges a five-minute commute to downtown.
Place Montreal Trust was built in the 1980s with an expectation that it would have an underground train station, Gauthier said.

Ivanhoe Cambridge, which owns the shopping mall portion of the Place Montreal Trust complex as well as the Eaton Centre across the street, said it was approached by the MTA in 2006 about the station.

"We had meetings and we have other meetings planned for July," said Helene Brault, director of communications for Ivanhoe Cambridge. "It's a pre-feasibility study," she said when asked about the firm's position. "So it's premature at the moment." Gauthier said the two stations are part of the MTA's development vision for 2017.

The MTA plans to hike passenger capacity on the Montreal/Deux Montagnes commuter line with double-decker trains.

It will also open a $300-million Montreal/Repentigny-Mascouche line in 2011. The line is to run on an existing diesel track from the east onto the electric Deux Montagnes line so it can take the Mount Royal tunnel to downtown.

The mix of diesel and electric lines prompted the MTA to launch a call for proposals with New Jersey's transit authority this spring to find dual-mode diesel and electric trains.

Once it has dual-mode trains, the MTA could redirect its Montreal/Blainville-St. Jerome diesel train line onto the Deux Montagnes line at its Park Ave. station so it, too, can take the Mount Royal tunnel and eliminate its current 15-minute detour around the mountain.

The MTA also wants to put dual-mode trains on its Montreal/Mont St. Hilaire line on the South Shore so the train can go beyond Central Station, onto the

Deux Montagnes line and continue to the North Shore.
All those lines could stop at Edouard Montpetit and McGill College, the Tecsult study says.

A McGill College rail station would give the MTA the option to stop riding its commuter trains to Central Station, which is owned by Canadian National.

The MTA does not reveal how much rent it pays to CN to use Central Station. A source said it's close to $7.5 million this year.

"I think the McGill College (station) makes a lot of sense," said David Hanna, director of graduate studies in urban studies at the Universite du Quebec a Montreal.

"You're right there in the heart of the action. You're right there at all the underground malls. You're right there in all the big office towers. You're right there at the doors of the university. So it's a no-brainer. It's going to be a huge success." Hanna said, however, he is "very skeptical" about the Edouard Montpetit station.

It would be very costly to dig an elevator shaft 71 metres deep, he said. And the rock in the area is much harder than the standard Montreal limestone, which would elevate costs, Hanna added. A tramway there would be less costly, he said.

From The Gazette

I don't really get this thread title, no mention of S-Bahn-style service... they are still playing catch-up to Toronto, let alone Berlin.

The groundwork is being laid for S-Bahn style service. There's no freight traffic on the CN line through the double-tracked Mont Royal tunnel and the lousy midday and weekend service on that line really makes it unused. The new Repentigny-Mascouche line and the proposed re-routing of the Blainville line, plus more off-peak service would bring it to its full potential for sure, though the Blainville connection would be tricky.

Interesting that the Deux-Montanges line was once proposed to be part of the Metro as Line 3 (note that this number is skipped - 1-Green, 2-Orange, 4-Yellow, 5-Blue), but never followed through.

An aside: I always found it weird how the Gazette insists on used Anglicized names and initals. It always made me do double takes. In this case, the MTA, which I only know as the AMT.

Yet no mention of who will pay for it...
The first thing it would talk about if they were talking about Toronto in the article is who is going to pay for it.

A little disappointing, I too was expecting actual mention of plans to bring S-Bahn level service to Montreal. But this really does have the potential to create a very busy and useful line. I too am skeptical about Edouard Montpetit, that would be quite the project. But if they're serious about it... good for them!

AMT is a pretty well-funded organization. It gets most of its funding from the province, where they're in a pretty similar situation to what we had pre-Harris.

I know, CDL, that would have been nice! Still, I think this is impressive groundwork. I believe Edouard Monpetit is a great project, though it's not really worth it unless they have S-Bahn level service. It would be fantastic for Outremont, really shortening commutes. Right now, a trip on the subway to the McGill area takes two connections.

That bit about the rent at Central Station was a bit shocking. Are they actually thinking about abandoning AMT service there? I wonder how much rent they're charging VIA. CN just sold the place. It's a big mistake of VIA/AMT/City of Montreal to not have picked it up.

Who did buy Central Station? And did they buy everything, platforms and ticketing hall included? Why didn't VIA get that? No cash?

With Stephen Harper as prime minister? Definitely no cash. I don't remember who they sold it to... an American pension fund of some kind, if I recall correctly.

The abandonment of Central station by the ATM would certainly be misguided. It would also serve as a convenient jump-off point for future S-bahn service to the south shore, via St. Lambert. I might be wrong, but I think the overhead wires go nearly as far as the bridge over the St. Lawrence.

The abandonment of Central station by the ATM would certainly be misguided. It would also serve as a convenient jump-off point for future S-bahn service to the south shore, via St. Lambert. I might be wrong, but I think the overhead wires go nearly as far as the bridge over the St. Lawrence.

Not quite that far. The overhead used to extend into St-Lambert to the south-east, and past Pointe-St-Charles. The overhead wires themselves now end just south of Central Station, but the supports to both points are still mostly there.

VIA had schedules in the late 1980s and early 1990s showing the LRC locos and cars under overhead - it gave the impression on the pics that LRCs were electric locomotives.

Back