News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

@kEiThZ Indeed.

Here's the article I was thinking of with the key quote from MP Adam Vaughan:

Vaughan said his government will work in partnership with cities on the key issues including transit, housing, social equity, immigration, in addition to others which are part of the federal government's responsibilities.

But, he added, the specific plans will be up to the cities, and Ottawa won't interfere.

Ottawa's job 'not to draw lines on maps'

Asked if the federal Liberals will specifically support Mayor Tory's SmartTrack plan or if they'll be open to the decisions city council makes, Vaughan said, "Our job in Ottawa is not to draw lines on maps."

If anyone thinks this is going to be "tied up in two months"...they're sorely mistaken if Watson is to be taken at his word:
The city is taking a double-barrelled approach in its fight against a Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) order. On top of asking for help from cabinet, the city is also asking the Federal Court of Appeal to consider hearing an appeal.
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...binet-to-reverse-prince-of-wales-bridge-order

Watson misses the legal aspect of what the Transportation and other Acts state:
Watson also said he didn’t believe there were viable rail operators that could use the railway.
That's not how the legislation views the requirements it states.
With no work planned, the city contends the CTA’s order simply isn’t doable under current funding constraints.

“We don’t believe that the decision is fair for the City of Ottawa and for our taxpayers,” Watson said. “We have every intention, as I’ve said on many occasions, of using that bridge. We want to have the O-Train go over to Taché Boulevard Rapibus station so we have a more seamless transition between people who work in Gatineau and live in Ottawa, and vice versa.”
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...binet-to-reverse-prince-of-wales-bridge-order

^ Maybe Watson's aware of the legal process and still doesn't believe even through that process Moose could have a viable bid. One would think Ottawa City legal would have briefed the Mayor on all scenarios, and all potential players/groups. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the "legal aspect" you're referring to and the connection to Watson's quote about "viable rail operators" is a reference to the discountinance process? In other words, the City applies to discontinue the line/bridge, and companies, like Moose, could bid to take it over?

I realize it's been discussed before here. The Mayor seems to be suggesting that few if any companies other than Moose would be interested, and even if Moose did apply/bid they aren't viable.

^ No. I'm pointing out the basis of the CTA's ruling(s). Moose has absolutely nothing to do with the last order save that it can be seen as a consequence of Moose's petitioning the CTA for prior rulings.

To keep bringing MOOSE into the latest CTA decision is nothing short of obfuscation.

^ Not trying to obfuscate. Just relating my comment to a direct quote from the article cited: "Watson also said he didn’t believe there were viable rail operators that could use the railway."

Before this becomes a situation of 'he says, he says' (apologies to 'she'), here's the ruling:

upload_2018-3-7_12-24-13.png

[...]
upload_2018-3-7_12-25-18.png

http://kitchissippiward.ca/sites/default/files/R-2018-23-eng.pdf

This is purely the CTA ruling on the City's non-compliance with prior rulings. Watson could blame it on Martians, and it would be just as specious as MOOSE.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-7_12-24-13.png
    upload_2018-3-7_12-24-13.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 553
  • upload_2018-3-7_12-25-18.png
    upload_2018-3-7_12-25-18.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 549
^ And I assume Moose is very much interested in stepping into the process if [27] 2. happens to execute their plan, given past sentiments expressed here in in the comments in this thread.

It's my opinion that [27] 2. is what Watson is generally or conceptually referring to when he indicates he "doesn't believe there were viable rail operators that could use the railway." My view is that it's a reference the discountinance process. If folks have a different opinion or view I am totally fine with that. Urban Toronto is place for open discussion, views, and personal opinions on various topics.

Last edited:
My thoughts on the CTA decision and the City's plan to appeal. (Apologies for the long-winded post.)

First of all, I think we need to make sure we differentiate between the Canada Transportation Act (CTA) ('The Act") and the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) ("The Agency"). The Act is the Law, the Agency interprets the law and makes rulings based on that interpretation and enforces them.

The Law is the law. The interpretation of the Law is subject to challenge and appeal.

Under the Act, there are three primary clauses that are relevant:
1. Railway owners must indicate their intent to continue using their rail lines in their three year plan.
2. If railway owners do not intend to continue using their lines they must go through the discontinuance process.
3. Other railway operators may be granted running rights on a rail line, either with the agreement of the owner, or as mandated by the Agency.

The current decision by the Agency has three key interpretations:
1. Railway owners are not required to maintain rail lines in a usable/operational condition at all times.
2. Railway owners may not allow railway lines to deteriorate or be altered to the point that they can not be restored.
3. A reasonable time frame to restore a rail line to operable condition is 12 months.

My thoughts on the Agency interpretations:
1. I think this is a no-brainer and all parties would agree to this. Anything other than this would prevent owners from conducting maintenance, modifications, improvements, or alterations.
2. Once again, I don't think most parties would have a disagreement with this. No one is suggesting letting bridges crumble to the ground or building roads over railway corridors is acceptable without going through discontinuance.
3. Here is where I think there is room for debate and appeal. Where did the 12 months come from? Why is that considered a reasonable time frame to restore a railway line? Is 12 months applicable across the board or is that only for this particular rail line? In regards to the POW Bridge scenario, the City has indicated that it could restore the line within 3 years. Why is 3 year unreasonable whereas 1 year is considered reasonable? Why not make it shorter, for example 3 months? etc. etc.

I don't have an answer nor do I preclude to know the solution. All I'm suggesting is that the Agency has set a precedence here and the precedence in my mind is the 12 month timeline from an order under Div IV of the Act. I believe that that precedence can be challenged from both sides, from the owners perspective suggesting it is too short a time frame to be reasonable, but also from third parties who would like to gain running rights who may argue that that time frame is too long and it should be shorter.

On a related side note. Since the 12 months timeline is new and precedent setting, one cannot say that the City was previously in contravention. It is only if they fail to abide by the Agency's order that they could subsequently be found to not be in compliance.

3. A reasonable time frame to restore a rail line to operable condition is 12 months.
Indeed. There are sections under which a ruling could have occurred giving them only six months.

In the event:
Limitation
(2) A railway company shall not take steps to discontinue operating a railway line before the company's intention to discontinue operating the line has been indicated in its plan for at least 12 months.
[...]
Time limit for agreement
(4) The railway company has six months to reach an agreement after the final date stated in the advertisement for persons to make their interest known.

Decision to continue operating a railway line
(5) If an agreement is not reached within the six months, the railway company may decide to continue operating the railway line, in which case it is not required to comply with section 145, but shall amend its plan to reflect its decision.
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/node/97505#Section140-146

The following sets a stage that Watson would be wise to consider. Petitioning as he is will only make the response more harsh. He'd best retain some legal counsel outside of the City's staff attorney.

Offer to governments
145. (1) The railway company shall offer to transfer all of its interest in the railway line to the governments mentioned in this section for not more than its net salvage value to be used for any purpose if

1. no person makes their interest known to the railway company, or no agreement with an interested person is reached, within the required time; or
  2. an agreement is reached within the required time, but the transfer is not completed in accordance with the agreement.
Which governments receive offer
(2) After the requirement to make the offer arises, the railway company shall send it simultaneously

1. to the Minister if the railway line passes through
    1. more than one province or outside Canada,
    2. land that is or was a reserve, as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Indian Act, or
    3. land that is the subject of an agreement entered into by the railway company and the Minister for the settlement of aboriginal land claims;
  2. to the minister responsible for transportation matters in the government of each province that the railway line passes through; and
  3. to the clerk or other senior administrative officer of each municipal or district government through whose territory the railway line passes.
Time limits for acceptance
(3) After the offer is received

1. by the Minister, the Government of Canada may accept it within thirty days;
  2. by a provincial minister, the government of the province may accept it within thirty days, unless the offer is received by the Minister, in which case the government of each province may accept it within an additional thirty days after the end of the period mentioned in paragraph (a) if it is not accepted under that paragraph; and
  3. by a municipal or district government, it may accept it within an additional thirty days after the end of the period or periods for acceptance under paragraphs (a) and (b), if it is not accepted under those paragraphs.
Communication and notice of acceptance
(4) Once a government communicates its written acceptance of the offer to the railway company, the right of any other government to accept the offer is extinguished and the railway company shall notify the other governments of the acceptance.

Net salvage value
(5) If a government accepts the offer, but cannot agree with the railway company on the net salvage value within ninety days after the acceptance, the Agency may, on the application of the government or the railway company, determine the net salvage value.

Discontinuation
146. (1) Where a railway company has complied with the process set out in sections 143 to 145, but an agreement for the sale, lease or other transfer of the railway line or an interest therein is not entered into through that process, the railway company may discontinue operating the line on providing notice thereof to the Agency. Thereafter, the railway company has no obligations under this Act in respect of the operation of the railway line and has no obligations with respect to any operations by VIA Rail Canada Inc. over the railway line.
[...]
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/node/97505#Section140-146

Watson isn't approaching this rationally. He claims to question the CTA's authority to govern federally regulated railways. Guess how far that's going to go in court or in dealings with the Ministry?

He'd best get out front of this situation and start bartering.

The answer is pretty clear. Ottawa has no intention of discontinuing the line, as the bridge is vital to its long term transit plans.

That only leaves 27(1) and the City is saying that 12 months is unreasonable - not for construction reasons - but because of money. They are saying that their current funding envelope doesn't cover that expense and to do so now would be a burden on taxpayers at no benefit for years. That's money that could be spent on other items with immediate impact.

So again, what is the purpose of the 12 month timeline? Who determined that it was reasonable? Is there someone ready and waiting to use the bridge? No. Is the CTA afraid that the city plans on demolishing the bridge? No, because it is part of their long term transit plans. Is the CTA willing to fund restoration of the line and bridge now? No? Well, take a hike.

It's really more a political issue than a legal one at this point. The law is clear. Ottawa broke it. What is also clear is that the enforcer is a quasi-judicial tribunal. And that means the Transport Minister can exercise his discretionary powers to wholly exempt or partially exempt Ottawa from part of the ruling. It's not a court order to be overturned.

No organization should bank on such an exercise going entirely in their favour. However, it's hard to see how the interests of the federal, provincial and municipal governments are not aligned here. Is there any party that benefits is forcing the City's full compliance with the CTA ruling? Ministerial discretion through the exercise of G-in-C powers exist for exactly these types of situations.

I, do expect, the City will get a favourable ruling from Garneau. But I also expect, that ruling to come with some strict conditions that will also have to be met.

It's really more a political issue than a legal one at this point. The law is clear. Ottawa broke it. What is also clear is that the enforcer is a quasi-judicial tribunal. And that means the Transport Minister can exercise his discretionary powers to wholly exempt or partially exempt Ottawa from part of the ruling. It's not a court order to be overturned.

No organization should bank on such an exercise going entirely in their favour. However, it's hard to see how the interests of the federal, provincial and municipal governments are not aligned here. Is there any party that benefits is forcing the City's full compliance with the CTA ruling? Ministerial discretion through the exercise of G-in-C powers exist for exactly these types of situations.

I, do expect, the City will get a favourable ruling from Garneau. But I also expect, that ruling to come with some strict conditions that will also have to be met.

If the minister decides to exempt Ottawa this could be a slippery slope. Just imagine a city being able to buy a rail line and then just leave it. A company wants to run revenue service on it, and now the municipalities can thwart them. Things like what Ottawa are doing are exactly what the regulations are there to prevent.

A note of clarification on prior interventions by the Governor in Council. I'm still researching how often this has happened and the legal basis stated for doing so in each case: (be aware that the pertaining Act has been superceded with a later one since these orders)
Order Varying CTC Abandonment Orders Respecting the Avonlea Subdivision Between Parry and Avonlea
SOR/88-590

CANADA TRANSPORTATION ACT

Registration 1988-11-17

Order Varying CTC Abandonment Orders Respecting the Avonlea Subdivision Between Parry and Avonlea

P.C. 1988-2576 1988-11-17

Whereas the Railway Transport Committee of the Canadian Transport Commission, by Order No. WDR1983-00225 of November 28, 1983, as amended by Order No. WDR1985-00024 of January 29, 1985, ordered the Canadian National Railway Company to abandon the operation of the Avonlea Subdivision between Parry (mile 29.81) near Avonlea (mile 51.45);

Whereas the execution of that Order has been stayed pursuant to Order No. WDR1985-00264 of December 2, 1985;

Whereas Order No. WDR1985-00264 of December 2, 1985 is rescinded by Order No. WDR1987-293 of November 16, 1987, effective November 28, 1988;

And Whereas the Governor in Council is of the opinion that it is in the public interest to rescind Order No. WDR1987-293 of November 16, 1987, to vary Order No. WDR1985-00264 of December 2, 1985 and to vary Order No. WDR1983-00225 of November 28, 1983, as amended by Order No. WDR1985-00024 of January 29, 1985;

Therefore, Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Transport, is pleased hereby, pursuant to section 64 of the National Transportation Act, 1987
(...footnote link removed...)
  • (a) to rescind Order No. WDR1987-293 of November 16, 1987 made by the Canadian Transport Commission;

• (b) to vary Order No. WDR1985-00264 of December 2, 1985 made by the Railway Transport Committee of the Canadian Transport Commission by deleting the words “until further order of the Commission” therein and substituting therefor the words “until November 28, 1989”; and

• (c) to vary Order No. WDR1983-00225 of November 28, 1983, as amended by Order No. WDR1985-00024 of January 29, 1985, made by the Railway Transport Committee of the Canadian Transport Commission by deleting the date “January 1, 1986” in clause 1 thereof and substituting therefor the date “November 28, 1989”.

Last edited:
If the minister decides to exempt Ottawa this could be a slippery slope. Just imagine a city being able to buy a rail line and then just leave it. A company wants to run revenue service on it, and now the municipalities can thwart them. Things like what Ottawa are doing are exactly what the regulations are there to prevent.

I don't think it's a slippery slope because it's not as simple as any kind of company just walking in and claiming they can run passenger or freight service. It's more complex than that. There are strict regulations and conditions to operating a railway. They need to have a Certificate of Fitness.

I got back to the article noted above that said Watson "doesn't believe there were viable rail operators that could use the railway."

Back