News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I believe you are correct! That looks like Albert Street on the left, where there is now a side entrance to the Eaton Centre.

I believe you are correct! That looks like Albert Street on the left, where there is now a side entrance to the Eaton Centre.

I think it looks more like Trinity Square.

2007-09-05-1839-10_edited.jpg

Last edited:
That cartoonish illustration makes the King Eddy look as classy as the Ford Hotel--no wonder Cold War North American travellers opted for Holiday Inns and away from the blighted inner city...

Very different from this image:

803e552b-2542-4463-8c09-91f12287f15f.jpg

Of course, one could always appreciate the interior decor:

POSTCARD-TORONTO-KINGEDWARDHOTEL-ROOMINTERIOR-NICE-c1960.jpg

And, before it became part of the Sheraton chain:

1128.jpg

Last edited:
That picture reminds me how Yonge Street used to glitter with neon and lights, a sight to behold that would draw the crowds. Sadly, no longer the case.

Though in that shot, of course, Toronto Hydro's particular display of glitter was a one-off.

Incidentally, I *think* I've heard that the 2 Carlton entrance mosaic still exists under the present veneer...

I remember the guy who used to sell "PAYYYPERRRS" out of that Star stand. I think he was on that corner into the late 90's when my office was in 2 Carlton. Anyone else remember him?

It's cool to see someone cycling on a major street in that photo, like a utilitarian cyclist. It wasn't that common in that era.

Back