News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I'll be spending half my life here this fall!

Jimmy Simpson swim team has relocated to John Innes for both daughters, and elder daughter skates at Moss Park. That puts me down there Tuesday through Friday until Christmas at least.

Other than sneaking over to the Richmond Rogue for a pint while they're in the pool, any other interesting ways to kill an hour?

^^ Britain's actually a cool little street. I like the south end of this 'nabe a lot, but it's still pretty sketchy, and it'll never clean up unless the Army moves/closes the shelter. One counterintuitive thing -- the Dollar store actually really cleaned up Sherbourne. How many times can you say that?

the work to britain street sounds promising. what a cool street with that little bend.

2-3 years ago the richmond rogue had a proposal to establish a modest patio in the stonecutters laneway (essentially an alley)...and in the process of constructing the patio (non-permanent), to enable cars/delivery trucks to still access it), they proposed to also lay interlocking brick in the laneway and do some other basic upgrades to improve the general sight of it and make it more pedestrian. the patio would be open till 11.

as i understand the local residents on britain st and those immediately above and around the rogue (namely the lighting store on sherbourne, backing on to the alley) opposed the plan to the local councillor and it was quietly quashed. but i always thought that little effort could have really ushered in an exciting era for the britain st gateway..

as for what the riverdale rink rat could do?
- ask for a tour of the moss park armoury
- play pool or ping pong at john innes
- volunteer to do some dishes at the sally ann on sherbourne
- drop down to acacia books on queen st
- bring the tennis racket or a basketball for moss park
- visit the 'hidden' italian resto (forget the name) on princess st, just south of adelaide -2nd floor

Community Council yesterday approved the plan to remove boulevard parking from Britain Street. Along with this a sidewalk will be added on the north side of the street. A small but significant improvement to the area.

That's great news and one hopes the first of many such Boulevard Parking removals. While Boulevard Parking on Britain Street may have been suitable at one time, as areas change it becomes less and less desirable.

^ Agreed.

what a cool street with that little bend.

I wondered about the bend for many years. I finally saw a map from the 1800's. Taddle Creek ran through here. The bend follows the creek bed itself.

It'd be neat if Toronto had kept a couple of its creeks unburied and running throughout the city. I'm imagining some Paris Ontario style riverside buildings. Not sure how big they actually are, but being able to take a small non-motorized boat through downtown would be pretty neat.

My building's grapevine has it that Filmore's has been sold, but I can find no reference to it online. I never thought that guy would sell; he just loves being a strip club owner too much. I guess everyone gets older, and everyone has their price. Anyways it'll be a decade at the very least before that site is condoized.

Although, burlesque lincenses are a rare thing in Toronto. I'm not sure it makes business sense to let it go.

Not just a rare thing, but--in the former City of Toronto, at least--an extinct thing. Existing venues such as Filmores, Brass Rail, Zanzibar, Remingtons are "grandfathered in"...

artoyuzabasiyancoldnigh.jpg

Art on a Christmas card by Arto Yuzabasiyan. Cold Night, Dundas Street East, 1988. The scene is an east view from what was then the William J. Bullock government building. It captures a tiny bit of the Filmore's sign.

Wow, Filmore's, George's BBQ, and William Denison Apts on the same card. The triple crown!

Was Dundas & Sherbourne more sketch, less sketch, or equally sketch compared to now?

I'm not sure, but it was certainly more fun, with 3 top notch jazz clubs within strolling distance and the Terrace roller rink!

I remember being charmed that every store around Church and Dundas was named after the owner - Alex's Drycleaning, Benny's Antiques, Peter's Barber Shop, etc.

Hi,
I m living down the street from queen and sherbourne. I heard that
Moss Park will be redeveloped similar to what they are doing at Regents Park.
Anyone knows more about this?
Thanks in advance

Hi,
I m living down the street from queen and sherbourne. I heard that
Moss Park will be redeveloped similar to what they are doing at Regents Park.
Anyone knows more about this?
Thanks in advance

I think those are some very long term plans - but yes it'll probably happen ... but not for a long long time (i.e. you're more likely not to be living there at the point :) just in the sense I'm guessing it's going to be 20+ years. I could be wrong though!

Back