News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm totally with you on the tea. The other stuff is infusions. Or steeped bark. Or something.

Things are what they are. Taking out ingredients and replacing them with other things make them something else.

When I'm in Starbucks and order a skinny hot chocolate (husband has sugar issues), I always have to add "no whip". One would think that a low-sugar drink would imply no whipped cream, but I guess not. Kind of like a cheeseburger with all the trimmings and a diet coke, I guess.

Kind of like a cheeseburger with all the trimmings and a diet coke, I guess.

While the fatty meal +diet coke combo can seem a bit odd, I am sure it is just a way of minimizing risk. Not quite the same as someone ordering a lactose-free cheese plate and then washing it down with a cold glass of milk, or someone ordering a cup of decaf with a caffeine pill ground up into it.

Just had to witness an argument at Starbucks between some lady with no money on her iPhone app, but wanted to pay cash and have it scanned for points anyway. The barista kept explaining that "if you pay cash, you won't get the points." She was like "oh you will be giving me the points." He's like "you can scan if you want, but nothing will happen." She was like "if that's true, your regional manager will be getting an earful. If I buy something, I get the points, ok? That's how it works everywhere else" The barista again explained that you get points for "not using cash" as it puts less pressure on the store's front line. And then she went on a tirade and demanded her money back and stomped out of the store.
If I was that employee, after telling her how the system works, I would have advised her I can put the cash on her card and she will then get the star for her purchase.

I'm totally with you on the tea. The other stuff is infusions. Or steeped bark. Or something.

Things are what they are. Taking out ingredients and replacing them with other things make them something else.

When I'm in Starbucks and order a skinny hot chocolate (husband has sugar issues), I always have to add "no whip". One would think that a low-sugar drink would imply no whipped cream, but I guess not. Kind of like a cheeseburger with all the trimmings and a diet coke, I guess.
They only ask or assume no whip when you order a lactose free drink.

Starbucks doesn't always have decaf drip, but they DO have decaf espresso. If you want a decaf coffee, you often have to get decaf Americano. I rarely get anything crazier than, say, a "dirty chai latte" (not officially on the menu, but it's basically chai latte with a shot of espresso). Typically, it's a misto or a latte, tall and non-fat. Not a fan of the really weird sugary drinks. I do pumpkin spice latte once a year though (no whip).

Wow....am I ever happy now reading these comments knowing all I ever order there is a "Grande Pike"

Wow....am I ever happy now reading these comments knowing all I ever order there is a "Grande Pike"

What's the point of going to Starbucks if all you want is a Grande Pike's? Wouldn't it be better to spend LESS money at Tim's? I don't do espresso drinks at Tim Hortons because theirs is just DISGUSTING. If I want something out of a machine, I'd rather go to McDonald's.

People get coffee at different places for a lot of different reasons: taste preference, location, convenience, availability of other products, etc. Not everyone is going to go out of their way to save 30 cents (of whatever the difference is between a Starbucks grande drip coffee and a similar size at Timmie's).

What's the point of going to Starbucks if all you want is a Grande Pike's? Wouldn't it be better to spend LESS money at Tim's? I don't do espresso drinks at Tim Hortons because theirs is just DISGUSTING. If I want something out of a machine, I'd rather go to McDonald's.
Pike Place is mmmm. I buy the decaf beans and grind at home and use in my Keurig.

Pike Place is mmmm. I buy the decaf beans and grind at home and use in my Keurig.
Pike Place is great ... but I normally hit the comic book store and get some fish and sausages. I'm still disappointed the great chili place has gone. Never had coffee ...

I think I'd prefer a coffee store run by the Soup Nazi. One size, no cream or sugar. "No coffee for you! Next!

Pike Place is great ... but I normally hit the comic book store and get some fish and sausages. I'm still disappointed the great chili place has gone. Never had coffee ...

I think I'd prefer a coffee store run by the Soup Nazi. One size, no cream or sugar. "No coffee for you! Next!

The person lining up behind one of those abominations can only thank for such a scenario.

AoD

The person lining up behind one of those abominations can only thank for such a scenario.

AoD
Indeed. No worries if you're behind me, I order clearly, politely yet quick, never ask for any preparations or special conditions for my coffee order. When I'm at Starbucks, it's tall Bold, black. By the time it's presented I have cash ready to pay. Never debit.

I've always believed that when in a queue, any tardiness or unnecessary delay is akin to stealing time from the people behind. I remember when I lived in Fredericton, I'd be at an advanced green signal in traffic, and if first would immediately proceed, while the guy behind sat there stealing time from everyone behind him. If everyone when in queues would just be more courteous of how their decisions or action impact others, we'd all move long faster.

IMO, coffee should never encounter anything squeezed from a cow or soy bean, and never any sugar. Once you go bold and black (with good beans, properly prepared) you never go back to sweet and beige.

Last edited:
IMO, coffee should never encounter anything squeezed from a cow or soy bean, and never any sugar. Once you go bold and black (with good beans, properly prepared) you never go back to sweet and beige.

Well, it could be argued that what passes for regular coffee in North America cannot be considered to be properly prepared. I love that when I order a "café" in France I am given an "express" - not the thimble-sized ristretto made with overroasted beans that you get at Starbucks, but a full demi-tasse of something that is actually palatable. (I once overheard in a Paris restaurant an American lady asking for a "café américain" and the waiter explaining out loud to a collegue, within earshot of the customer, that it meant "jus de chaussettes" = sock juice).

Well, it could be argued that what passes for regular coffee in North America cannot be considered to be properly prepared. I love that when I order a "café" in France I am given an "express" - not the thimble-sized ristretto made with overroasted beans that you get at Starbucks, but a full demi-tasse of something that is actually palatable. (I once overheard in a Paris restaurant an American lady asking for a "café américain" and the waiter explaining out loud to a collegue, within earshot of the customer, that it meant "jus de chaussettes" = sock juice).
Agreed, it is a challenge, though I'd like to think we're ahead of most American coffee, and I have to credit Starbucks for at least making the effort to attempt better coffee than say Tims or Coffee Time.

Best coffee I ever had was at a gas station cafe in Haifa, Israel. Thick goo at the bottom of the cup, and a super rich flavour. I think I might have put sugar in it then, but either way, it was fantastic.

Back