News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Get the stick out of your ass seriously. What DT Toronto Geek said made sense to me. "Down with that" is a common expression. UT doesn't stand for some post secondary institution or something. This isn't academia. We aren't writing essays here. You should just shut up and stop arguing about stupid things. Your posts are a waste of bandwidth.
Feel better now? I'm all for modern colloquialisms, and fully understand "down with that", I think it's a great expression, though hardly new. Nor am I a language fascist, as long as I can understand it, I'm down with it. BTW, your post above was very well written.

For the record, what threw me was not "down with that", but was what I quoted "come your down with that so long". To me that makes no sense, and I can't get my head around the syntax. What does it mean?

I have to ask, why do you need to insult me, or anyone here? I haven't done anything but ask for an explanation of a post. If you don't like my posts, don't read them, ignore them - feeling that a post is a "waste of bandwidth" and then replying to the original post thus showing its worthiness makes no sense. Click on my profile, and click Add to My Ignore List, and you'll never have to see my posts again - now if you feel as you do, that makes sense.

Last edited:
I'm down in New York City this long weekend, and have walked and driven all over Manhattan and the closer suburban areas around the island with my family I have a few law and order observations. First of all, NYPD seems to have far more officers on their feet than in their cars, the polar opposite of what I see in Toronto. In the more suburban areas (can I call Brooklyn a suburb?) where police on foot is not workable, there are police in cars everywhere. In Toronto, I might see a police car once a week, in NYC I'm seeing a dozen a day or more. Not that I want Toronto's police budget to grow hugely (more than its already majority position on the property tax bill), but perhaps there is a way to use current resources to get more police presence in Toronto's most dangerous neighbourhoods?

For the record, what threw me was not "down with that", but was what I quoted "come your down with that so long". To me that makes no sense, and I can't get my head around the syntax. What does it mean?

What makes no sense is that your quoting the middle part of a sentence. Chill.

^Average number of cop cars I see in Toronto daily: 30.
I wish that were true in my case. I drive up the DVP every day and rarely see a police car.

After a 700+ km drive were back in Cabbagetown from NYC. One thing I noticed in Manhattan was a complete absence of panhandling. Come to think of it, I don't think I saw a single loitering homeless person during the entire weekend. Where'd they all go? Jersey City is pretty rough looking.

Contrary to some opinions, driving in Manhattan is a piece of cake if you're accustomed to urban driving. My wife drove the mini van through NY Times Square on Saturday night like a local, and traffic moves smoothly along. NYC, the city that works.

Should take a shot everytime he mentions that he lives in cabbagetown....we'd all be pissed drunk 24/7.

Hmm... seems I've rattled a newbie. I shan't mention Cabbagetown again, oh hell, there I did it again.

Urbandreamer, what's with the clueless comment? Just conveying my observations re. police, law and order from walking, cabbing and driving around Manhattan on the weekend.

Last edited:
I wish that were true in my case. I drive up the DVP every day and rarely see a police car.
I can't say I see a lot of cop cars on the DVP ... can't say I see a lot of crime along the DVP either. I certainly see one very frequently once I pull off though. Unless you've got a particularly short drive at both ends, it would seem bizarre not to see any. It's hard to go out in the city for long and NOT see a cop car ...

NYC, the city that works.
An odd comment given the transit problems they have. Stations are much worse shape than ours ... smelling urine at a subway exit is normal there. Off-peak frequencies on subways are as low as once every 20 minutes. And bus transit is much poorer than here. And with the recession there they've been cutting transit rather than expanding it!

An odd comment given the transit problems they have. Stations are much worse shape than ours ... smelling urine at a subway exit is normal there. Off-peak frequencies on subways are as low as once every 20 minutes. And bus transit is much poorer than here. And with the recession there they've been cutting transit rather than expanding it!
I admit I didn't see the subways there. My comment that NY seems to be a city that works is from a pedestrian and driver's point of view, in that it's easy to walk the entire island, and driving in Manhattan, while definitely busy, seemed to flow seamlessly, with well timed traffic lights, and a lot more driver skill and courtesy than I see in Toronto, or heaven forbid Markham (red lights are optional up there) everyday.

I really liked Central Park, in that it's surrounded by the city. Too bad we didn't do something like that when Toronto was "designed". Parks on the fringe like High Park are nice, and small central parks like Queen's Park too, as are parks that border the lake, such as Tommy Thompson, but we've nothing like Central Park, smack in the middle of financial downtown.

Last edited:
I admit I didn't see the subways there. My comment that NY seems to be a city that works is from a pedestrian and driver's point of view, in that it's easy to walk the entire island, and driving in Manhattan, while definitely busy, seemed to flow seamlessly, with well timed traffic lights, and a lot more driver skill and courtesy than I see in Toronto, or heaven forbid Markham (red lights are optional up there) everyday.
I've walked around Manhattan in rush-hour, and it's felt like I'm moving faster than the traffic.

Driver skilll and courtesy? What, with the New York tradition of honking horns for virtually no reason at all? And the gridlock you see with peopling entering an intersection they have no hope of clearing?

And then their are the bridges ...

I like New York a lot - a whole lot - but I don't think you can make any kind of sensible comparison to Toronto (or any other city) after visiting for a couple of days on the weekend.

^ and especially not by driving everywhere.

I think Beez' impression of police in Toronto sounds like it was formed from behind the windshield of a car. I don't drive in the city, and I agree 100% with urbandreamer's statistic. On the other hand, the lack of traffic police on the DVP and Gardiner is extremely irritating on rare occasions when I actually drive.

I'd love to see a larger number of mounted/cyclist officers on the street to bolster direct community engagement. I'm pretty sure this is actually a long term plan that is in progress right now.

After a 700+ km drive were back in Cabbagetown from NYC. One thing I noticed in Manhattan was a complete absence of panhandling. Come to think of it, I don't think I saw a single loitering homeless person during the entire weekend. Where'd they all go? Jersey City is pretty rough looking.

Contrary to some opinions, driving in Manhattan is a piece of cake if you're accustomed to urban driving. My wife drove the mini van through NY Times Square on Saturday night like a local, and traffic moves smoothly along. NYC, the city that works.

I believe pan handling is illegal in New York. When I was there I only saw one homeless person leaning up against a building. Head over to San Francisco if you're looking for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back