8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
Mods, please delete if you feel this isn't 'Urban Toronto' related. There are probably forums for this sort of thing. My justification is 'Torontonians-who-were-here-before-us':)

As we swing into the Mount Pleasant, we see:
P1000146.jpg

P1000147.jpg

The proportions of the horse, especially the legs are 'off'.:rolleyes:

This is the extreme northeast corner of the cemetery. It's a Chinese area; most of the burials in the 1920s'/30s, with a few exceptions. Just a seat of the pants guess, but I suppose there wasn't more than a high few hundreds of Chinese in T.O. in the 1920's. Many of the graves contain young men who died in their 20s/30s. There were only 2 fresh flowers among the hundred or so plots here on this 2008 Fathers Day - I suppose their descendants don't know of their forefathers or live elsewhere or being so many generations removed feel great great grandpappy isn't relevant anymore.
P1000151.jpg

P1000152.jpg

P1000150.jpg

Many graves are weathered and covered over by vegetation.
P1000153.jpg

Poor kid.
P1000154.jpg

'Mouse Guard' [sorry for the weird reference. It's a comic book series.:)]
P1000148.jpg

Across the cemetery, some of the new generation of Chinese seem to be of the boastful sort.
P1000155.jpg

-Moose

Stumbled upon Mackenzie King's grave at Mount Pleasant while biking through there on my way home. I had no idea he was buried there.

There is a huge amount of history represented in this cemetery. Prominent families have members buried here: Eaton, Massey, Gooderham, Weston, etc.
Individuals include WLM. King, Glenn Gould, Frederick Banting, etc.

A large monument located near Yonge Street on the south side of the cemetery marks a burial place for a large number of Salvation Army members who died when their ship sank in the St. Lawrence River.

Mike Filey wrote a book on some of the graves in the cemetery. Unfortunately I didn't buy it, and it is now out of print. I look for it occasionally in second-hand places.

Good photographs! Thanks for posting them.

Definitely a beautiful cemetery. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was full of people along the trails. Many of my relatives are buried there as well.

Back