News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What an awful place to put the station. I mean the railway goes right downtown where there already is a station (now a tourist information centre, although I've never seen it open). Unless they run some sort of express bus from the terminal, it won't work out at all.

I sincerely hope Del Mastro doesn't get re-elected for this - or at all for that matter. It makes me feel kind of dirty that we're only getting this for political reasons, and Toronto itself will probably get shut out. I'm expecting most of the money will be going out west. At least it's something here though. Hopefully the Liberals will go one up on them and promise more to the area and Ontario in general.

The fact that transit is a big issue now is exciting. Hopefully that will last to see all of these projects through to the end.

I suspect that if this line is built (and it would have been built anyway, just probably not as soon as it would have before this announcement), that Peterborough would open a station on the outskirts first before renovating the downtown station for rail service. This what we're seeing happen in Barrie.

^I really hope they renovate the downtown station (in both cities). Both locations make sense - one on the outskirts for park 'n ride commuters, and one downtown for students, business travellers, and anyone who wants a cheaper cab ride. Taking a taxi or a bus from Harper Rd all the way to Trent University is ridiculous. Peterborough's done a pretty good job supporting its downtown, it really surprises me that they haven't designated the old VIA station for rail service.

Ironically, the old VIA station in Peterborough now has not only a tourism office, but an MTO office too. The building is nicely restored and well maintained, the work needed to make it a train station again would be minimal.

What I find interesting about this whole deal is that CP is paying for part of the rail upgrade. I guess the way they see it, if they allow passenger trains on their tracks, the line gets upgraded for cheap. It makes perfect business sense for them. I could see this kind of model being used to bring rail service to other places off the main rail lines, like Collingwood or Orillia.

The tracks to Orillia were torn up years ago, but I would support re-laying them.

Now if only CP would meet us halfway on the Hamilton tunnel and the entire Milton line...

I didn't realize the tracks to Orillia were torn up.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that the budget had no funding for MoveOntario2020...while it funded transit in both Vancouver and Montreal.

Doensn't the Northland Passenger Train run through Orillia?

No, it travels around the other side of Lake Simcoe. The nearest Northlander stop is Washago.

There is no track on the Newmarket subdivision between Mile 42.28 (Jct with Barrie-Collingwood Railway) and Mile 98.8 (Washago). I guess we can calculate the cost based on how much they are paying to upgrade the Havelock subdivision. 64.4 miles between Toronto Yard & Peterborough for $88 million = about $1.4 million per mile.

That is a rough calculation, but since they'll have to replace the rails on the Havelock sub during the upgrade, its a reasonable rough.

Is there an appropriate link someplace so noobs can catch up on the whys and wherefores of the missing gap north of Barrie, including whether we'll ever see rails there again?

Is there an appropriate link someplace so noobs can catch up on the whys and wherefores of the missing gap north of Barrie, including whether we'll ever see rails there again?

Here's why.

There are no current plans to extend service past Barrie-Allandale, but I could see a branch to Orillia, a branch to Wasaga Beach and a branch to collingwood all converging in Barrie in the extreme long term.

NEWS:

According to Rob MacIsaac, who's a great guy, btw, Metrolinx will be handling the Peterborough line. This is what he said on CBC radio's Here and Now. This could mean that VIA Rail might not be the operator of the new line.

Great. So Metrolinx isn't prioritizing the integration of bus routes, yet somehow they have enough resources and powers to run a railway line to somewhere clearly out of its jurisdiction.

We should be getting into the nitty-gritty stuff first, and then worry about Peterborough later.

According to Rob MacIsaac, who's a great guy, btw, Metrolinx will be handling the Peterborough line. This is what he said on CBC radio's Here and Now. This could mean that VIA Rail might not be the operator of the new line.
That's unfortunate. It seems a tad too far for commuter rail and more appropriate for VIA restoration.

There are no current plans to extend service past Barrie-Allandale, but I could see a branch to Orillia, a branch to Wasaga Beach and a branch to collingwood all converging in Barrie in the extreme long term.

I could foresee an extension in the immediate short term (5 years?) to Orillia given that the railway already exists along the north shore of Lake Simcoe, and would likely only stop in between at Shanty Bay and/or Oro-Medonte. I wouldn't rule out an infill between Allendale and Bradford either, perhaps near Innisfil Beach Rd.

As for Wasaga Beach/Collinwood, the GO could route a "bus meets train" scenario whereby via Highways 27, 92 and 26 (in a counterclockwise rotation) a brisk 45 min trippper of the Nottawasaga Bay area is covered.

I could foresee an extension in the immediate short term (5 years?) to Orillia given that the railway already exists along the north shore of Lake Simcoe, and would likely only stop in between at Shanty Bay and/or Oro-Medonte. I wouldn't rule out an infill between Allendale and Bradford either, perhaps near Innisfil Beach Rd.

There is no railway along the north shore of Lake Simcoe. It was torn up years ago.

Back