News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

On one had it's sarcasm over the constant recasting of Batman. On the other hand, I haven't seen one since Keaton left the role ... and based on the comments I've heard about his two successors, it was the right move. And also a sarcastic comment about the constant reboots. Superman Returns was a great movie, and instead of a sequel, it's being rebooted again? The Spiderman movies seemed to be going very well ... and instead yet another reboot?

What's the point of going to any of these movies, if there'll be a remake out shortly after. It's kind of like watching a Friday evening TV show on Fox ... you know it's going to be cancelled ... so what's the point.

- I think most people will agree that Keaton was a good Batman, and that Val Kilmer and George Clooney were poor replacements in pretty awful films, but the Christian Bale/Christopher Nolan combo righted the ship in a glorious manner across 3 films.

- Superman Returns was not a great film by any means. It was a misguided attempt to make a sequel of sorts to Superman II 26 years after the fact, while ignoring Superman III and IV. For anyone under the age of 30 at the time it was released, it was confusing, which is part of the reason why it also didn't make its sizeable budget back, so I don't understand why you're surprised that they're starting fresh. Reboots are by no means a recent phenomenon - Superman has been rebooted over and over since the 1940's in feature films, cartoons, and tv series. This is common with all classic, enduring pop culture characters.

- The Spider-Man movies started off well, but got worse with each one. The third one in particular was universally panned. Again, it's no surprise that it was rebooted, and the new film is of a higher quality.

I don't understand your automatic dismissal of reboots when the fact is that they are often superior to what came before.

Well the after dark festival, which gets bigger and bigger every year, moved to Bloor

Well the after dark festival, which gets bigger and bigger every year, moved to Bloor

Both cinemas seat the same amount of people, the problem is no digital projection or stereo sound at the Underground so After Dark went back to the Bloor cinema.

[ported over from the Maple Leaf Gardens thread as this was getting off topic]

... When I was an usher in the early 80's we even played a movie at the Eglinton Theatre for two weeks called "AC/DC Let There Be Rock" with "The Wall of Sound" where they brought in four banks of additional concert speakers/amplifiers & played the film at a calibrated 130db setting!

130 db is insane! That is approximately the volume of a Boeing 747 at takeoff.

Hmm, I know that is what the sound engineer told the manager that is what Warner Brothers ordered for "Let There Be Rock, who then told us. Famous Players supplied us with a box full of small earplug containers that were like gum with pink cotton over top. Memory plays tricks after so many years but I doubt it was as loud as a Boeing 747 at takeoff (not that I ever stood near one at takeoff!) but it was REALLY loud. It was impossible to to talk even in the lobby, we had to yell real loud if necessary. When we wanted to chat on our breaks we had to go into the break room or outside. Several speaker horns (they were about 6' X 2' horns on top of each 8 or 9' cabinet) and drivers blew the first weekend and had to be replaced but quick because the sound & bass levels dropped substantially.

I dug up an ad from The Toronto Star's 'Pages of the Past', note the red circled section -

ACDC_LetThereBeRock_May211982_mod.jpg

Superman Returns was a prime example of incredibly bad casting. Don't know what they were thinking to put that wee slip of a boy in the part of the Man of Steel....sheesh! On the other hand, I enjoyed the recent Green Lantern movie, and I go way back to the Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) and the Justice Society of America in All Star comics! You can't please everyone........

That would be the Woodbridge location. I don't think it will last any longer since they play movies in 35mm films.

Good point, thanks!
I was at the Scotiabank IMAX yesterday (saw Dark Knight Rises) and all the way through the 2 hr & 45 min. film the new rocker chairs were squeaking all around me. Even though it's about the loudest film I've ever heard in a movie cinema (no complaints though, the sound was terrific) I could still hear the seats squeaking whenever someone moved a bit (including mine). These new chairs are great but they really need someone with some oil or WD-40 to get in there and address that problem, it drove us NUTS. I spoke to staff about it on the way out (I was friendly about it) and they literally just stared at me with blank, soulless looks on their faces and said nothing. Trained monkeys.

Good point, thanks!
I was at the Scotiabank IMAX yesterday (saw Dark Knight Rises) and all the way through the 2 hr & 45 min. film the new rocker chairs were squeaking all around me. Even though it's about the loudest film I've ever heard in a movie cinema (no complaints though, the sound was terrific) I could still hear the seats squeaking whenever someone moved a bit (including mine). These new chairs are great but they really need someone with some oil or WD-40 to get in there and address that problem, it drove us NUTS. I spoke to staff about it on the way out (I was friendly about it) and they literally just stared at me with blank, soulless looks on their faces and said nothing. Trained monkeys.

That is unfortunate. Even more unfortunate, that I know the staff there and only a few have some experience in customer service. The problem is: most people doing it for the pay cheque and have no interest in the business.

The Scotiabank like every multiplex has a repair person and I'm sure he has some oil or WD-40 in the maintenance room.

Last edited:
Ah!! I sent an email the cinplex about this exact issue:

Hello,

On Sunday August 5th my wife and I attended the 4pm showing of The Dark Knight Rises at Scotiabank Theatre Toronto in IMAX.
Our seats were C29 and C30. The movie it self was great but our experience not so much due to the following issue: Some of the seats in this section seem to be excessively squeaky, so much so that shifting in the seat make an audible noise, when people are eating popcorn or the like (i.e. moving) even more so. We weren't the only ones that felt this way, I know the folks in the seats beside us felt bad but of course they really couldn't do anything about it other then try to sit very still which they did : ). When the movie was very loud it wasn't bad but during talking scenes it was really distracting.

I would imagine a simple oiling could really help alleviate the issue.

We love the theater and IMAX otherwise ! It would be great if you could attempt to fix this.

---- reply #1

Thank you for contacting Cineplex Entertainment regarding your visit to the Scotiabank Theatre Toronto. We apologise for the experience you had during your visit. We would like to investigate the issue and forward your concern to the appropriate personnel for their review and to be addressed. Please forward us the following information at your earliest convenience.

--- reply #2 (after giving requested information ... why they wanted it I have no idea ...)

Thank you for bringing up this concern. I have contacted our maintenance supervisor to look into the matter and get these seats oiled. We will also take a look at ALL the seats in Imax just to make sure none of them have this issue. Also thank you for providing us the seat number (C29 C30) as this will get it rectified much quicker.

Thank you.

Ah!! I sent an email the cinplex about this exact issue:

Well taal they clearly haven't addressed the issue, so they obviously don't care about their customers. I don't know what my seat number was but we were sitting in the 4th row from the back, dead centre and there were only about 40-50 people in the auditorium for the 4pm screening we were at. I can't imagine how bad it would be if the cinema was half full or more.

That is unfortunate. Even more unfortunate, that I know the staff there and only a few have some experience in customer service. The problem is: most people doing it for the pay cheque and have no interest in the business.

Unacceptable. There's such a thing as staff training for those that work the front line in service orientated businesses. It's real easy to have well trained staff if the culture within a company promotes good service and once again, cares about their customers. From what I see at Varsity & Scotiabank, Cineplex does not care (nor did Famous Players in their final few years).

I'm surprised and disappointed .... I agree it really ruined the movie, though it tended to bother people to differing degrees, my wife didn't really care, and some of the folks around us didn't either (but others did).

Back