8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

soaringshrimp

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm considering moving to Toronto from Vancouver to attend York University next year. From what I've read the York campus is in the middle of nowhere and about an hour away from downtown. Plus I've read the area there is rather sketchy, and there have been more than a few cases of sexual assaults on campus.

So for safety and convenience, I'm considering getting a car. I bus everywhere here in Vancouver, but obviously it's not as quick and comfortable a ride as being in your own car. I'll be taking classes at some of the community colleges too, so I'll be travelling around quite a bit. Given that the monthly metropass is a pricy $100, how does that compare to the monthly fuel expense of a car with good fuel economy?

And where do I look to find used cars in Toronto? I don't really know the first thing about buying a car. Another thing is I don't intend on staying past a year, so taking that into consideration, should I or shouldn't I get a car?

Where are you planning on living? And how wealthy are you?

There is TTC train service to Wilson, and then bus service directly to York campus. The travelling time from downtown via TTC would be less than a drive.

Having your own car has a lot of advantages. But you're facing several thousand dollars of costs.

I'd suggest you don't need the car. (unless you are wealthier than most students I've known) I'd say start off without the car, and if doesn't work, then get a car.

In addition, don't fall into the trap of only comparing transit costs to the cost of filling up your tank. There's also auto insurance (pricey if you're young), vehicle registration fees & taxes, plus the inevitable hundreds of dollars you'll have to pay when your engine breaks or your window gets smashed, etc. You'll save a ton of money without a car.

Parking at York probably costs a fair bit, too, I'd think.

If you're over 23 years old, then you may consider an auto-share program.

But in Toronto, you really don't need a car. A bicycle would be fine, since they will be expanding the bike paths and lanes around town, and especially if you live near the university.

TTC is better than other most other North American cities. Plan to use a monthly pass to get around everywhere, and there is an all night service.

Where are you planning on living? And how wealthy are you?

There is TTC train service to Wilson, and then bus service directly to York campus. The travelling time from downtown via TTC would be less than a drive.

Having your own car has a lot of advantages. But you're facing several thousand dollars of costs.

I'd suggest you don't need the car. (unless you are wealthier than most students I've known) I'd say start off without the car, and if doesn't work, then get a car.

Not wealthy, most definitely not wealthy. Well do I have to spend several thousands? I don't mind something a little beat up so long as it works. OK, but that is good advice, I don't have to have everything figured out straight away I guess.

I'll be 24, but I never considered all the auxiliary costs I'd have to pay. An old beat up car doesn't need insurance, does it? What's the auto share plan? I should look that one up...

Last edited:
I'll be 24, but I never considered all the auxiliary costs I'd have to pay. An old beat up car doesn't need insurance, does it? What's the auto share plan? I should look that one up...

Liability insurance is required by law. Auto insurance is a lot cheaper if you opt out of collision/comprehensive coverage, but you're still probably looking at somewhere around $100/month-ish.

I'd say more like $200, especially if the driver has not be continually insured. Another $100 - $200 for gas and repairs. And it's tough to buy a decent used car for less than $2000.

All in all, driving is not cheap, compared to transit.

Insurance is absolutely mandatory, you cannot skip it.

I was in my late 20s when I sold my last car, a 6-year-old Japanese compact, and it was costing me about $160/month to insure it (with a virtually flawless driving record). That was back in 2002, so I imagine prices have increased since then. Unless you're driving a real junker, I'd estimate $200 per month, easy.

The trade-off with old junkers, of course, is that they break down more frequently. And nothing is worse than having something suddenly blow up and finding yourself facing hundreds or even thousands in repair bills you weren't budgeting for. All the careful driving in the world won't prevent a stone from shattering your rad (happened to me, $600) or an idiot from smashing up your bumper while your car is parked and then taking off (happened to my friend, $1,200+).

Depending where you live, you may need to pay a monthly fee to park as well. This cost is highest right downtown ($100-150/month) and decreases as you move north into the suburbs, where it is eventually free. Something to think about if you want to live downtown and drive to university.

Also keep in mind: snow tires are highly recommended for Toronto driving, so you'll need two sets of tires, a place to store the unused set, and you'll probably have to pay someone twice a year to do the swap. You'll want to get an oil change done every 5K or so (not expensive, $20-30, but a pain in the ass). You'll also need to get the brake pads done every year or so ($100-200). Sure you can skip that maintenance stuff but then you risk a vastly more costly problem.

I personally found car ownership to be a money pit and a time suck. Nothing like working long hours 6 days a week and then spending that 7th days standing around the car repair shop. I don't miss those fun times. Nor the traffic jams of North Toronto and the assoholic angry fellow drivers, which I found myself turning into. Life is too short.

Despite what you might hear, Toronto's transit is pretty decent for a North American City. You can get where you need to go, even if it takes a bit longer. The costs are vastly less than driving. As a bonus, you can drink whenever you like without worrying about getting nailed for DUI (important concern for most students!). Bring a book, enrich your mind while you travel and let someone else worry about fighting the traffic.

Last edited:
There's frequent express bus service from Downsview station. I don't recommend the Finch buses cuz they're slower. They're so called express bus only expresses from Finch to Steeles. So if you plan to travel by TTC, live with access on the Downsview line, not the Finch. Otherwise you'll have to catch a connecting bus to cross the other line or take the slow bus at Finch.

Car is a luxury but it will cost you. However, bus is cheaper but can be an inconvenience because they stop running after certain hours and they can get very crowded. TTC is okay if you don't mind being sardined.

Last edited:
If you do get a car, get an auto club membership like CAA. Basic is $67.20, and you get 10 km limited towing (wait for the tow), booster charge when your car won't start in winter (2 hour wait?), and get your key out of your car when you lock yourself out (more waiting).

Yes, a car is faster. If it doesn't break down just when you need it the most.

Like everywhere else, some people in Toronto NEED a car, other people DESIRE a car and others do not have one for financial, emotional or environmental reasons. As has been said above, you can certainly do without a car here if you live near to work/school - or if both are on the subway or a direct bus or streetcar line. You can also rely, as I do, on occasional rentals and on a car share membership for the major shopping or tourist excursions. I suggest you need to find a place to live and a job BEFORE you decide.

York U is not in the middle of nowhere. It is most definitely situated in an urban context. York students commuting by car generally are coming from the far 'burbs where the public transit is poor. York is a transit hub for all of the public transit systems in the area. If you are planning to commute from downtown, subway to Downsview and then the Rocket (bus) is definitely the way to go.
(1) No way does it take an hour to get downtown by transit. I get from York to the far west end of the Toronto via St. George (downtown) plus a 10 min. walk in 1hr 20mins - 1 hr. 40 mins. Transit between York and downtown is easily quicker than driving, particularly at peak times.
(2) I travel alone (female) on public transit even very late at night (leaving York after 10.30 pm) and never once have I had a problem.
(3) As someone mentioned, parking costs at York are HUGE ($100+ per month), and there are long (years) waiting lists for the covered lots so expect a walk from a lot to the centre of campus.

And, I say it again - Fear not - York U is not the location of Law and Order. York is not particularly dangerous/ crime-ridden. The crime figures are comparable to any other university in the Golden Horseshoe of Ontario. There is petty theft if you leave valuables unattended. There have been a couple of sexual assault-type incidents reported on campus in the last couple of years. In almost all cases the assaults have turned out to be either false allegations or incidents between students known to one anther, usually in one of the residences. Having a car would not impact on any of these scenarios - don't use drugs, impairing your judgment and causing you to do things that you later regret. Period.
There are two incidents that don't fit my characterization - one isolated incident involved a stranger walking up to a student and touching her on the breast and walking away - the police were able to identify and pick up the non-York-associated previous offender within a day or two. It could have happened anywhere in the city. The other incident happened last week so I haven't heard the info yet...
York U has its faults - the need for a car isn't really one...

Last edited:
York U is kind of situated in the middle of nowhere compared to Ryerson and UofT. It's easier and quicker to get to those universities than to York. No matter if you're living east, west or north of the area, you just need to get into a subway station and it will take you there. Depending where you might have to take a short bus ride.

However to reach York, you have to take the bus from Downsview or Finch. Downsview bus is frequent and travels around 15-25 min. Finch takes around 30-35min. My experience traveling to York was 3-4 hrs (1.5-2 hrs each way) commute daily. It's a lot of time to lose traveling daily. Best to live near the subway station, drive or live on campus. I've once been stuck because I left late at night and couldn't make it through all the connections before the trains stopped running. And sometimes working in the computer room, I leave around 1am or so and miss the last bus so I end up sleeping at the bear pit lounge.

I'd get a motorcycle or scooter, since you can park in any on-street meter spot in the city for free. A used scooter can be had for under $1,000, and insurance after the first year or so would be about $500 a year max. Considering that a TTC MetroPass costs more than $1,200 annually, and that you can use the scooter likely 7-8 months of the year, it's a win. I ride my motorcycle all over downtown Toronto and as long as you're careful, you'll be fine. #1 rule though is ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time, drives me mad when I see scooter riders in open face helmets wearing flip flops.

Back